It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User
Does Lithotripsy or Kidney stones cause damage

Hello, I have oftened wondered if kidney stones and or Lithotripsy causes kidney damage. I have had more pain in my left kidney that I used to.
If I drink alot of water ect It really acts up. Thank you,
after the rain.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

khogue HB User
Re: Does Lithotripsy or Kidney stones cause damage

I just had Lithotripsy done on 5/31.....The 2 day recovery period did not work in my case, because 3 weeks later I am experiencing bleeding on the outside of kidney! Never will I have Lithotripsy done again. (my doctor says with the bleeding I can't) I had so much pain the day after I could not even walk. I have to say it was a horrible experience for me, and now could have damaged the kidney!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

friendly_one HB User

One word....LITHOTRIPSY!!! Although, stones can damage your kidney if you are obstructed for a long period of time. Please, please, stay away from ESWL (lithotripsy) if you can. It's not the miracle the urologists believe that it is. One may or may not hurt you, but after that, I would stay away from it at all costs!!! Take care and bye for now.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lookinforanswer HB User
Arrow Re: Does Lithotripsy or Kidney stones cause damage

What would you suggest other than the ESWL. I have had it done a few times in the past 6 years.

I always feel better after wards with no pain.

What do you do for your kidney stones?

Thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 10-20-2007 at 01:26 PM.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

HI, I am sorry you had such a bad exsperience with that. I bleed a little the next day and that was it and I always felt better. Now, though unless my pain I am having now is from a stone blocked I really am wondering about Lithotripsy. Thank you for repsonding to my answer and I hope you can get better.
After the rain

Old 06-16-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

you know alot about this. I never had problems after lithotripsy but I am wondering about this last one I had one this past Oct. I have hurt off and on every since. I have passed some stone and gravel so that might be why. Usually, I pass that pretty quick but Have been passing some still in March and April. My uro doctor said since I am still hurting he is going go see with a scope what may be going on. I just hope he doesn't put a stent in. Stents bother me so much. I was wondering ,too, I mean if you don't do litho what options do you have?
Thank you so much for you advice.
After the rain.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-20-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi Lookinforananswer,
I was wondering the same thing as you.If you have stones what do you do?
Hope you are feeling ok.
Thanks,
Aftertherain

Old 06-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lookinforanswer HB User
Talking Re: Does Lithotripsy or Kidney stones cause damage

Hi Aftertherain,

I take Vitamin b6, magnesium, potassium gluconate, other vitamins that aren't for it but take them.

I drink alot of water, lemonaid, and koolaid with sweet & low, sugar is bad for your kidneys.

I steer clear of most foods with Calcium oxalate, because those are the stones that I create.

I exercise which they say is good, and I am trying to lose my weight, they say the heavier you are the faster you will produce stones.

Thanks for your post.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi Lookforananwer,

thank you for answering my post. I have been trying to do the same as you. Loose weight and I didnt take mag. How much do you take? I am on a water pill potassium sparing one. 5 potassium pills a day. I just started B6. I try to not eat much Oxiate foods. They used to tell me no calcium but they changed that. I guess you knew that too. If you dont do calcuim it comes out of your bone. Do you know why you get stones? I have to much calcium in my kidneys and it doesnt filter back like it should.
Thanks
After the rain

Old 06-17-2006, 01:39 AM   #10
(female)

ForeverDebR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftertherain3
Hi Lookforananwer,

thank you for answering my post. I have been trying to do the same as you. Loose weight and I didnt take mag. How much do you take? I am on a water pill potassium sparing one. 5 potassium pills a day. I just started B6. I try to not eat much Oxiate foods. They used to tell me no calcium but they changed that. I guess you knew that too. If you dont do calcuim it comes out of your bone. Do you know why you get stones? I have to much calcium in my kidneys and it doesnt filter back like it should.
Thanks
After the rain

Aftertherain,
Because of labs I take Magnesium 250mg four times a day. It has a tendency to give me diahrea so sometimes I have to skip a dose then go back on it. I take Potassium 20 MEQ two pills once a day. I take HCTZ once a day. I also take Allopurinol 300 mg.I take alot of other medications but that is because of intestinal problems.

Debbie

Old 06-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi Debbie, Thank you. I was wondering how much mag. My potassium has still been on the low side. I had it checked and it was 3.5. Know that isn't real low but I can tell when it gets that way. The uro doctor said I was just one of those people that has it low even on the potassium sparing pill. I will see about the mag. Though. I think all that is helpful in preventing stones.
I apprecate your help.
Hope all is well .

Aftertherain,

Old 06-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #12
(female)

ForeverDebR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftertherain3
Hi Debbie, Thank you. I was wondering how much mag. My potassium has still been on the low side. I had it checked and it was 3.5. Know that isn't real low but I can tell when it gets that way. The uro doctor said I was just one of those people that has it low even on the potassium sparing pill. I will see about the mag. Though. I think all that is helpful in preventing stones.
I apprecate your help.
Hope all is well .

Aftertherain,
Afterthe rain,
My nephrologist told me that because I'm taking the HCTZ diuretic to keep the crystals from getting together, that it's also washing some of my natural potassium out too. That's why I'm having to replace it.

Debbie

Old 06-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
(female)

Aftertherain3 HB User

Hi Debbie, think that is my case too. I wish I didn't loose that much of it.
Thanks for replying.
Polly
aftertherain

Closed Thread