It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Very high protein/Creatinine Ratio -- What does this mean?

I had a blood and urine test for life ins. All the tests came back normal, except the protein/Creatinine ratio. It's supposed to be between 0 and 200, mine was 470. What could this mean? My creatinine level itself wasn't raised, neither was my BUN count. Also, my hemoglobin screen was normal.

I have no symptoms, does this seem odd to anyone? What could this mean?

Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Very high protein/Creatinine Ratio -- What does this mean?

anytime there is some sort of protien in the urine,it 'could' indicate a possible kidney problem and should be looked into a bit further.the fact that your actual creatinie is withing the norm is a good sign that this may just be due to some sort of issue that can be rectified in some way.but you DO definitely need to follow this up with your own primary doc for much more in depth testing as this also could indicate some sort of a kidney disease(this was my case)all my labs are still within the norm ranges but I do have a pretty extensive cystic formations going on in and outside of my kidneys.There are many more specific types of tests including an ultrasound that will give you a much clearer picture of what is actually going on with the kidneys.this could also just be some sort of "fluke" that happened during the actual lab testing procedure and all kidney labs need to be re done just to make sure.labs unfortunetly DO make many mistakes but you just don't hear about them til it happens and someone actually suffered some major ordeal because of it.but it does happen much more often than it actually should.see your doc.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

imaworrier HB User

Thanks Marcia. Was your creatinine normal but protein to creatinine ratio high also? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how old were you when you found out about your problem?

Old 01-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The very first indicator I had was during a routine exam for my job,i was told i had protien in my urine.I didn't think anything about it really at that time as we did not even know yet that we even had the polycystic disease til about like ten years later when my son suddenly started vomiting up blood one day at school.it was all down hill from there.although my kidneys are pretty covered with some pretty huge cysts my creatinine has never ever been out of range yet at all.this is what is so scarey about kidney and liver disease,really,the changes in your normal labs do not usually take place until the actual damage gets to a certain point where the functions are being compromised and affected by the actual disease.if you looked at my labs you would totally think that evrything inside is just dandy but upon looking at my ultrasound,well thats a whole different story.this is just really really creepy actually that you can have some pretty major devistation going on to certain organs but have completely wonderful looking labs.i did not connect the protien thing til later when I was found to actually have the PKD.I would recomend to anyone who is found to have actual protien in their urine to have a full kidney work up including an ultrasound.this was the ONLY test that showed the real picture.
I found out I had this just back in 99 when our entire family had to have ultrasounds when my son was found to have the PKD as it is an inherited disorder and one parent has to have it in order to actually be able to pass it onto a child.the parent was me.I had no clue at all i had this til then.i am 45 right now.I would really recomend to you to have that full workup on your kidneys and also the US done too and you may want to also have the hepatic(liver) functions tested and ultra sounded too as there are many different types of kidney diseases that affect both organs at some level.i hope this is nothing major.who knows,the tests could be off,you never know til you have the tests done again.let me know how it all goes,K? I wish you luck,Marcia

Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
(female)

imaworrier HB User

For the last few days I've had a feeling of pressure on my lower right side of my back. It's just pressure, which is uncomfortable, but not really painful. Is this a symptom of PKD? My doctor ordered full blood and urine, but no ultrasound. I think she wants to see the results of the others first. But if this pressure doesn't go away by Monday, I'm going to call and request an ultrasound.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
(female)

imaworrier HB User

I have trace amounts of blood, protein and white blood cells in my urine samples. I went to see a different doctor because the pressure in my side has not gone away, and occasionally it hurts, he thinks, based on my symptoms and my labs and the fact that I've been nauseated a lot, that I have kidney stones, or some other kidney disorder. I'm going to call and leave a message for my regular doctor telling her. He thinks I should be referred to a urologist if it dooesn't subside. Right now I'm supposed to drink lots of water and avoid calcium and caffeine

Closed Thread