It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

prndi HB User
Lightbulb Kidney stones and horseback riding...interesting information!

I've had kidney stones for about 20 years now. They are calcium oxylate and I'm always going to be a 'stone maker', according to my doctor.

Here's what I've found over the years...... They only pass in the spring! I compete in horse showing events from around March until November. I ride 6 days a week and and also do some jogging during those months to keep myself in shape. From December until early March I used to do nothing, no riding, no running, etc. When I start up riding again it only take one or two times and my stones start moving, new ones that I didn't realize I had. The reason I believe this is happening is because when I sit idle for the 3 or 4 months the stones have a chance to grow in my kidney because I'm not bouncing around, jogging, riding, etc, therefor it's not 'jarring' them out. When I have one that is stuck, and anyone who's had them can track exactly where they are from the kidney to the ureter, and I ride or jog extra hard, it gets it moving and passes. It takes about 6 or 8 weeks before I feel completely better and all the stones, and gravel- I have alot of that, have passed.

I ran this by my urologist and he said there's never been any studies done that he is aware of of the corrolation between them, but logically it makes sense. Sort of like a salt shaker.....if you use it every day, the salt stays nice and loose and flows easily thru the holes in the shaker top. If you let it sit for a while and not shake it up, the salt clumps together (I know it's from moisture, but I'm using this for an example) and it passes thru the holes very hard.

Because I live in the coldest part of the country, I don't ride or go outside in the winter to jog. But now I do try to get on the treadmill to keep things moving when during the winter.

This could be TOTALLY COINCEDENCE, but in all my years of having them, this is the pattern that has followed.

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
(male)

Robb HB User
Re: Kidney stones and horseback riding...interesting information!

Jill

Very interesting what you write and hypothesize. I would tend to agree with much of what you write on. Since you mention sometimes having stones that are stuck how long does it normally take for them to resolve for you?

The reason as to why I am asking is that I was disgnosed with a kidney stone-had all the classical symptoms 3.5 weeks back and its yet to pass. The doctor wants to give it another week or two and then remove it through surgery if necessary. Unfortunately the stone doesn't show on an x-ray but does show on a CAT scan.

Thanks,

Robb

Old 05-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
(female)

madejade HB User

Hey Robb,
Funny enough, if you read my posts, mine are only showing up on Ct, and not on x-ray. They aren't uric acid and I've been offered no other explanation except for overlying bowels and whatnot.

Madejade

Old 05-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
(female)

prndi HB User

Hi Robb,

Don't give up hope yet, your's could still pass on it's own without surgery if it's not so big that it just can't. 6 weeks is the longest I've had one take to go thru. Just remember to drink, drink, drink. Do you do any physical activities that are 'jarring' to your body, such as running? If not, maybe you could give that a try and see what happens. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Jill

Old 05-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
(male)

Robb HB User

Hi Jill

Thanks for the response. I do stay quite active in general. For the first week after the initial pain I was mostly sedentary but then resumed my normal schedule which includes playing 2 nights/week softball and started doing more walking/jogging as I figured that might help the stone along. The pain has completely gone away other than one day when I overdid it on the exercise bike at the gym and felt some discomfort in the kidney area for about a day afterwards.

I'd prefer avoiding surgery if possible. I am taking Potassium Citrate for the possibility that the stone can be dissolved but based on what I've read here that may be a 20% possibility. I have about 2 more weeks left on that medication then will go back to see the urologist. My stone is between 4 and 5 mm and the urologist said that the odds of passing naturally were about 80-85% so I guess we'll see.

Take Care,

Robb

Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
(male)

Robb HB User

Hi Madejade

Did you have to have any of those stones removed surgically? If so I assume they weren't able to use lithrotripsy on your since they weren't visible by x-ray. If so how did your procedure go if I may ask?

Thanks,

Robb

Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #7
(female)

madejade HB User
Smile Re: Kidney stones and horseback riding...interesting information!

I never ended up having it done. My old urologist said the stone was gone and that I must have passed it. I knew it hadn't passed and on a follow up KUB it still couldn't be seen. So I insisted on a ct scan and all my stones were still there. Only the 6mm he was gonna litho was only 5mm. He called me at work and told me I should pass them all on my own and "hopefully he wouldn't be hearing from me" He offered no follow-up or anything. I took that opportunity to find a new urologist. I am currently seeing a nephrologist also because I have had stones for 6 years.

I have passed over 20 on my own. I have had 2 ureterscopies, 2 stents, 1 successful lithotripsy. When my daughter was 2 weeks old I developed a bad blood infection and had a picc line for a few weeks due to an obstructing stone.

Now, I am being follow-up on every three months. I am having an ultrasound next month. I will be very curious to see what the ultrasound will show considering the only thing I have passed in the last few months is a 2mm stone. I really want to get rid of the ones I have and not make any new ones and hopefully with the nephrologist and new urologist working together, we can do that! See Ya...Madejade

Closed Thread