It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #1

nikkiC HB User
8ry old just dx with kidney stones?

Hi,
After two bouts of bloody urine, my son was diagnosed with two kidney stones and calcium crystals in his urine. He is otherwise, completely healthy. He was put on a strict low sodium diet and we are clueless at to what is ok and what isnt. I know to read the labels but what about drinks? He is supposed to increase his fluids but we are having a tough time with water. Is koolaid or lemonade ok? Anyone else experience this please respond. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User
Re: 8ry old just dx with kidney stones?

Hi Nikki....I can relate. I was dx with stones at age 9. You can read my story on this page a few threads down titled "newbie here----but extremely familiar with kidney stones". My stones are calcium oxlate as well. Water is the best fluid, but kool aid and lemonade are fine. Just stay clear of dark sodas (coke and dr. pepper). Sprite and 7-up are fine. I'm sure your doc gave you a list of what to avoid, if not, just let me know and I can tell you. Please don't be alarmed when you read my story. I'm a very extreme case. Feel free to ask any questions. People refer to me as the kidney stone queen, so that's my screen name kstone_queen. LOL

Last edited by friendly_one; 12-21-2005 at 04:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #3

nikkiC HB User
Re: 8ry old just dx with kidney stones?

Kidneystone Queen,

Thanks for replying. My son's doctor told me that he would have a dietician call me but probably not til after the holidays. He just said low sodium and moderate calcium. It is unbelievable how much sodium is in everything. I do have so many questions, I dont know where to begin. We are hoping that the dietary change will be enough to avoid these again (his diet is horrible, terribly picky eater, eats the same foods over and over and loved gatorade). They have not talked about this being a secondary problem like if he was having a metabolic reason for these, I think they are just trying diet first and then we will go from there. Where you in any pain? He has not been. The first time in May when he peed blood, (the ER assumed it was a post strep infection) the next day he was having terrible stomach pain and vomiting. The docs thought he just picked up the stomach flu from being in the ER but now, it makes sense that he probably passed a stone then. They never assumed stones at all so his diet never changed, in fact it got worse because it was summer and the amout of gatorade he drank before and after sports and stuff is unbelievable plus all the hotdogs and burgers, french fries and pop. IT makes me cringe now looking back on it. With the last and second episode of hematuria, he has had absolutely no pain. Did complain of a belly ache after sled riding that night but came in and ate like a pig and said he felt better, that is when he peed blood. HOw were yours first diagnosed? I hope you dont mind me asking questions but really, I never thought of him being 8 to have stones. Thanks so much. Nikki C

Closed Thread