It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #1

Ranger Walker HB User
UTI after passing stone?

I passed a 4mm stone two weeks ago. Since then I've developed a moderately painful burning in my bladder area, and some general moderate pain in my flanks and in my back. At times it's worse in front, at times in back.

I had a cat scan, x-ray, and IVP which indicate no stones in the ureters, and just a few tiny ones still in my kidneys. Urine tests show no bacteria, so docs are ruling out UTI.

I just wanted to see if anyone had similar symptoms after passing a stone. Some folks are guessing that my system's just not recovered, but it's my fourth stone and I've never taken so long to get well. Still others are theorizing that some amoxicillin I took upon the start of the bladder pain might be returning a false negative on the urine tests, masking the UTI. No blood or WBC in the urine, blood tests all came back clean (only slightly heightened albumin levels, which I understand usually indicate dehydration). CT rules out appendix, etc.

Thought I'd come here with fellow travelers to see if anybody can crack the mystery. If anybody has any questions about what they're going through, I'd be happy to try and opine. It's an odd fraternity/sorority of people who suffer from this terrible blight, and it's good that there's a place like this for support.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
(female)

Soccerchck HB User
Re: UTI after passing stone?

It sounds like you definately have a UTI or a kidney infection. I had the saem thing happen to me in May. I was giving an antibiotic *just in case* and then when I started vomiting from pain and fever the ER said I was negative for a UTI or kidney infection when that was definately what I had. The antibiotics really mess with the results. I would go see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #3

Ranger Walker HB User

Thanks. I conferred with my doctor and he's going to put me on Cipro. He does not think I have a UTI, but figures Cipro is at least relatively safe (I hope he's right) so it's worth a shot. As a side note, he said there's a way-outside chance my symptoms could result from some kind of prostate flare-up--even though I'm only 26--and the Cipro can help that as well.

Thanks for your input, and I really hope you are feeling better. Did you end up taking antibiotics, and did they work?

Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

Soccerchck HB User

I took Cipro by IV (I ended up pretty sick after my delay with the ER docs) and it took a few days to work but it cleared everything up within a week. Thanks.

Closed Thread