It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
1 cm "mass" on kidney update and questions about IVP CT Scan

I posted down below, but have since seen my Urologist. He said having this Mass being any type of Cancer is highly unlikely in a 38 yo woman. It is barely
1 cm, located at the top of my left kidney near my spleen, and he cannot even tell if it is connected to my kidney at all. He claims it looks like an extra piece of spleen. He scheduled me for an IVP CT Scan to see if it "glows".....(I do not know what this means, if it glows does that mean that is good or bad??)he told me not to lose sleep over it and very worst case scenario, he could send me to the hospital to "microwave it off"....... I have had this left lower dull ache now for 3 to 4 years(above my hip bone), and all this time I thought it was my kidney, and when I saw the Urologist yesterday, he laughed and told me "My dear, THAT is lower back pain, your kidneys are up HERE" (Pointing to my lower rib cage). This is why I was freaking out thinking this "Mass" they fouind was attributed to that lower pain I had and it was not even in my kidney at all. Boy, I felt silly.
Anyways, I had blood in my urine at the ER when I supposedly passed the stone, but the blood was not visible. Only be dipstick apparently. C/S Urine came back negative but white cell counts were high and they put me on Levequin. Still think I had UTI.
The Urologist looked at my CT Scan and said that the "mass" looked a tiny grape. It is pointed at the end and than rounded. Very, very close to my spleen.
I never had an IVP Scan before so hopefully that will not hurt.

My question is this.......I wonder how many times someone has been told they had a small mass, and it DID turn out to be something else??(such as nothing, an extra spleen, a cyst, a smear on the X-Ray etc) ...

And is there NO screening(routine) for Kidney Cancer??? From what I understand, there are no symptoms of early stage Kidney Cancer until symptoms appear......how awful!!!! And it seems as if you are Stage 3 or 4, you might as well give it up, statistics are very poor for people with stage 3 and 4 Cancers. It is very scary. I am still scared. I am scared for all of us and for people who are going through this. Why can't they have a routine CT Scan once a year for people over a certain age?? Are the statistics higher for Kidney Cancer in older people than younger?? Men than Women??

How does Kidney Cancer compare with say, breast or lung cancer?? Is it the number 3, 4 or 5 killer???

Where can I get this information from???

I am praying for everyone and their recovery. I am praying for myself that my Urologist is correct in assuming it is "nothing"......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
(male)

xander07 HB User
Wink Re: 1 cm "mass" on kidney update and questions about IVP CT Scan

Hello, Please don't worry about it until there is something to worry about.

Closed Thread