It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

LovesBooks&Bead HB User
Unhappy Question about kidney failure

I was diagnosed with severe kidney damage about 2 years ago. They are also full of small cysts. My last creatinine was 1.3 in June 2006 and hasn't been checked since. I'm wondering how a person feels when the kidneys start to fail. Over the last couple months I have alot of days when I feel very under the weather - no energy, an effort to do anything, stomach (not abdomen) pain. I'm on meds for my second UTI in the last 3 weeks. Don't know if this is associated with the kidneys or from the UTI or the meds. I've had pretty much continual UTIs for the last 40 years so have taken lots of antibiotics in my lifetime but don't remember them making me feel so bad before. I'd appreciate your comments.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Question about kidney failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBooks&Bead View Post
I was diagnosed with severe kidney damage about 2 years ago. They are also full of small cysts. My last creatinine was 1.3 in June 2006 and hasn't been checked since. I'm wondering how a person feels when the kidneys start to fail. Over the last couple months I have alot of days when I feel very under the weather - no energy, an effort to do anything, stomach (not abdomen) pain. I'm on meds for my second UTI in the last 3 weeks. Don't know if this is associated with the kidneys or from the UTI or the meds. I've had pretty much continual UTIs for the last 40 years so have taken lots of antibiotics in my lifetime but don't remember them making me feel so bad before. I'd appreciate your comments.
First of all, as someone who has run the gamut (kidney failure, dialysis, and transplant) I have to say that a creatinine of 1.3 is not "severe". You do have damage, but there is a good possibility that it will be many years before you need any sort of intervention. I first had protein in my urine in 1979 and didn't end up on dialysis until late 2001.

As to how you are feeling, one of the things that can make you tired is anemia, which often occurs with kidney damage. Make sure your docs check you for this. You may be prescribed iron (tablets or infusion) and put on some sort of kidney hormone like epo injections.

As for the infections, I can't say for sure, but if you have kidney damage, you are prone to more illness. Not necessarily kidney/bladder related, but just infections in general because you are not in the best of health.

Your feeling under the weather may just be the infection. I hope the antibiotics begin to work soon and you feel better. But I would definitely get more labs done to check on your kidney function as well as to check the anemial.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

deedee1313 HB User

My husband was in kidney failure for monthes before we knew it.Some of his symtoms were the same as yours.He never felt well.He was always tired.We knew something was wrong but we didn't know what it was.In addition to the things you described,he was also puffy.When your kidneys aren't working right you get a fluid buildup.Your kidneys are what gets rid of the excess fluid.His blood pressure was elevated.He had a hard time urinating.It would stop and go.and sometimes it would be frothy.He was an extreme case.By the time we found out that he was in kidney failure it was almost too late.You go on dialysis when your kidney function drops down to 15%.His was at 4%.Some of the things you can do to help would be to change your diet.Your kidneys are what gets rid of the toxins that come from the food we eat.Check out the renal diet.Maybe it will help you feel better till you find out for sure what is going on with you.Good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

JJ254 HB User

Quote:
My fioncee has chonic kidney failure, and went into rejection late last year. I have seen the good and bad sides to what someone with this disease can go through...I know that in times of dispare when u feel there is no hope and things cant get any worse,it helps to have someones to hold near. I know that this does help. Your creatinine has to be at least 8 before u are eligible for a transplant, and in the time you will be tired,irritible, nausiated, and in full discomfort. I am not an expert to this disease, but I can only tell u that in time it does get better and that it always helps to keep a positive insite no matter what the outcome the test show. My fioncee just started dialysis for the third time. He has had two kidney transplants. I know what helps is to watch what u eat, make sure u go to the doctor , and for the infections...it is because your body is immune surpressed whitch means u dont fight off infections as well as others do and that u are more prone to getting sick. I really dont know what else to u except for be stong and have an open mind. Things will get better.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
(female)

jessica_xo HB User

Quote:
I was just diagnosed w Renal Kidney Failure..boy was I SHOCKED!!! For nearly a year i suffered w severe back pain on the left side,i have had 2 back surgeries so thought it was related...my pain was so bad it went from my back,around the side n to my front.I thought maybe stones or a cyst on my ovary.Nope, when i got to the hospital they did a c-scan w Barium and they saw the left kidney has failed. I had a stent put in and will have removed 7 days later,actually this Wednesday..I will then have the kidney removed.The pain was so bad but my dr's are amazing n they did find the true reason for my back pain.I took RX Pain meds and NOTHING helped. Good Luck

Closed Thread