It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

Nancyva HB User
abnormal cells

Hi,
I am new to the health boards. I have been to the doctors and they have found blood in my urine twice. The sent the sample out for evaluation and the results came back with blood in the urine, and abnormal cells. My doctor has sent me to a urologist and to get a ultra sound of the bladder. I am concerned-does "abnormal cells" mean cancer of the bladder? Are , there other conditions that can cause abnormal cells? Or, does abnorman cells always mean cancer? Thanks in advance from anyone who can help.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

Nancyva HB User
Question Re: abnormal cells

I was wondering why no one has responded to my post on the abnormal cells. I sure would appreciate anyone's expertise or experience on the subject.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

azchick HB User
Re: abnormal cells

I am hoping for u that it doen't mean that.... Maybe it's an infection.... don't project...a day at a time.
No expert just a fellow worrier.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

Nancyva HB User

Thanks az chick for your reply. I was beginning to think that no one wanted to say anything because the verdict is not so good?!? I know, don't project-but I have awhile to wait. Ultrasound is on the 19th of August, and Dr's appt. isn't until the 30th of August. That's along time to think..I am hoping it is only an infection, but wouldn't I have a fever for an infection? I feel good, they found it on a routine urine test. Anyway, thanks for the message, I know you are just trying to help. Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hi , Not an expert here, my daughter is going thru some of this. Abnormal cells could mean just that there are "things" in the urine like impurities that shouldn't be there. They aren't being filtered out I guess. My daughter had a UPJ obstruction and had surgery but now her kidney is still enlarged per her US. Her renal Lasix is on Thur and she sees the Nephologist on the 25th. Her Rheum dr called from Childrens today and said her urine tests were still abnormal even after her recent surgery in MAy and that her C4 was also Low.
Once I get the tests results I will get a better picture of what's going on. Hopefully her kidney lasix test will show her function is better.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
(female)

onekidney HB User

Nancyva:

Abnormal cells are caused by many things. It could be kidney stones(cureable), infection without fever, etc., Doctors need to think about what they are saying to patients. Abnormal cells definitely do not always mean cancer.

You left out a lot of information. Have you had recurrent uti's? Are you in menopause? Do you have any blood disorders of genetics? You probably don't have anything serious, its just important that you get treatment....take it from me..ol' "onekidney"

Deniise

Old 08-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

Nancyva HB User

Hi One Kidney,
Thanks for your input. I have never had any uti's, but I have had blood in my urine before. But it is sporadic, so no diagnosis was done. I am 54, and through menopause. No period for three years!! Yeah!! Anyway, I do had a heriditary blood condition. I have thalassemia trait. I am not sick from it just a carrier. It would have only been a problem if I had had any children, but we never did, so no problem there.
I have no other symptoms but blood in my urine. I have had lower back pain, below the waist on the left side for a long time, I was e-rayed about a year ago and have degenerative disc disease with bone spurs, so I blamed the back ache on that.
I have none of the classic uti symptoms. I feel pretty good otherwise. Only blood in my urine and abnormal cells in my urine.
Any more input from you would be nice, you have eased my mind somewhat. Thanks, Nancyva

Old 08-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
(female)

onekidney HB User

You are welcome.

I am also 54, three years past periods (yeah) Look up the thalassemia trait symptoms, many of the heridtary blood disorders cause blood in the urine when we get older. Traits have symptoms too, not just diseases.

You will be okay.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
(female)

Dkmdkm HB User

Hi Nancy,
How did your tests turn out? I am a 54 year old female with same symptoms as you. I also was told I have "abnormal cells" but that does not necessarily mean cancer. From everything I see on the internet it looks like 95% of the time it DOES indicate cancer. I hope I am wrong. I had a cat scan and IVP today. Will get results on Monday but can't help worrying. I hope you had good news and I hope I will too.
Let me know. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

The joy of Jane HB User

Hi, so what were your results?

Closed Thread