It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

angiepangie77 HB User
Kidney Stone/Kidney Infection - Help Pls

Hello,
Yesterday I had outpatient surgery for a kidney stone removal, right side. I had a cytoscopy (I know I spelled that wrong) where they looked up into the ureter with the camera. Well...long story short, they didn't find a stone, even though right before they took me back for surgery, they took me to xray and the doctor came and looked at the xray right in front of me and said that the stone was still there (I've had it for over a month now). I've had a lot of back pain from this stone, even though it's a small stone and should have passed on it's own. Evidentally he told my husband (the doctor never came back and talked to me because he had to go and do emergency surgery) that I must have a kidney infection and that's what's causing my back pain. And he also said that he doesn't know what they were seeing on the xrays. That in itself is frustrating because I had a CT scan done last month that showed the stone, and the urologist confirmed it before he scheduled my surgery, and he's the one who confirmed that the stone was still on the xray the morning of the surgery. So I don't know what the heck is going on. He started me on Cipro, I've taken 4 doses of it. I'm still having excruciating back pain, actually it's worse than before the surgery. I'm also urinating very frequently and sometimes it's painful. I haven't noticed any blood in my urine. I've been urinating into a strainer and haven't seen any stones. So I'm just at a loss. I've been taking Vicodin extra strength every 4 hours for the pain because Tylenol or Advil doesn't cut it, and I'm not liking that because I have a lot of addiction in my family, and the Vicodin just makes me even more nauseous and tired than I already am. This evening was especially bad for me. I've had really really bad back pain and lower abdominal pain. I even thought about going to the ER, but as bad as this sounds, I decided not to because I was embarrassed to because I've been out there so much the past 2 months (I was having issues with asthma also this past month and was out there quite a few times for that - I actually spent some time in the hospital for that). I'm obviously not going to call my current urologist since he doesn't seem to know what the heck he's doing. I'm thinking of calling another urologist and getting a second opinion, but who knows how long it'll be until I get in. Does anyone have any advice or opinions? I'm desperate at this point. I'm so sick of being in pain

Thanks for listening,

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Kidney Stone/Kidney Infection - Help Pls

The cystoscopy itself is actually very traumatic to the kidney/ureter so some of the increased pain may be from that. Is you back pain unilateral or bi-lateral. Perhaps you had done some sort fo damage to your back or ribs from coughing so much. The reason I say ribs is I actually broke a small piece of a rib off from hacking and perhaps you did the same and that is the mystery "stone" on the films.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
(male)

solobx HB User
Smile Re: Kidney Stone/Kidney Infection - Help Pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepangie77 View Post
Hello,
Yesterday I had outpatient surgery for a kidney stone removal, right side. I had a cytoscopy (I know I spelled that wrong) where they looked up into the ureter with the camera. Well...long story short, they didn't find a stone, even though right before they took me back for surgery, they took me to xray and the doctor came and looked at the xray right in front of me and said that the stone was still there (I've had it for over a month now). I've had a lot of back pain from this stone, even though it's a small stone and should have passed on it's own. Evidentally he told my husband (the doctor never came back and talked to me because he had to go and do emergency surgery) that I must have a kidney infection and that's what's causing my back pain. And he also said that he doesn't know what they were seeing on the xrays. That in itself is frustrating because I had a CT scan done last month that showed the stone, and the urologist confirmed it before he scheduled my surgery, and he's the one who confirmed that the stone was still on the xray the morning of the surgery. So I don't know what the heck is going on. He started me on Cipro, I've taken 4 doses of it. I'm still having excruciating back pain, actually it's worse than before the surgery. I'm also urinating very frequently and sometimes it's painful. I haven't noticed any blood in my urine. I've been urinating into a strainer and haven't seen any stones. So I'm just at a loss. I've been taking Vicodin extra strength every 4 hours for the pain because Tylenol or Advil doesn't cut it, and I'm not liking that because I have a lot of addiction in my family, and the Vicodin just makes me even more nauseous and tired than I already am. This evening was especially bad for me. I've had really really bad back pain and lower abdominal pain. I even thought about going to the ER, but as bad as this sounds, I decided not to because I was embarrassed to because I've been out there so much the past 2 months (I was having issues with asthma also this past month and was out there quite a few times for that - I actually spent some time in the hospital for that). I'm obviously not going to call my current urologist since he doesn't seem to know what the heck he's doing. I'm thinking of calling another urologist and getting a second opinion, but who knows how long it'll be until I get in. Does anyone have any advice or opinions? I'm desperate at this point. I'm so sick of being in pain

Thanks for listening,

Angie
Hi there!

Pherhaps your husband is right, or maybe not less try this your pain is coming not from the infection but from the movements of the stone in your kidneys, the stone are making small cuts in your kidneys, that's why you are bleeding and the pain is so intense you hardly can stand it.

You need to see a Nephrologist, or if you want to drink green coconuts water one glass every hour for 13 days and when you urinate you can see the stones coming out do it in a white container.
If you can get the green coconut water then you need to do it with distilled water, no pop sodas, no tomatoes, no nuts, never drink water out the faucet again, perhaps your system is too old, it doesn't matter if you have a good filter.
I hope this help.

Good luck

Solobx

Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #4
(male)

solobx HB User

Angie! Urologists have limited experience with kidneys stone sorry i couldn't be here earlier to advice you better. please fallow my advice and if it doesn't work then go and see the (Nephrologist) << this is the doctor who can help you much better, wish you the best of luck.

Solobx

Old 03-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Angie -

I went to get cystoscopy yesterday for a stone and I had the same problem - stone on the CT and X-ray but no stone in me. There was an error reading the CT report and luckily the urologist never did the actual procedure. He is sending me for a Ct with contrast to see what else can be causing the problems. I suggest you may want to do the same. I disagree that nephologists know more then urologists but that is just from my experience.

Closed Thread