It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 PM   #1

travis&michelle HB User
Kidney Stones: Pain Goes Away, Returns?

I've been battling a confirmed (CT scan) kidney stone for two weeks...just 3mm but a painful little beast.

Here is what I think is odd, or maybe it isn't. Just haven't heard of anyone with this kind of thing.

I'll have extreme pain, but then it goes away...sometimes completely away. I'll go a few days and then it will return! Days?!? So I think I've passed it (strained but nothing has come up yet) but obviously figure out I haven't.

Anyone else have stone pain that goes away for this length of time and then returns? This one seems to be hanging on for dear life! Thanks so much for any information you might have.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
(female)

mommabyrd HB User
Re: Kidney Stones: Pain Goes Away, Returns?

I had the same stone for 4 months. I was at the ER once a week at least and they kept telling me it was 4mm and allllllllmost out. I knew better, but what could I do.
I finally talked my family dr into admitting me and sending someone new over to have a look. So I had to go through the ER and the ER dr saw the stone, but the radiologist said he did not. Keep in mind I strained my urine the entire summer, and saw nothing.
So I was treated with antibiotics for a bad infection, and sent home and the pain either got better, or I was so used to it I didn't notice it as much. I went for an appt with the urologist I had made 3 months ago, and I told him I thought I had another infection. Turns out the stone was still in there. It was 7mm in size, and stuck.
I was scheduled for surgery the next day. There was some concern with kidney function with having the stone that long. Thank God I had minimal damage. This was 2 weeks ago, and today I feel awesome again. I forgot how great it felt to feel well.
Anyway, I would have episodes of feeling fine for a few days, and BAM, like being struck by lightening.
Praying this is over for you very soon,
Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #3

travis&michelle HB User

Thank you! That is what it is like for me (the lightening thing). Obviously I'm only a couple of weeks into this thing while you were months into it. So I'm hopeful it will break free soon. Last night was not much fun...particularly because it had been a week since I had pain before.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

oh that is what im so afraid of!! i passed around 5 super tiny ones, and 2 larger ones this last week. i had an xray and ultra sound done and they said they couldnt find any, yet i was passing some. my doc said it was because they were so little or hidden. yet he saw them and said yup those are stones. last ones i passed were wed morning or so around 3 or 4 am.

the pain lasted another day and a half but of course more like irritation from where they had passed. i dont have pain right at this moment but for some reason im sooo afraid it will happen suddenly again. ive got an out of town wedding i have to go to, its a weekend away trip. the wedding is tomorrow and i wont be back till early monday. im wondering , more like worried if it will hit me suddenly again, like lightning while im away. i wouldnt even think of going to this wedding except that its my sisters only son, and hes like a son to me as well. i sit here pretending or trying to talk myself into being brave and that its NOT going tohappen again, but i keep hearing my docs voice in the background saying once youve had stones you'll have them again. and then again, maybe theyre just hiding for right now and its just taking a little bit longer for the rest to pass. either way, worries the heck outta me.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
(female)

KGO HB User

Hi all -

All I can say to each of you is I have been there, done that, and the fear of having it happen again does get better w/ time. As far as your wedding, I would go, as long as you know you might have to take a side trip to an ER if you get another attack that you can't stand.

And for yes, the pain can come out of nowhere and then when it is gone, you feel nothing. Lucky for me, my pains never lasted more than an hour or two, and I think I would have been able to sit though a loved one's wedding for an hour if I got one during the wedding. Of course, if the pain hit an hour or two before, and did not go away, than I would just have to miss it.

I have had kidney stones 3 times, at ages 20, 30, and 35. So, obviously mine have gotten closer together, but are far enough apart that I quit worrying about them eventually.

Good luck and hugs to those of you currently dealing w/ this nasty little condition. One tip, the first two I had, I only had one bout of pain and the stones passed within a few days. The third, I think I had for a long time, and the pains came and went, and I eventually had to have day surgery to remove it. So if it doesn't pass, don't be passive yourself - try to get something done to remove it so you can stop worrying.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #6

travis&michelle HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a month into it now and still have periodic dull pain and occasional stabbing pain. Second round of Vicodin. Urologist has just told me to wait. I think when this batch of Vicodin is nearly done, I'm going to call back...I don't know? Any thoughts?

Old 10-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
(female)

KGO HB User

I would get a second opinion. It is possible that due to the location and size it would not do any damage, and that may be why he wants you to wait, but I know when my refused to pass we went to surgery. It was not fun, but SUCH a relief when the thing was finally gone! I guess I would want to know what criteria the doctors use whether to remove or wait, but if it is causing you that much pain, I would want to do something. Vicodin is a wonderful drug (when you are taking it) but it can also be addicting, and I would not want to take it indefinitely.

Good luck and let me know if you need other advice,

KG

Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ala3 HB User

Hi, I am new to this site, but I am visiting the back pain page a lot. Because of my back pain I had several sterioids injections and took two medrol packs last year. That probably caused hypercalcemia and I think I have kidney stons now. Couple of weeks ago I got a bladder infection,But the antibiotic did not help and I passed something after the pain got so bad I almost ended up in the ER, a few hours later I was fine. The last few daysIam having this sharp , stabbing pain in my bladder area tha comes and goes. I am supposed to have IVP done by the end of the month.
For those of you who have had experience with this problem, what do you do when it gets really bad? Thanks!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 AM   #9
(female)

vicesparky HB User

I had a kidney stone the size of a nickel whatever centimeters that is. It was totally blocking my right kidney. Approximately 36 hours ago I was put to sleep, had it lasered and a stint inserted. The stint is extremely sore and is causing me to feel as though I need to urinate constantly. It is suppose to be removed in the doctors office in about another 2.5 days. Is this normal to be this sore and have such an urge to use the restroom? Doc felt it would of been dangerous for me to try and pass this stone though I have passed smaller ones before. One just a week ago.

Closed Thread