It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

Valfab1 HB User
Exclamation Kindey Stone Removing Stent Myself?

I have had Intercystitial Cystitis for about 3 years. At the beginning of January I developed Kidney Stones and passed a large one after a trip to the Emergency Room. For the last 7 weeks I have been suffering with a stuck stone that refused to move. Lots of medications and pain killers. Today I finally had Ureteroscopy to remove it. He placed a stent in the uretor after the stone was removed. I am at home now, very uncomfrtable, and as I have read a lot of other people say, the stent feels like another stone. The stent has a long string attached that is taped to my belly. Everything I have read on the internet says that the Dr. removes the stent. Mine has instructed me to remove it myself, 2 days after surgery. Does this seem odd? He just said to grasp the string a pulling with one smooth movement. I am pretty anxious about it. How much pain can I expect? I am use to intense pain after 2 months but this just sounds pretty awlful. Any response is appreciated, especially if there is someone out there who has done this themselves. Thanks, Valfab1 (or Vicadin Val)

Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Kindey Stone Removing Stent Myself?

Shouldn't hurt more then removing a tampon that is too dry (sorry to be graphic). If you are anxious that will make it worse - relax, breath, take a big breath, hold it and pull quickly but not forcefully that you rip the string the breath again. It is odd to have the patient remove it by I have heard of them saying it in some cases. I agree with Allie that spasms are common after words but perhaps he feels this won't be the case after only 2 days. I would be prepared to do this when you have an hour or two to calm down afterwards (so not 10 minutes before running out the door to get to a huge meeting that will last hours). You may (feel the) need to pee a lot afterwards so be near a bathroom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
(female)

Valfab1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Kindey Stone Removing Stent Myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejazz View Post
Just wondering how you are doing..Did you remove the stent yourself?
Thanks for checking on me. I did remove the stent. I was not prepared. I was envisioning a little tube about and inch or two long. It was almost 12 inches with a curl on each end! I almost fainted. It didn't hurt too bad at all. Now my concern is that it has been 5 days since surgery and I am still having a lot of pain, mostly back. Dr. said this is normal and to take 2 vicadin at a time. That helps but I am so ZONKED. Today is better than yesterday so I am hoping it will all be better soon. (He distended my bladder at the same time he removed to stone so maybe that's added to my recovery time.) I am pretty tough and usually bounce back from things quickly which is why I am so suprised to feel so bad for so long. I guess it's possible that my Fibromyalgia has contributed to this. By the way, thanks for your replies. This is a great resouce for support and info. Valfab

Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Kindey Stone Removing Stent Myself?

Hey Val!

Good job removing the stent by yourself. I knew it would be long but thought if you knew that it may just freak you out!

Proud of you! Hope your soon back to your old self!

Closed Thread