It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Kidney Failure

Hello,

I am so glad I have found this Kidney board. I'm at my witts end at the moment and don't know what to do. I'm feeling so many different emotions, the major one being fear or losing someone I love very much. I am a full time career for my Grandmother who is 85 years old and have been since I was 15. I'm now 20, nearly 21.

Earlier today I received a phone call from my GP. It was for my Grandmother. She said my Grandmothers blood test results have came back and her Kidney function is very bad. I asked her what did she mean exactly and she repeated its very bad and I need to reduce her water pill from 40mg once a day to 20mg once a day.

I was concerned about what the GP said because she "fobbed" me off in my opinion. A few hours later my Grandmother had severe lower back pain coming from her Kidneys. I contacted the GP and told them I want a GP consultation pronto. Two hours later the GP phoned back and told me to give my Grandmother Neurofen (she's asthmatic so I cant) and to stop giving her Tylex. I asked the GP again what is going on with my Grandmothers Kidneys and she said "Your Grandmother is in Kidney Failure". I nearly fainted with shock! I felt like crying my eyes out. I then asked her what do I do, what can she not have, what medication do I need to collect from the surgery for her etc and all I got in reply was "Phone me tomorrow and let me know how her pain is" and no response for my question about she needs a referral to a Kidney Specalist.

I was told my Grandmothers creatinne was 5.1 and her Uri something (im sorry I cant remember the name) is also abnormal and she's in Kidney failure. Since then I have been doing loads of research on the internet. I have looked up so much information that Im pretty positive the GP isn't going to do much.

From what I can gather, Gran is in the risk factor. She is insulin dependant Diabetic and has high blood pressure and also has a blockage in one of her Heart Valves. I have spoken to my Gran about how her Kidneys are working and she is terrified naturally and wants a referral pronto. (im looking now for private specalist as its quicker).

From the info I found out through patient uk and so on, based on Grans Cretinne level (sp) her Kidney is 75% damaged. This is really scary. I'm keeping my "cool" in front of Gran but I'm worried sick. I really do not know what to do.

I hope someone...loads of people can help me. What should I do? What type of Specalist will she need to see? Is 5.1 nearly end stage and how is the stages worked out? I know 10.0 creatinne in UK is dialysis.

I have so many questions. Her symptoms are frequent urination, Lethargic, Tiredness, Anemic (last 2 months so reduced red cell count), Increased white cell count (GP said due to chest infection 2 weeks ago), Sometimes frothy urine (no infection here.....test neg for this) and feeling sick daily. She seems picky with her food as well and has been for about 4 weeks. Not to mention the severe kidney pains and lower back pains she's been having.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all in advance.

Last edited by _mystictiger_; 01-15-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Kidney Failure

Hello and welcome.

While a creatinine of 5 is high it is not horrible. I was at 9 before I went on dialysis but everybody is different. At the Cr. level that she has, she should be seen by a nephrologist, not a GP. You said she has :

"I have so many questions. Her symptoms are frequent urination, Lethargic, Tiredness, Anemic (last 2 months so reduced red cell count), Increased white cell count (GP said due to chest infection 2 weeks ago), Sometimes frothy urine (no infection here.....test neg for this) and feeling sick daily. She seems picky with her food as well and has been for about 4 weeks. Not to mention the severe kidney pains and lower back pains she's been having. "

The lethargy and tiredness are from the anemia which is due to the kidney failure. Don't panic with that term. It means her kidneys are failing, not gone entirely yet. Anyway, the anemia is treatable with drugs like Epo, Aranesp or Procrit. I'm not sure what they're called in the UK, but they are similar drugs that force the production of new red blood cells. She might also get an iron infusion if her iron stores are low.

She is feeling sick and not eating well because of the toxins left in her system due to the kidneys not working properly. There is a good chance if her kidneys stabilize she will begin to feel better. The urine is frothy because she is spilling protein in the urine. Don't worry about that too much, it is just a marker.

As I said earlier, she should be seen by a nephrologist and also a renal dietitian who can tell her what she can and can't eat based on her blood work.

Good luck to you both, and keep us posted.

Cora

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Cora

Thank you SO much for your reply. You've been very helpful. I am quite a bit concerned about how quickly her Kidneys are getting weaker because 3 months ago she had a Kidney test which came back very very mildly abnormal. I can remember the GP saying it was only a tiny bit abnormal and not a indication of Kidney problems but 3 months later here we are and according to the GP that is quite bad.

I contacted the Renal Unit at my Hospital earlier today and asked to speak to a Renal Nurse and got some advice. She never heard of creatinne being 5.1 and said they measure it differently in the Hospital and anything about 100 is Kidney trouble. Do you know what creatinne of 5.1 would be in this above 100 scale?

Because she had a Kidney test 3 months ago that was very mildly abnormal and now its quite bad, does this mean her Kidneys are failing quickly? Its just the Renal nurse told me some people don't go into Kidney failure for years and it can be slow progressing but she did say when Gran reaches 500-600 creatinne level then this will be dialysis.

I'm going to make a appointment tomorrow morning for Gran and make the GP explain what exactly is going on in detail and then get her the referral to a nephrologist. Or failing that, go private. I don't care what it takes but I want to start treatment for her.......diet, pills whatever she needs asap so we can slow the failure down and make her feel better. She's been feeling sick for most of the day today and unwell. I guess this is all related.

I'm just glad its not end stage failure. How many stages is there? What stage would my Gran be at with Creatinne of 5.1?

Thank you again you've been brilliant x

Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mystictiger_ View Post
Hi Cora

Thank you SO much for your reply. You've been very helpful. I am quite a bit concerned about how quickly her Kidneys are getting weaker because 3 months ago she had a Kidney test which came back very very mildly abnormal. I can remember the GP saying it was only a tiny bit abnormal and not a indication of Kidney problems but 3 months later here we are and according to the GP that is quite bad.

