It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
did any of you have trouble with peritoneal dialysis?

My mother just began peritoneal dialysis and is surprised at some of the problems she is having. For one thing, it has been somewhat painful, which she didn't expect, and the lady training her said it shouldn't be painful. Also, she feels so full of liquid and has so much pressure that sometimes she feels like she can't stand up. She feels a lot of pressure on her bladder. She is wondering if her bladder is in the wrong place or something.

Does anyone know if these feelings will get better or go away...and if they are normal? Any help/advice would be appreciated. She is pretty discouraged right now. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: did any of you have trouble with peritoneal dialysis?

The feeling of fullness will go away. How long has she been on PD?

The most important thing to remember is to keep proper hygiene while doing an exchange. Otherwise peritonitis can be the result. Everyone I know that got peritonitis can pinpoint what they did to give it to themselves.

I had problems with pain. it was due to my endometriosis. I also had clogging of the catheter because I had such a severe case. Pain can also be caused by dialysate not being warm enough although it's a nice way to cool down a bit from the inside out on very hot summer days.

Good luck to you.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

She's only been doing PD for 4 days. I'm hoping it gets easier!

Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
(male)

Marko1962 HB User

I was on PD for 14 months and in the beginning it can be painful and uncomfortable. I felt like I was pregnant (i'm a bloke btw ) and especially during the first few weeks when I was walking I had pains under my diaphram so a slow walk was all I could do. Filling and emptying was often painful especially when starting a fill, i'm sure I could feel the fluid hitting the bottom of my peritoneal cavity. Also when emptying I often felt a sucking feeling when empty. It does get better and easier over the weeks, just need to persevere, keep good hygene and oh be careful not to allow any air in when filling. Over time these problems will just be an unhappy memory...

I have one funny memory to recount. Not long after starting PD my drain time all of a sudden went up to nearly an hour from 15 minutes... One X-ray later it was confirmed that the canula was caught up in a layer of fat high in the peritoneal cavity so was not draining properly. Do you know what they wanted me to do for a week before resorting to surgery? jump up and down as fast and as high as I could twice a day for week boing boing boing.. didn't work though but it was funny trying to explain to someone why a 42 year old man was jumping around like a lunatic

Last edited by Marko1962; 09-20-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

Hey thanks for the responses.

Mark, why did you only do PD for 14 months?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
(male)

Marko1962 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorie
Hey thanks for the responses.

Mark, why did you only do PD for 14 months?
I was fortunate to have my mother donate a kidney to me in June this year

Hasn't been without problems though see http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=1949008#post1949008 for my latest challenges...

Its easy in the beginning to lose heart especially when problems occur but optimism goes a long long way to seeing you through those problems until you start to see the light at the end of along tunnel but before you know it those problems become just like water under the bridge

Last edited by Marko1962; 09-20-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
(female)

deedee1313 HB User

My husband was on PD for 5 monthes.There was a lot of pressure in the beginning.Talk to the doctor about putting a little less in.The only problem my husband had was he wouldn't be hungry or he couldn't eat enough.If that happens adjust your eating times.They told my husband to drain out but not to start filling right away.He would then eat.After he was done then he would fill up.But don't unhook anything while you are doing this.My husband got an infection which called for the removal of his catheter.Since that time he has had a new one put in but they can't get it to work.Pd is his dialysis of choice and he is looking forward to the day when he can go back on it.Good luck to you.

Closed Thread