It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User
Stent Removal....HELP?

Okay I'm on my second stent. (BTW I'm 18)

My kidney was blocked by something and my urologist could not figure out what it was because no stones were showing on any of my xrays. So he first put a stent in to drain my kidney. After a few weeks he made me get this test where they put a catheder in me and test how much my kidneys work. So apparently it worked enough to keep it.

So then he went back in with a camera and found out that it was scar tissue that was blocking my kidney. So he cut it out and put a bigger stent in so it could heal around it. Apparently in that surgury I lost a lot of blood and after I was hospitalized for a week for a 103 fever. But anyway...

So in two weeks I get my stent out because it will be healed. I'm excited to get it out but I don't know what to expect. He told me he will be taking it out in his office and that's all he told me. I have an appt before I get it taken out so I'll ask questions then but I was just wondering...

How long does it take to be taken out?
How bad does it hurt?
Does it bleed?

Anything else anyone anyone can tell me with would help me greatly.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
(female)

redpanda HB User
Re: Stent Removal....HELP?

Your situation is a bit different than mine was. I had a kidney transplant 9 months ago and I was dreading the stent removal. I got all worked up over nothing. It took longer to get everything ready than it did to remove the stent. If you comparing the stent removal to the test that you had to check the kidney, the kidney test takes longer and is more uncomfortable than the stent removal.

I hope that helps a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
(female)

mitch4133 HB User

I had the same exact problem you did. I had the 2 stents, and the second stent was larger and they went in at cut my ureter bigger cause I too had scar tissue blocking my urine flow. I had my stent taken out in the office about 2 months ago. I am female, I assuming you are too?? It is not bad at all, believe me. I was freaking out when I went in there, I was shaking, I asked tons of questions, and I wasted all that energy on being scared for nothing. All they do is put you on the table (like for your annual vists) they put some numbing jelly down there which does not hurt just cold. Then the doctor will come in with the scope, it looks big, but trust me it doesn't hurt. He goes in there, grabs the stent then pulls it out. There is a little pressure, and you feel like you are peeing. It is no big deal and the whole process takes less that 5 minutes. Please don't worry. It is much worse having the stent in, then having it taken out.
How are you feeling now? When I had my stent in it was there for 5 months. And after it was removed, I felt worse off than before. I am way better now, but just keep in mind, I had lots of pain after the stent was removed. Not because of the actual removal, but just cause it was gone and wasn't helping it drain anymore. Let me know if you have any questions.
Michele

Last edited by mitch4133; 05-02-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

madejade HB User

I had a stent put in twice. Both times I was put asleep when it was removed. I always felt 200% better after removal. I would see about getting knocked out! I have never heard of it being removed in the office.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #5

Saphireteers HB User

my husband had it removed in the office while he was awake after his lithotripsy and he said it was no big deal, just felt wierd, slight pain only..like a burning and then it's over. its so quick it's not worth being put out over, no a ureterscopy or something, oh heck yeah definetely want to be put out for that.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Yeah, I'm female...19yrold.

I actually feel some pain sometimes with the stent. Like I feel like I could push it out..of course I cant..but it just feels that way.

Mich- So AFTER is when you felt the pain? Ah, I'm scared to hurt again as much as I was hurting when I got the first one in..with all the spasims by the stent.

I'm going to the doc today, I get it out in two weeks. I'm going to ask him how he goes about doing it. Just questions I guess. I've very nervous. I just want it out. I'm tired of feeling like I have to pee every two minutes. It's so annoying.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
(female)

mitch4133 HB User

I had really bad spasms in my kidney after it was removed. I mean, I could barely even walk. But they slowly went away, and I am feeling pretty good now. I have my Renal Scan on the 18th of this month to see if the procedure worked, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. If it didn't work, then they will remove part of my ureter and kidney.

But don't worry about getting the stent out, that is the easy part. Having the stent in is the worse part. Good luck and try not to worry. Let me know how it goes.

Michele

Old 05-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Okay, I get my stent out today.

I'm VERY nervous. I barely slept last night. My doctor gave me valuim and percocet to take before he takes it out. He didn't say anything about numbing it..so we shall see. I PRAY everything goes okay with this. With this stent in..I feel like crap and I pee at least 25-30 times a day.

Anyway, I'll let you know the outcome!

Old 07-08-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

Pamela20 HB User

I took my stents out at home acually my boyfriend did it, the Dr. told us to take them out it is no big deal.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Oh it didnt really hurt at all. I'm doing GREAT now (as for my kidney) and I go this month for an IVP test.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
(female)

azchick HB User

hello...
I have a stent being removed in the office on Friday the 12th of Aug. I am nervous and have read some scary things.... Glad I found this thread and will not waste time worrying... much... : P
I can't stand all this pain... I hope this all gets taken care of after this. The Dr. said I would have lost my kidney in 6 months had I not gone in the ER with such bad pain...well had my body not reacted that way..
I have been in pain for a long time I had surgery for cancer 12-13 yrs ago and I knew something was wrong but no Dr investigated enough! Anyway... Now I have an 8 cm stricture... if the stent doesn't work then I have to have surgery... That is scary too... Too much pain... but I guess that's just the way it is.

Closed Thread