It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

shortysmom HB User
kidney damage from taking ibuprofen???

I have had headaches for the last 20 years and I have taken so much Ibuprofen, Tylenol and Excedrin over the years. I have to take something just about every day. I am worried what this is doing to my kidneys. What should I look for?

Old 09-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
(male)

jdubbs HB User
Re: kidney damage from taking ibuprofen???

from what my doctor told me tylenol is the safest for your kidney.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

French horn HB User
Lightbulb Re: kidney damage from taking ibuprofen???

Wow! I didn't even see this thread. If I had I probably would have commented on it because of my Mom.

My Mom has something called Minimal Change Disease (you can look it up if you want) and they Nephrologist that saw her when they discovered it said that given her history, it may have been brought on constant Ibuprofen use. My Mom would just pop some Ibuprofen in every time her arthritis acted up. That was a lot. Come to find out, Mom never even used Tylenol, ever! Her first systems were fluid build up in her legs and trunk area. Don't ignore it if you have it. See a Doctor, please. The more fluid you retain... the harder and longer it takes you to get rid of it.

I would be very cautious, shortysmom, of using it too much. Ibuprofen is filtered through the kidney somehow, so every time you take it, it goes through your kidney.

From what I know, Tylenol filters through your liver. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not sure about Excedrin. I know that it is a relative of aspirin and can harm your stomach if not taken with food. I remember my Dad taking aspirin on an empty stomach often and he developed holes in his stomach. I guess by all logic, it was ulcers. I was a teenager... a VERY long time ago, sorry. I'm not sure if they were calling it that or not.

I know that this seems like... fine... then what do I take then? I think the key is Ibuprofen in great moderation, Tylenol and aspirin type drugs with food.

I would also suggest you take a look at some herbal remedies for you headaches. Visit the headache board and look under the post by me that is titled Herbals and Migrains. (I know Migraine is spelled wrong... I'm a bad speller) Some people posted about different herbals that you can use for headaches.

Hope this helps, if you are still on the message board for this!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Shorty,

Ibuprofen is filtered through the kidneys and can do irreversible damage if taken in large quantities (not at one time, but over a period of time). Tylenol is mostly metabolized by the liver, but some of it does go through the kidneys. BE CAREFUL! I know you are just trying to relieve your pain, but these OTC drugs can be very harmful to your organs. You may want to get some bloodwork done by your doc to make sure everything is alright. Your doc could tell you how often you can take the OTC meds without causing any damage. Just my opinion.

Take care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-12-2005 at 02:42 PM.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

My now 12 yr old has daily headaches due to what we now know is a congenital brain defect. She lived on bottles of liquid Motrin and the decogestant that they took off the market, the name escapes me now.
We found out in March that she also had a congenital UPJ obstruction as well as a lg ovarian "mass" as the drs called this benign 8cmx6cmx6cm growth in her left ovary.
At the time she was also on Topamax for her H/As another no-no for kidneys , hence the drs decision to do a kidney US. Thank God her Neuro dr was at least worried about her childhood history of UTIs and possibility of Topamax and kidney stones. Now I think about all the poisons I put into her kidneys all these yrs unknowingly.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

French horn HB User

Bhuneke,

You poor thing! Please don't beat yourself up about it! We parents always do what we hope to be the best thing for our kids. Bless you heart... that's all you were trying to do! We all understand that better when we are parents ourselves. Suddenly we see our parents in a different light. Instead of blaming we see them as just trying to the best they could with what they had to work with.

I will pray for your daughter and for you.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

ttcpowell HB User

My husband damaged his kidney from prolonged use of ibuprofen. His mother suffered from arthritis for years, my husband played basketball and football in high school and college and broke several bones, because of that he assumed his joint pain was from arthritis so instead of seeking medical treatment he took ibuprofen for years daily. When his normal dose was no longer effective, he just took more. Finally one day he went to a doctor, turns out he never had arthritis, just gout and his kidney was damaged. He went on dialysis, then home dialysis (PD) then he received a kidney transplant 5 years ago. Everything was fine until this summer when he got food poisoning which prevented his meds from staying down, it affected his kidneys, he went on an experimental medicine that comes from rabbits and is now back on PD.

His older brother who was lost to the world for 5 years (crack addict) called to say he was sick, something was wrong with his kidneys. He would have to go on dialysis. He had heard that my husband was sick as well. I asked him had he ever taken ibuprofen, He said yes, 6-8 pills a day because he had arthritis from his mother. I called his doctor to tell him about my husband thinking maybe it wasn't the ibuprofen but maybe something hereditary, after running test on my brother-in-law, it was indeed the ibuprofen, my brother-in-law also had gout, not arthritis. (strange footnote, the dialysis ended my brother-in-laws crack habit, he looks better than he has in years.)

I tell EVERYONE I know, be careful with prolonged use of ibuprofen, as with all medicines, read the box.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I really don't think that in certain circumstances that either one(tylenol and ibuprofen)are just plain 'safe".They both are very hard on the kidneys and the liver,both.Tylenol is actually just as hard on the kidneys as it is on the liver but for some reason,you never hear about that part.there are thousands of people who end up on dialysis every year due to tylenol and ibu toxicity.the more i learn about these two meds,honestly,the more scarey they seem to become.Even taking either one of these things on a regular basis over a period of years will cause a damage.it is cumulative.i think there really needs to be much better education availiable to patients and to their docs.i don't think maybe half of the docs out there today fully realize the impact of telling their patients to keep taking that extra strength tylenol and the 800mg motrin every single day,day in and day out,really has on their bodies,even taking a lower dose of these meds but on a constant everyday basis will catch up with some,the others are just lucky.these just were touted for so very long as safe and easy ascess,no docs,just take them when you feel any sort of pain,right?think about how 'automatic" some doses are that you take your self and you give your children?child has a fever,tylenol,your knee is really bothering you today,tylenol and or motrin of some form.if these just weren't thought of for so long as 'benign" I don't think we would be seeing these many toxicity problems at all.people just don't use the same cautions when taking these meds themselves or their children as they would ANY sort of Rx type med.any type of Rx always sends the little caution flag up at least a bit,doesen't it?Does that happen with tylenol and or ibuprofen?In most cases,no.we need to make it feel that way so they really do think twice about taking anything that they really do not need as bad as they think they do.
okay,i will get off my box now.lol.there really needs to be alot more info out there about this than there currently is,really.Marcia

i really think that the drug manufacturers owe it to their consumers to really really try and educate the people who buy and use their products.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User
Cool Re: kidney damage from taking ibuprofen???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysmom
I have had headaches for the last 20 years and I have taken so much Ibuprofen, Tylenol and Excedrin over the years. I have to take something just about every day. I am worried what this is doing to my kidneys. What should I look for?
I had the same problem. Chronic headaches -- not migraines, but I literally popped from 2 to 12 pain relieving pills every day for years -- 15-20 years. I have lost kidney function and the nephrologist suspects the ibuprofen.

Now, I take acetaminophen (Tylenol or Excedrin) when I have a headache. If I am in a bind and don't have Tylenol around, I will occasionally take an Aleve (naxopren) or ibuprofen -- but I try not to.

The good news is that I get only 2-3 headaches a week now. Got rid of thos buggers by seriously decreasing my sugar intake.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

daynerd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
I really don't think that in certain circumstances that either one(tylenol and ibuprofen)are just plain 'safe".They both are very hard on the kidneys and the liver,both.Tylenol is actually just as hard on the kidneys as it is on the liver but for some reason,you never hear about that part.there are thousands of people who end up on dialysis every year due to tylenol and ibu toxicity.the more i learn about these two meds,honestly,the more scarey they seem to become.Even taking either one of these things on a regular basis over a period of years will cause a damage.it is cumulative.i think there really needs to be much better education availiable to patients and to their docs.i don't think maybe half of the docs out there today fully realize the impact of telling their patients to keep taking that extra strength tylenol and the 800mg motrin every single day,day in and day out,really has on their bodies,even taking a lower dose of these meds but on a constant everyday basis will catch up with some,the others are just lucky.these just were touted for so very long as safe and easy ascess,no docs,just take them when you feel any sort of pain,right?think about how 'automatic" some doses are that you take your self and you give your children?child has a fever,tylenol,your knee is really bothering you today,tylenol and or motrin of some form.if these just weren't thought of for so long as 'benign" I don't think we would be seeing these many toxicity problems at all.people just don't use the same cautions when taking these meds themselves or their children as they would ANY sort of Rx type med.any type of Rx always sends the little caution flag up at least a bit,doesen't it?Does that happen with tylenol and or ibuprofen?In most cases,no.we need to make it feel that way so they really do think twice about taking anything that they really do not need as bad as they think they do.
okay,i will get off my box now.lol.there really needs to be alot more info out there about this than there currently is,really.Marcia

i really think that the drug manufacturers owe it to their consumers to really really try and educate the people who buy and use their products.
I didn't realize Tylenol was just as bad for the kidneys? What do you recommend (or take yourself) for bad aches/pains?

Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am currently on opiates due to severe pain from spinal cord damage so my pain is pretty well treated but i do take an occasional aleeve or even once in a great while,tylenol.but both of those meds are taken very rarely now.taking tylenol or ibu is fine once in a while and normally wont hurt you at all.it is when it is taken at higher than the norm doses or even taken at the norm doses but for a very long period of time,that the problems actually start.Marcia

Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
(female)

nr2go HB User

I use to take Ibuprofen on a monthly basis for years. I often worried about taking it so often, but there was nothing else that I could take other then prescription strength pain killers for primary dysmenorrhea. My other alternative was to take the BC pill which on a long term basis also has major side effects depending on your age. Anyway, I have since been turning to natural remedies which I am finding quite effective . In fact I haven't had to take pain killers for my dysmenorrhea in a couple of years.

I thought you headache suffers might be interested in the use of peppermint oil used topically. It's very effective in can be applied to the temples at the onset of the headache and every hour after that or until you feel better. You don't need a lot, just about a drop to each temple. I've used it and it seems to work for me.

I haven't totally turned to the use of natural products, because like prescription and OTC meds they too can have serious side effects. For instance, peppermint oil can be taken orally as well, but taken orally it too has some side effects particularly on the stomach especially if you have stomach related problems.

My two cents for what's it's worth!

Closed Thread