It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

MILLSC HB User
Smaller left kidney

Hi everyone.. I recently had an abdominal ultrasound for a gallbladder issue and the report said that left kidney is smaller than the right one with measurements being 11.4 for right and 9.6 for the left. Is there any significance to this? Should I be worried or is this just normal anatomical variation?

Cindy

Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: Smaller left kidney

Hi Mill

I have the same problem with my left kidney......but the clinical diagnosis for mine is "seperation of the upper left kidney pole"

I asked my urologist what this means and he said my left kidney is smaller than my right and that he wants me to have further testing. I am waiting to have a test done where they inject dye into a vien that will show up more details of how small my kidney is and if there are any other problems present, ie stones etc.

I have digestive problems as well and their is a possiblity that it could be linked to that which is why he wants me to have further testing. With some digestive problems it can affect surrounding organs and this is what is waiting to be ruled out.

I was told by my urologist that many people have this problem and that nothing more is needed at times as it is not always serious or problem causing.

Are you having any further testing????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

MILLSC HB User

Hi Sharon..Thanks for the reply. I am scheduled for gallbladder surgery on the 20th, but no workup on my kidneys. I have been having terrible left sided pain, sometimes in front and then in mid back region. Gastro doc seemed to think it was gallbladder related as mine is just about non functioning (14%). It was just an incidental note on the abdominal US. I am scared enough of the GB surgery, Id hate to think that I had two different things wrong at the same time. You indicated that you are also having some gastro problems and they might be related, can you elaborate? Maybe my GB trouble is related also?

Cindy

Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Mill

My consultant thinks there is a high chance i have crohn's disease. I have had alot of problems since last august, in and out of hospital, not been able to work since last August, my small bowel has narrowed and i have lost alot of weight. Been very ill

I am still in the middle of testing and i am going back to my consultant tomorrow for a decision on whether surgery is required to remove the narrow part of my bowel and also to get the proper clinical diagnosis.

He also informed me that when crohns is left untreated and a person has a bad flare up, which he is saying i have had then other organs can become troubled by the disease so this is why they think the kidney problem may be related to whatever it is i have got.

The intentions of my ultrasound was to check my gall bladder as they originally thought that was my problem but it wasnt and they picked up the problem with my kidney.

Im not sure if Gb problems can cause other problems with other organs, maybe your gastr doc could inform you of this. My consultant said that when a person has gastro problems they do sometimes experience other problems with surrounding organs due to everything being so close together within the abdomen.

Good luck with your GB surgery i hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just an FYI here but in most people,the R kidney is usually somewhat bigger than the left.but it sounds like this is also connected with other symptoms as well?Marcia

Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
(female)

MILLSC HB User

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have been doing some research into this and it turns out that I had a really bad kidney infection (pyleo) when I was a kid, and it caused some scarring on my left kidney. In my research, I found that scarring also causes volume loss. SO, guess maybe I found the answer? Anywho..it works for me at the moment. I'm still scared of the GB surgey and the tales of ill recovery I've read over on the Digestive Disorders board.

Cindy

Closed Thread