It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

swinner HB User
Question Question: Cortical Thinning

Hello,

Does anyone know what this statment means, "diffuse cortical thinning of the right kidney... the kidney demonstrates a thin renal cortex"?

It is from ultrasound results that has resulted in a referral to a urologist and a more in-depth ultrasound. I couldn't get in for a couple months though and the waiting is the hardest part! Searched the internet but not really understanding what it means for the cortex to be "thinning."

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Question: Cortical Thinning

Ironically this renal cortex thinning was just quoted on my last CT as well so I would be curious as to what you find out.

Good luck ---- 2 both of us!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

swinner HB User

Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled? It's just the worst having to wait so long to get back in! I had constant bladder & kidney infections when I was young - up until about age 8 at which time they did a surgery to widen either the urethra or ureter - so long ago I can't remember and neither can my parents! Anyway, I'm wondering if whatever this is could be related to the issues I had as a child. Thanks & good luck to you too! Let me know if you find anything out!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I do not have a follow up as of yet - My doc is on vacation but as soon as he comes back I am on the top of the priority list to get in (due to other results on the CT). I could see his cover but I can't stand him so will wait on that one.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
(male)

kalbic HB User

Cortical thinning usually means renal failure. When the cortex of the kidney begins to thin that usually results in kidney function decreasing. You may find that you have a elevated BUN and CRE when a chem 7 blood panel is drawn.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
(female)

racefn36 HB User
Smile Re: Question: Cortical Thinning

I started out with pain/pressure in back on the right side at 4 weeks ago and nausea. I was scheduled for an ultrasound the same day, I had to wait for the results to be reported to my doctor before I could leave. Shortly after the ultrasound I was told that a CT scan was ordered and would have to wait for them to come get me. My doctor call me in radiology and told me that I needed a Nephroloist.I was recently diagnosed with Cortex thinning. It sometimes happens when there is a UJO (uteteropelvic junction obstruction) which is what has happened to me. The kidney needs the Cortical or Cortex. Once this has thinned out or is thinning out means that the kidney is not functioning. My CT scan reveled very marked hydronephrosis on the right kidney with a very thin cortex. I work for a nephrologist who explained it to me as a kidney with no function. My creatinine is 1.2 but my GFR is less then 55. Which for me means I have CKD3 (Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3). It is very important for you to get your sonogram or Ct results and talk with a urologist about the results. You also need to take steps to take care of the kidney that is working. For me I am also a diabetic and I have High Cholestrol and Hypertension. I am trying to get everything under control. I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread