It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
WHY have i got Dialated kidneys??

Hiya all,

I just wondered if anybody knew what caused kidneys to dialate?? I had a scan today which showed there is no flow what so ever from the right kidney which dialated to 2.5 and the left is 1.4 and is doing both kidneys work.
Been in pain for nearly 3months now and looks like i am going to need another stent which has upset me as all my test were clear yet the sonographer told me today that i have an obvious bilateral kidney problem, has anybody got any ideas about possible causes of this.
ANY REPLY WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Thanks Summer x

Last edited by Summermoon; 08-27-2005 at 09:32 AM. Reason: needed more information

Old 08-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Re: Dialated kidneys??

P.S.......

I have been getting kidney stones for past 19months and so far have had about 15+ stones with more still in both kidneys and the tuber.

PLEASE SOMEBODY I'M REALLY WORRIED..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

French horn HB User

You poor thing! I am really not qualified to answer this but I thought you needed to know that somebody has read your message.

I have a question though... are one of your kidney stones large enough to block your tube therefore causing your right kidney to not function and dilate? Just a thought but this is something that you would want to ask your Urologist.

If you have a stint... it's not fun at all but it would be better than having your kidney shut down completely. I'm kind of surprised that your Urologist is taking the wait and see approach to this. One kidney that isn't flowing seems alarming enough to do something NOW!

Summermoon, if I were you I would get on the horn to your Urologist and tell him or her that you are frightened about this. You pay them to treat not just body but mind too. We all need to stop looking at them as some kind of Pre-Madonna's and everyone needs to realize that they are human beings and so are we. Just my two cents on this. Keep us informed what happens. I'll be praying for you.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

sillyeva2 HB User

Hi, Summermoon!!!

I also have a dilated right kidney; but because my urine test didn't grow any bacteria this time ( I often do and have in the previous month ) ; he says it's nothing for me to be concerned about. Which is fine except I have awful pain on both sides in the kidney area and on my right it radiates down into my groin. A friend of mine told me the most likely cause of renal dilation is a large stone or something obstructing the ureter. I read that this can be caused by something like a cyst on your ovary as well.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Unhappy Re: Dialated kidneys??

Hiya Thanks for your messages,

I have 4 kidney stones stuck in the right tube and they are not sure about the left side.
They was abit surprised that the left side was dialated though they could see stones in the kidney but the flow from the left side was fine, they think it could be dialated as it is doing the job of both kidneys and also my kidney functions were 45% on 1 kidney and 55% in the other.

Thanks again Tracey(Summer) xx

Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Unhappy Updated 2.9.05

Hiya all,

I went to the hospital today and found out i have a problem called HYPERCALCIURIA , had a test for my parathyroid gland and bone profile.
When i had my scan last week it showed my kidney was dialated to 2.5 on the right side and was not functioning at all which they thought was caused by the stones stuck in the tubes, however today the dr told me that there was no reason why the stones should'nt have passed due to only being small in size and has ordered a scan for my renal function which was 45% and 55% a year ago, my left kidney was dialated to 1.4 but was fully functionable. Dr said got to have medication for rest of my life but cant prescribe the needed meds until all results are back
Has anybody else had this or know anything about it as i am really scared and have never heard of this problem.

Thanks all Summer xx

Last edited by Summermoon; 09-02-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

French horn HB User

Summer,

You can look it up on *****.com. Hope that helps.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply french horn, i really appreciate it .

Summer xx

Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Too much calcuim can effect the kidneys in many ways as well. I have about 35% failure in both from a Dr. overdosing my calcium. I have parathyroid disease. You might need to get the calcium checked.

Sandra

Old 09-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

French horn HB User

Caution here folks. I'm sure that SandraM isn't saying not to take calcium! The reason I say this is because when I was just at the doctors on Friday... he stressed just because my stones are made of calcium oxalate dosen't mean that I need to stay away from calcium. Matter of fact he said that studies have proved that calcium might even aid in the decrease of calcium oxalate stones! Sounds crazy but I have heard this from multiple sources.
Now does this mean go and megga dose on calcium? NO! But it does mean take it, don't avoid it. Especially you women out there!

Have a good Labor Day!

Old 09-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

SandraM HB User

Yes French Horn. Everyone still needs calcium...in the proper moderations. Just make sure you don't go overboard. This is where my problems started, which is what my Dr. did. He gave me way too much.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Question Re: Dialated kidneys??

Hiya all,

Just wondered if anybody knew about creatnine levels, my kidney function was 45% left side?? and 55% 18 months ago, my right kidney has stopped working yet my creatnine level was fine i thought if your kidney function was out then your creatnine levels were all out of sorts, am i wrong!!
Hope all is well

Also been having pain in my bottom ribs the pharmacist would not give me painkillers due to the query on renal function, she said because my kidney is so badly dialated maybe its pushing against the ribs has any1 else had this happen to them??

Cya Summer xx

Last edited by Summermoon; 09-10-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Closed Thread