It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
pain but no stone on ct?

I've had a few kidney stones in the past and I recently experienced that awful pain in my right kidney that I always get when a stone is moving. I ended up going to the ER because the pain was so severe and by the amount of blood in my urine they figured it was a kidney stone. They also did a CT to see where the stone was at but nothing showed up on the CT. They gave me pain meds that helped while in the ER but now I don't know what to do. I talked with my primary doc and asked her if the CT is pretty definitive - if they don't see a stone does that mean it's not there? And so what is causing all the blood in my urine? Honestly the pain felt exaclty like it has with other stones which really makes me think that there is a stone somewhere, but it's really small maybe. So my primary told me to set up another appointment with my urologist (who I haven't seen in a long time). I'm not sure what he can do to help?? Does anyone have any answers....has this happened to anyone else?

Lizzy

Old 04-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
(female)

madejade HB User
Re: pain but no stone on ct?

I think that if the stone is really small than it can sometimes be missed on ct. I know ct is pretty accurate though. If you know your body and know the pain than it probably was a stone. And with all that blood...it makes no sense that it would be something else. Did they check for a UTI.

I know your frustration. I was supposed to have a stone lithotripsied in march and when I got there the doctor couldn't find the stone on fluoroscopy. I was very frustrated especially when he asked me "are you sure you didn't pass anything" I was like "let me think...NO"

He tried to convince me that the stones weren't there, however, I insisted on a ct scan because my stones weren't showing up on the KUB due to overlying bowel pattern and sure enough all of my stones were there.

The one he was gonna litho was supposedly 6mm but my ct only showed 5mm so now I am not having lithotripsy because he seems to think I can pass them on my own....FUN!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
(male)

Robb HB User

Hi Madejade....

I'm curious did that 5 mm stone end up passing naturally and if so how long did it take? I am in a similar situation to you in that I have a 5 mm stone that the uro expects to pass in time on its own and in this case as in yours it doesn't show up on x-ray. My doc thinks its a uric based stone as a result but only the "passage" of time will tell I guess.

Thanks!

Robb

Old 05-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

madejade HB User

No..this stone is still there. I am now seeing a new urologist and I am currently "targeted for lithotripsy" if he can get the stones to show up on x-ray. I have passed 2 small stones this week. One was 2mm and one was 1mm. I am also seeing a nephrologist because i am a 28 year old female and have had stones for 6 years. I have had one successful lithotripsy, 2-3 ureterscopies (can't remember), 2 stents and a bad blood infection with picc line due to stone blockage of the kidney

Together with my new urologist, our goal is to get me stone free and with help from the nephrologist, hopefully stay stone free.

Ureterscopy is an option if they can find the stones on x-ray. At this stage of the game and because I have had a crappy week with these small stones, I am ready to do whatever to just get them out asap. I am sooooo tired of dealing with this. I don't want to pass anymore even if they are 1 or 2mm.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

DrewB HB User

No matter what your doctor's tell you, I don't think ANY test is 100% accurate. I've been in the ER with horrible pain numerous times over the last few months, including one month-long stay in my local hospital followed by a week in the Mayo Clinic. I've had X-rays, CTs, IVPs, ultrasounds, you name it - sometimes they show a stone, sometimes they don't. I've actually had one doctor accuse of me of faking! But I always know when they come out because the pressure disappears and, 9 times out of 10, there will be a stone in the toilet to prove it.

By the way, when I showed the urologist who accused me of faking the stone the stone I passed not twelve hours after a CT scan didn't show anything, he suggested I get a second opinion. You may want to consider doing the same.

One of the nurses I had over my month-long stint told me the same story about her husband. So it must be much more common than doctors let on.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi, Recently this same thing happened to me. I have had stones off and on and worse in the past 8 yrs. I had my last large one in Oct. last year. Well, I have hurt off and on for months now. I did pass a 3 to 4mm stone back in Feb but I have still hurt alot. Finally, I just gave in and went to the doctor. He did a CT scan. Some small stones in the left kidney and when I went to the urlogist he said they shouldnt be hurting since they aren't blocking but he said since I am still in pain he is going to do a cytoscopy and see if their is a stone in the urethra. Last lithotripsy I had is getting more exspensive. So if he found a stone he said he may have to do this too the same day. I hope they can grab it.
I hope something can be found to. I get so sick of kidney stones and hurting and then xrays lol Try not to complain but it gets old doesn't it.
I am on a water pill and potassium and I don't even know for sure if it helps but sure it is some because they aren't as big. I have to watch oxidate foods too.
Thanks for listening. I know how it is and it can get frustrating. Especially, when they don't find something and you know that hurt like crazy.
Thanks,
aftertherain

Old 06-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

DrewB HB User

Hi. Just wanted to add an addendum to my earlier post since I have been experiencing the same problem. This week I went to the pain clinic at my hospital because I've been in severe pain, but there are no stones in my ureter. They asked me a ton of questions, went over my case history and came up with a couple ideas: one, that because I have had so many stones in the past, I could just be all torn up inside. Two, I may have nerve damage. They put me on a Fentonyl patch, Lydocane patch and also put me on gabapentin, which is an anti-depressent but also works to calm/stiffle my nerves. They also gave me nortriptyline for pain and to help me sleep. They said it would take a couple days to build up in my system before it started to work. Its been three days and it is definitely working. Maybe inquire with your urologist about getting into your local pain clinic. With this new meds regimen, I am very optimistic that my lifew ill soon return to normal. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hello Drew, I hope that the pain management continues to help you. It sure can be difficult. If I keep having difficulties I may check into this if our insurance will cover it. Thank you,
after the rain

Old 06-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh i have passed two stones as far as i can tell. the tests showed blood in the urine , but nothing showed up on the any of the tests they took. Tho by then i felt like the stone was getting stuck in my urethea somewhere alone the last stage of passing thru. It felt like a tearing, burning, something stuck in there feeling. took many hours before i felt relief, and even after that, the irritation from it all stayed behind. the tearing feeling was the worst, as was the something stuck in there feeling, cramping, back pain, sweats, feeling ill, and chills. is that what you were feeling?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi. yes kind of. I just have a pain off and on in my lower left side or higher. Seems like it changes. Renal Collic achy, dull and sometimes sharp. Then like you said it feels like it burns at times. I think I have a stuck stone or gravel for sure.
I passed some small pieces back in Feb. This might be what that is too. Who knows lol it is just so tiresome but I would rather pass it then have it blasted out. Thanks.
Aftertherain

Old 06-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #11
(female)

ruth54 HB User

I saw this thread after posting earlier today about my CT showing no definitive stone according to the radiology report. I was shocked because the pain has been so severe and I just knew there were kidney stones.

After reading all your posts, I'm now sure I do have kidney stones and they just didn't show up on the CT scan. Because I have all the symptoms: back pain that comes and goes, sometimes severe, and blood in the urine.

I even researched kidney stone cures on the internet all weekend and tried some of the them. I even thought a couple were actually helping!

Closed Thread