It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

nameisabby30 HB User
how long does it take for stones to pass?

I have had 3 kidney stones in the right kidney since Feb,2006.It's now July,I had a ctscan done and the three of them are still there."Apparently"they are small and should pass as the receptionist said.So I wanted to know in general,how long can/does it take for them to pass?or if they pass?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
(female)

ForeverDebR HB User
Re: how long does it take for stones to pass?

Abby,
Do you know how big these three kidney stones are? Just from what I've learned through the years, if it is 4mm you should be able to pass it on your own. I have heard of people passing 5mm kidney stones too but, no bigger then that. The key is not to let them get any bigger. Drink your water and stay active so the crystals don't get together. It's too your advantage to know how big the kidney stones are so that you know whether you are going to be able to pass them on your own or if you are going to need medical intervention.

When it comes to kidney stones there is no time table. No one knows when they are going to pass their stones. It just all of the sudden happens. I've also found out through the years that there is never a convenient time to pass them either because the pain is so excrutiating. The kidney stones have to pass one way or the other whether you do it yourself or you get medical help is the question. First, you need to find out how big they are. That's not real easy on the doctors to tell either sometimes. They get asked that question so much and if they don't show up on the films well it's hard for them to know.

Sorry I couldn't give you anything definite. The "not knowing" is always the hardest part.

I hope you pass them soon.

Debbie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

nameisabby30 HB User
Re: how long does it take for stones to pass?

Hi,When I called to ask the receptionist if the ctscan came back, I asked if they were big and she said they were small.I asked if I should come see the doctor and she said that he didn't need to see me?I have had stones before and it was 2 years before they did lithotripsy on me.But the last stones I had an U/S done at showed how big they were.I don't know?I guess in my mind I just don't want my kidney scarred from this.When I get an attack it lasts for 12 hours at the most.The doctor{whick is new for me}hasn't sent me to a urologist and when I did ask for a referal I was told not unless it's an emergency.{LONG STORY!}So I'm not pleased with the doctor or the receptionist.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
(female)

ForeverDebR HB User
Angry Re: how long does it take for stones to pass?

Abby,
A receptionist should not be telling you anything. The doctor's nurse is who you should be speaking with. Small kidney stones can hurt just as bad as big ones, if not more sometimes. The most the receptionist should be doing is making sure that the message gets to the doctor's nurse. The doctor makes the decision as to whether you need to be seen again. It sounds like she made this decision off of the top of her head. Get all of your medical records together and go into your doctors office and request a referral to see a urologist. You have kidney stones and that is reason enough to get one. If the doctor doesn't give you one tell him you are going to call your health insurance company and talk to them about this. It sounds like to me you are entitled to one.......about two years ago. You had to have a urologist before in order to get the lithotripsy done. I always get my medical records. They give you the most information including the size of the kidney stones. Those three kidney stones are rolling around in there wrecking havoc and possibly sometimes blocking the opening where you are not able to urinate. That can cause permanent kidney damage. A 12 hour attack is an emergency. I can see why you are not happy with the doctor or the receptionist. It's your responsibility to take care of your health so get on it and get those medical records and all films you've ever had taken and see what you can get done about those three kidney stones before they get any bigger.

Debbie

Closed Thread