It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Question How do you know if you have passed a kidney stone

Hiya all ,

Well i am having my emergency scintigraphy renogram tomorrow after finding my right kidney is not working and badly dialated to 2.5+ aswell the renal tube and left kidney is 1.5+ my back is still killing me 12 weeks later.

My Dr keeps asking me if i have passed any of the stones that they saw on the ct and ultrasound(12 altogether)?? Although i have been passing water through the strainer as suggested by my dr i am not sure if i would notice if i did pass a stone as each time i have had to have them removed .

What do they look like??
Do they float if i passed 1??
would i feel it??

Even though i have had 15 in the past i have needed help getting rid of them so i am so confused about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,any reply would be greatly appreciated .

Love and light to all Summer xx

Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: How do you know if you have passed a kidney stone

Hi Summer,

I can only tell you what mine look like, since there are different chemical compositions to stones. (mine are calcium oxlate...which are the most common)

They vary in color from dark brown/light brown mixed with white cyrstals. I can actually see the crystals. I always know when I'm about to pass one because of the intense pain and pressure in the bladder area. Also, right before (can vary from a couple of days to weeks) before the stone comes out, I start peeing ALOT of blood and blood clots. If I'm not straining and it's not too bloody, I can see the stone at the bottom of the toilet. Generally, the stones are going to be too heavy to float.

If you have just had litho done, you are going to see alot of dark sandy material mixed with stone fragments (if you are straining).

I hope this has helped. Take care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-29-2005 at 03:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User

Hiya K queen,

Thanks so much for your reply, i was just wondering as i know i have'nt passed a stone due to the size they normally are but dr says these are quite small and i was wondering would i know if i had........ as you do .
Do you know what happens on the renograms what should i expect tomorrow?? is there really 6wks to wait to find out your results seems like ages away.
Hope your well huni and taking care .

Love and light Summer xx

Old 09-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Summer,

How did your renogram go? I assume you live in either the UK or Canada because I have not heard of this term before. What is a renogram? Is it an ultrasound or CT scan? 6 wks. to find out the results?? That's unheard of here (the States). I can usually convince the techs to let me look at my CT scans (they are not supposed to let me see, but most of them do). The longest I ever had to wait for radiology reports was 48 hrs. That was only because my doc was out of town (didn't really matter anyway, the techs let me see the pictures. LOL).

Anyway, just wondering how you are doing. Take care

Old 09-20-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Talking Re: How do you know if you have passed a kidney stone

Hiya hun,

Yeah i live in the UK hun, I had the scan yesterday it was 1 where they used a diuretic then isotope dye to see the whatever inside is going on?? They wont see me till end of october even though my kidney is still obstructed will they make me wait?? I dont even know what that scan was for yesterday!! will it give me any conclusive ideas as to what is going on with my kidneys.
Hope your well and thanks for your support huni .

Cya Tracey xx

Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Summer,

It sounds like you had an IVP done (intravenous Pyelogram). They should not make you wait if your kidney is obstructed. After 2 weeks of total obstruction, your kidney would stop functioning!! The scan should be able to tell your doc if there are any stones, how many, if kidney or ureter is obstructed (and to what degree - mild, moderate, or high), and how well the kidney and ureter drain (obviously, not very well if there is an obstruction). If you are obstructed, this is considered an emergency!! I would think they would tell you this as soon as they found it. You generally have only a 2 week window before permanent kidney damage (and kidney death) is done.

Are you still having pain? Is it constant? Does it vary in severity? The times that I have been completely obstructed, emergency open surgery was required. The reason I ask about your pain is because the longer the obstruction went on, the pain eased up. I was later told this is because kidney damage was occurring. The nerves were dying off due to the obstruction. I don't want to scare you, but if something serious is going on, you should hear something soon. If you just have stones (like that isn't serious enough, LOL), then you probably will not hear anything until later. Keep posting, ok??

Take care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-22-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User
Unhappy Re: How do you know if you have passed a kidney stone

Hiya hun,

I have still got lots of discomfort where they said the obstruction is, cant sit upright for long as it hurts to much if i walk around to much it hurts if i lay on my back it hurts waking up in night so much trying to move around to more comfy position.
I've been in pain 12wks now, went into urology clininc today and said its just not funny any more i feel like some1 has a pin on my inside poking me in the very bottom of my back they said the obstruction is in tube but could'nt see where yet say they cant bring my appointment forward as they have no space till my appointment end of october .
Getting fed up now .

Take care huni xx

Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Summer,

I'm so sorry you are having alot of pain and discomfort! I wish I could do something for you. I can't believe they are making you wait like this. From what I understand, you HAVE a documented obstruction. Why isn't anything being done??? I guess the healthcare system has flaws anywhere you live. Do you have any meds to help with the pain? Please keep posting, ok??

