It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #1

travis&michelle HB User
Can a CT miss a stone?

Diagnosed with a kidney stone...showed up on CT 6 weeks ago. Took a new CT today to prep for surgery. My Dr. couldn't see my kidney stone in the new CT and theorized that I passed it. Pain was low at the time.

Now pain is back...moderate pain...quick twinges of severe pain.

Could the CT have missed the stone somehow? Anyone have this occur?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
(male)

woozle HB User
Re: Can a CT miss a stone?

Yes. Especially if the stone is not made of calcium.

If you took barium with the CT that will mask stones too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #3

travis&michelle HB User

Thanks...had an IVP that showed nothing, too. The pain has subsided quite a bit...very intermittent and minor. I'm thinking that it is gone, but of course the fear is always there until it is completely gone.

Would the IVP possibly miss it, too? I'm more convinced, now, but I still have a small bit of pain. I've had that small bit in the past grow into huge pain.

I think it just might be "bruising" or scarring or something. I'm at a loss. The urologist said "everything is working as normal" and didn't seem the least bit concerned about the pain. He acted like I shouldn't have ANY pain after the stone is gone...one of those deals where they make you feel crazy.

Hopefully it is gone and it is just residual effects.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Well, I just passed a kidney stone yesterday and I had residual pain but NOTHING like the pain I had before passing it! Today, luckily I don't have the pain. I think you can have pain after passing a stone depending on the size of it. Remember, the stone comes down a very narrow way and if the stone is large enough, it can cause some discomfort after passing but more so, you feel the relief of the pain being almost gone. I'm surprised that your doctor didn't tell you that. Stones come in different sizes and shapes. I had a CT scan done to check to see if the stones I have had for years was passed since I had passed a stone and it was still there. I though, that's funny, I didn't know I had 2 of them. Then a month later (yesterday) I passed another one! I don't know if the one I had has been breaking down or I have developed new ones or how fast stones can develop, but I don't think CT scans are always 100% accurate. Chances are, if you had excruciating pain, and now it's gone, you have probably passed it. Drink lots of water with lemon I'm told to prevent further stones. Good Luck!

Closed Thread