It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

lkdenke HB User
Question fatty lesion on kidney

Last week, I had urine the color of coca-cola, back pain on left lower side, and felt terrible. Went to GP, he said there was way too much blood in urine. I was sent to the hospital for blood work, urine test and an ultra sound of my kidneys. Found out Friday, that the ultra sound showed a fatty lesion on my kidney. The GP had given me Cipro and pain med. Urine clear back still sore. Now, I am set to go for an MRA of my kidneys next week. I can't find anything on the internet about fatty lesions on kidneys. I know that ultra-sounds are just shadows and don't really show anything definitive. But has anyone else heard of this. I am in basically good health. I did have the same thing happen last Christmas but asked the Dr. to call in the antiobics. Thanks for any input.
Lori

Old 09-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: fatty lesion on kidney

I had a CT scan and I have one on top of my right kidney. Here is what I found out about them. I am not sure if yours is the same as mine?

Angiomyolipoma
Also known as renal hamartoma, angiomyolipomas are rare benign tumors usually caused by an inherited genetic mutation. They can occur on an isolated, individual basis, but most often are associated with a rare genetic disease called tuberous sclerosis, which can cause tumors in the skin, kidneys, brain, and other organ systems. About 80% of persons diagnosed with tuberous sclerosis also have angiomyolipoma.

In patients without tuberous sclerosis, these tumors most often occur in middle-aged women. Most cases are discovered when the patient undergoes a CT scan for an unrelated abdominal problem, suffers gastrointestinal discomfort, or suffers a sudden hemorrhage caused by the rupture of a large tumor.

Management of the condition depends on the size of the tumors and the severity of the symptoms they produce. Asymptomatic patients and those with small tumors usually are not treated; instead, they are observed periodically with an eye toward surgery if the tumors grow or produce symptoms. Because of the potential for spontaneous rupture and life-threatening hemorrhage, patients with large tumors usually are considered candidates for some form of surgical treatment, ranging from partial nephrectomy to arterial embolization.

Oleander53

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread