It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

tiredofbingsick HB User
Anyone with kidney stones tired all the time?

Well...here is my story....
In Feb 03, I began feeling chronically fatigued, night sweats, dark circles under eyes, etc. Went to Dr and after bloodwork was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism which was a little strange because I am very thin. Anyway, began taking synthroid and started feeling better.
About that time, began to have lower back pain and pressure under ribcage. I waited nine months and finally couldn't stand it anymore. On ultrasound they found hydronephrosis (water on both kidneys) and further testing found multiple stones in both kidneys and narrowed ureters. Urologist decided to perform a procedure while I was under general anesthesia to stretch right ureter at kidney junction and place a stent. I then had lithotripsy done 2 months later on right kidney stones. Urologist was satisfied that he had eliminated my stones, the biggest one being 9mm , and did not want to see me for 6 months. Well, he sucked becasue I went back to my general doctor who ordered an IVP and was found to have a 5mm and 4mm stone in right kidney. So basically,, he broke my stone in half.
Around this time, I was starting to experience chronic anxiety..fight or flight feeling all the time. I went off the synthroid and felt much better. Had bloodwork and no longer had hypothyroidism.
Also, I switched urologists. Found one affiliated with major university who specializes in laparoscopic surgery to repair narrow ureters. After more tests, he determined that although my kidneys are shaped weird and the ureters are very small, my kidney function is within normal limits. So, he did not want to do a laparoscopic repair and instead he decided to do a regular basket retrieval while I was under general anesthesia to retrieve the stones. However, he was unsuccessful because the ureters were too narrow at the kidney junction and the stones slipped away. He placed a stent and wanted to see me back in one week to do the surgery again. Do to scheduling difficulty, we were never able to get it done. I insisted after 6 weeks that the stent come out thinking that is why I felt so terrible, but I feel just as bad with the stent out.
So, after more xrays and consult, we have opted to do another lithotripsy..hopefully he has better skills than last urologist, on December 23rd. In the meantime, I am exhausted ALL THE TIME I yawn all day! I dont know what the problem is. I work from 8-2 everyday and then pick my son up at 2:30. By the time I get home, I can barely function. I am irritable all the time! Does anyone else with kidney stones feel this way. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am getting to where I need a nap so bad, I cannot even keep my eyes open.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: Anyone with kidney stones tired all the time?

I understand your frustration. Please, be careful with the lithotripsies. I've had over 30+ of them and my kidney is badly damaged from them. You can read my story titled "newbie here--but extremely familiar with kidney stones". It's on this page a few threads down. I'm tired all the time, as well. But, this could be due to the potent pain meds I take daily, or my damaged kidney. Who really knows for sure. I wish you luck and please be careful with multiple lithotripsies. You don't want to end up like me.

Last edited by friendly_one; 12-20-2005 at 10:16 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to friendly_one For This Useful Post:
loneredhorse (04-10-2012)
Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

tiredofbingsick HB User
Re: Anyone with kidney stones tired all the time?

Thanks for your reply kstone_queen. Well, I had my second lithotripsy done and according to my KUB, I currently am stone free. My doc has sent me for a renal ultrasound and another 2-24 hour collections. So, hopefully I am almost at the end of my stone problem for the time being.
However, he told me I need to go see a good GI doc b/c upon xray, my ascending colon has calcifications in it. He said this part of the colon still has softened food (oatmeal consistency) and should not be showing up on xray!!
Has anyone with kidney stones had this? I was not worried about this on Wednesday when he told me, but I am starting to obsess about it tonight!!

Last edited by tiredofbingsick; 01-27-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Closed Thread