Take care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-26-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User

Hiya k queen,

How are you huni?? Thanks for your reply they have give me some diclofenic for the pain but wont give me the meds i need until they have the results back, I feel uncomfortable even when i sit down they said i need lifetime meds just waiting for all the results so they can work out what to do for the best.
Do you have hypercalciuria?? they say i've got hydronephrosis.
What i am worried about is i am a nurse and where i feel uncomfortable alot i dont feel like i can go on as this is such a physical job i am worried about my work.
What do you think will this flank kidney pain ease once i get all my meds or do i need a new job lol.

Hope your ok hun Tracey xx

Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Summer,

Yes, I have hypercalciuria (high urinary calcium) and I also have hypercalcemia (high blood calcium). They have told you that you are hydronephrotic?? Summer, this is very serious! Like I said in a previous post, you generally have only a 2 week window with hydronephrosis before irreversible and permanent kidney damage are done....you can even lose all function in the obstructed kidney! I don't understand what your docs are thinking, or LACK of thinking.

I completely understand about your work. I have never been able to hold a full time job. I tried working part time (no more than 20 hrs. per week) but I cannot do this either. My body can barely tolerate standing for 30 mins. at a time. I'm only 34, and yet all these surgeries and everything I've been through the past 25 years (this started when I was 9 years old), I feel like I'm in my 60's! The reason I can barely stand is not directly related to kidney stones, but indirectly. Remember me telling you I have osteopenia? That means I'm loosing bone mass from my lumbar spine, total hip, and radial arm. Basically, I'm loosing bone mass everywhere. After osteopenia is osteoporosis. FUN, FUN! Anyway, my body keeps dumping calcium from my bones. So, not only am I loosing bone mass, I'm making stones at the same time. This is also why I have high blood calcium....leaking it from my bones. It's all related to me having primary hyperparathyroidism. Anyway, I don't know what to tell you about your pain improving. HOPEFULLY, it will completely go away once your stone and obstruction situation is taken care of. When they talk of lifetime meds, they are probably talking about putting you on a thiazide diuretic. This will decrease your urinary calcium. Do you eat alot of salt or sodium containing products? The excess salt will also increase your urinary calcium level.

As far as your work, can you afford to work part time? I assume you are working full time. Do you have another source of income (are you married or maybe have a super rich boyfriend???) LOL

Well, take care and let me know how you are doing, ok??? As far as me, I'm doing as well as can be expected. I'll be ok. Bye for now.

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-27-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Summermoon HB User

Hiya huni,

I really feel for you huni, I am 33yrs of age and have only had this for a couple of years although i have had a couple of probs that could be related for few years longer than that.......pain that they thought was associated with arthritis in my leg, ankle, hip and wrist joints which can be really painful aswell at times all came back clear for arthrithis.
I dont work at the moment as i was due to go college this month to train in the nursing field, but my back aches to stand for periods at a time so unsure what to do for the best .
You take care huni i am thinking of you and send healing thought to you .

Take care hun Tracey xx

Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Summer,

How are you feeling today? Thanks for the healing thoughts....I really appreciate it. Are you still having alot of pain? Does it ever get better, and then get worse? I take it you haven't heard anything yet about your scan. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be!! Do you have any pain meds that are strong enough to help you? If you don't have any, can your doc give you an Rx for something? I really feel bad for you, Summer. I wish I could help you somehow. This time, I'll be sending healing thoughts YOUR way!

Take care

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-29-2005 at 02:10 PM.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
(male)

mbede HB User

kstone queen,

Just a quick question for you... Have you ever had a tingling sensation in the arm and/or leg on the same side where you had the kidney stone?
Sometime is bothering me not knowing if it is the stone causing it... Told the dr but he didn't listen to it too much...
mbede

Old 09-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi mbede,

I've never had any type of tingling sensations, except, after I've had a lithotripsy done. For a couple of days, that side of my body where the surgery was done (mainly in the back) would sort of feel like "pins and needles" along with the pain that comes from having lithotripsy done. Those are the only times I've experienced that type of sensation. Sorry, I wasn't much help to you. Do you have another doc you can explain your symptoms to? You need to listen to your body (which you are doing by telling your doc about your symptoms). If that doc isn't taking you seriously or is brushing you off, I would find another doc and explain what is going on. These sensations are not considered normal. It could be something very minor and could be fixed if caught early (assuming something could be done about it). Or, it could be a warning sign of something serious that might not be able to fix as easily if it lingers too long. Make sense??

Anyway, if I were you, I would get a second, or third opinion. Take care and I hope everything is ok.

Last edited by friendly_one; 09-30-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
(male)

mbede HB User

Thanks Kstone Queen,

Will just do that.

Closed Thread