It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

Torrilyn HB User
Dual draining system in right kidney

I have been experiencing some fierce pain in my right flank recently and finally got in for a ct scan only to find out that I have a dual (two) drainage system in my right kidney and one of those systems is blocked and backing up with urine. Has anyone ever heard of this? And if so what does an urologist usually do about this type of thing as that seems to be the docs next step...Seems to be out of the physicians hands now...

Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Dual draining system in right kidney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrilyn View Post
I have been experiencing some fierce pain in my right flank recently and finally got in for a ct scan only to find out that I have a dual (two) drainage system in my right kidney and one of those systems is blocked and backing up with urine. Has anyone ever heard of this? And if so what does an urologist usually do about this type of thing as that seems to be the docs next step...Seems to be out of the physicians hands now...
Is it a kidney with 2 ureters (2 tubes leading to the bladder) or a fully duplex kidney with 2 completely separate collecting systems? Is it the kidney that is blocked or just the ureter? I believe that in many cases if the ureter is blocked they can stent it, just like they do with the stenting of coronary arteries, only this procedure is less invasive.

Double ureters are common enough and most urologists and nephrologists have seen them. Blockages are common too, so I suspect that it will probably be a fairly simple procedure to unblock and stent. That depends, of course on the cause for the blockage.

Basically, from what you described, it is probably something that your docs have treated numerous times in the past. Try not to worry too much and keep us posted. What is the next step for you? Are you going in for more testing or have they booked some sort of procedure.

Good luck.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
(female)

Torrilyn HB User

Good questions...To which I don't have the answers ...YET...Nor did I know enough to ask...All I got up to this point was a report that stated that I have a duplication of right collecting system and there appears to be a backup of urine in the kidney...I went back to Health ctr this AM and am now on Bactrim (even though there isn't any indication of infection) and Ultram for pain ( as there is alot) and am waiting now for a call for an appointment with my friendly urologist to find out more. Should also be interesting to note that my mom was born with only one kidney, which had the same condition up until she developed cancer in it and had to have about half of it removed. She started out with blockages and kidney stones for many years before her cancer showed up...A scarey thought...

Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

At this point I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not a doc, but if it was horrendously serious they would have sent you to emerg. It's probably a simply blockage that can be easily fixed without any damage to the kidney.

Cora

Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
(female)

Torrilyn HB User

You're probably right ...The only thing they ever tell you is if the pain gets worse to go to the ER...UuMMM!!!! I can take ALOT of pain. And a trip to the ER is worse than anything I can deal with at home for the most part...Anyhow...I'm gonna take your advice and sit tight as that's all I can do at this point. I'm pulled from work for at least a week, and I'll just wait to see what the urologist has to say, and I'll let the pain med do it's thing...AAhh...ULTRAM

Closed Thread