I contacted the Renal Unit at my Hospital earlier today and asked to speak to a Renal Nurse and got some advice. She never heard of creatinne being 5.1 and said they measure it differently in the Hospital and anything about 100 is Kidney trouble. Do you know what creatinne of 5.1 would be in this above 100 scale?

Because she had a Kidney test 3 months ago that was very mildly abnormal and now its quite bad, does this mean her Kidneys are failing quickly? Its just the Renal nurse told me some people don't go into Kidney failure for years and it can be slow progressing but she did say when Gran reaches 500-600 creatinne level then this will be dialysis.

I'm going to make a appointment tomorrow morning for Gran and make the GP explain what exactly is going on in detail and then get her the referral to a nephrologist. Or failing that, go private. I don't care what it takes but I want to start treatment for her.......diet, pills whatever she needs asap so we can slow the failure down and make her feel better. She's been feeling sick for most of the day today and unwell. I guess this is all related.

I'm just glad its not end stage failure. How many stages is there? What stage would my Gran be at with Creatinne of 5.1?

Thank you again you've been brilliant x
First, you should know that GPs are notoriously bad at diagnosing kidney problems. One of our local nephrologists recently published a paper bemoaning the fact that patients were getting to them later, rather than sooner. Despite education, local GPs simply overlook or ignore signs and symptoms. So it is quite possible that what your GP diagnosed as "slightly abnormal" may very well have been significant. Exactly what was the test? If it wasn't a 24 hour urine with blood work it wasn't that accurate anyway.

If your local hospital is using the "proper" numbers (the ones that are used here in Canada and elsewhere in the world) then your Grans cr. would be about 450. Again, not good, but not horrific either. I was at about 800 before I went on dialysis. That number isn't right for everyone, but it worked for me. The sharp decline could be due to the infection. Once that is cleared up it could very well drop significantly. Never just look at one set of lab values. You need to look at the trend.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stages. Typically there are 4 or 5, but when you start dialysis depends more on how you are feeling and how much fluid you are retaining than the actual blood values or "stages".

While it is fine to discuss things with the GP, I would make sure that I got a copy of the lab values to take to the consultation. At her level, she should have been seen by a nephrologist and a dietitian. The anemia should be treated and possible bp meds and diuretics prescribed. That is imho of course.

Good luck.

Cora

Old 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Cora,

Thank you again hun. You really are brilliant and very helpful.

Ok 450 not too good. Renal nurse said 500-600 dialysis and Gran is showing most of the symptoms so I better get moving quickly. I agree with the Doctors in Canada. GPs are useless with a capital U. They never diagnose anything until its too late.

I honestly think they are going to neglect my Gran and not do anything for her. So if a infection made her Kidneys fail then when she recovers from the infection, its possible her Kidneys could become worse?

At the level Gran is on now, how long do you think it will be before she's on dialysis? She has been on bp meds for years now.......probably about 8 years and is insulin dependant diabetic and also has heart disease which is thankfully stable. She had a kidney function test performed which was creatinne and something begining with uri......which was also blood work. she hasn't had a urine test performed by the GP but I did one 2 months back which came out positive for protein in the urine and I told the GP about this....it was called a multistick.

I forgot to ask.........is ringing with sweat caused by the kidney failure and the lower back pain which is coming from her kidneys?

Last edited by _mystictiger_; 01-16-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 01-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Cora,

I honestly think they are going to neglect my Gran and not do anything for her. So if a infection made her Kidneys fail then when she recovers from the infection, its possible her Kidneys could become worse?

At the level Gran is on now, how long do you think it will be before she's on dialysis? She has been on bp meds for years now.......probably about 8 years and is insulin dependant diabetic and also has heart disease which is thankfully stable. She had a kidney function test performed which was creatinne and something begining with uri......which was also blood work. she hasn't had a urine test performed by the GP but I did one 2 months back which came out positive for protein in the urine and I told the GP about this....it was called a multistick.

I forgot to ask.........is ringing with sweat caused by the kidney failure and the lower back pain which is coming from her kidneys?
Once her infection is gone, it is possible that her lab values may improve. There is not guarantee, of course, but it does happen. As far as how fast will her kidneys fail, I'm sorry to say that it is impossible to tell. It may still be years before she needs dialysis, or, if she gets another infection, it may occur more quickly. Every individual is different, so don't believe any set numbers any of the doctors give you.

Take care.

Cora

Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

Hi Cora :-)

Thank you again for your help. I have been to the GP with my Grandmother and found out some information. The previous GP told me incorrect information. Gran has got Kidney failure but its in early stages and creatinne is 158 so I have no idea where the other GP got 5.1 from. Lucikly Gran doesn't need a referral yet and the GP said it may improve and she's getting re-tested in 3 weeks because she suspects Gran Kidneys will show either a improvement in that time or higher creatinne levels.

I'll let you know how her result is in 3 weeks but it will probably take 7 days before we get the results back. Thank you again. x

Old 01-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi Cora :-)

Thank you again for your help. I have been to the GP with my Grandmother and found out some information. The previous GP told me incorrect information. Gran has got Kidney failure but its in early stages and creatinne is 158 so I have no idea where the other GP got 5.1 from. Lucikly Gran doesn't need a referral yet and the GP said it may improve and she's getting re-tested in 3 weeks because she suspects Gran Kidneys will show either a improvement in that time or higher creatinne levels.

I'll let you know how her result is in 3 weeks but it will probably take 7 days before we get the results back. Thank you again. x
I'm so glad to hear that she is in the early stages. She can do quite well for a long time. It sounds like the doc was dyslexic and gave 5.1 when he meant 158.

Take care.

Cora

Closed Thread