It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

TLValiant HB User
Questions about Kidney Stones

Back in November during a CT scan for something completely unrelated I was told I had kidney stones. I was never told size or number at the time and to be honest I put it in the back of my head since I had other health issues going on at the time. Well, last week I decided it was time to go get them checked out. The doctor I saw looked that the CT scans and told me yes that I do have two stones, one in each kidney. I was actually happy that there were not more. The one in my left kidney is 7.7 mm and the one in my right is 4.4 mm. She wanted me to go ahead and do a KUB to make sure of the size since the CT scan was back in November. Actually she was quite blunt with me, stating I was too large for the lithro thingie and another procedure she was talking about. I was quite upset by the end because of her lack of bedside manner.

I got the KUB done and actually saw another doctor in her practice since she was busy today to go over the results. I must say that this doctor is much nicer and she explained everything to me. She even told me that I was not too large for the procedures and said that the stones had grown just a bit but they were located at the bottoms of my kidneys which is good. She gave me options, that I could wait another 6 months, do another KUB and see if they are still growing, do the lithro thingie or another procedure where you go up and get them with lasers. Also, she is having me to the 24 hour urine test and running some blood work to try and find out what type of stones. I am still trying to decide what to do because she told me that the lithro does not work for everyone and she could only do one kidney at a time.

I guess the question I am asking is what in your opinions would be the best option? Should I wait and see or just go ahead and get them out?

Thank you all for your patience on this long post and your input.

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
(male)

rpg HB User
Re: Questions about Kidney Stones

Follow the second doctor's advice. She knows what she's talking about. Wait for the test results before lithro thingie (or any other surgery). Keep posting with more information when known.

Last edited by rpg; 03-19-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Allie,

They did not mention anything about hydpronephrosis but I may ask her when I see her again in two months. She told me it takes about that long to get all the results back from the blood tests and urine test. I have still not made up my mind about waiting or getting them out now. I hate surgery, have already had two within a years time and did not react well to the anethesia. I guess that was why I was wanting to put them off. I am at least going to wait until the tests come back.

Thank you both for your advice, I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Terry

Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

TL

Normally Litho is done under IV sedation so you are not under general anesthesia. You are asleep but you are breathing on your own, no tubes, etc. If this is your only reason for putting it off I would reconsider. I agree with what Allie says - I have too many stuck myself.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Allie,

I will call my doctor tomorrow and see if I can find out more about the CT scan results to make sure I do not have that other...Thank you for the advice.

2plus,

It is that and I am just so tired of being poked, prodded, etc. After all the surgeries and medical problems I have had I am just tired but I do understand. I do not want to go through the pain of trying to pass those stones. One is even too big to pass so that will be bad. I will call her and ask her about possibly doing the lithro, or at least have her explain it all to me...

Thank you both again..

Terry

Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

ladyneill56 HB User

I just had the litho treatment for a 7mm kidney stone. It's now been 3-4 weeks since the procedure and I am still in pain right after eating and before I go to bed. Since I've been in pain for 2 months now, If I could do it all over again, I would just have it surgically removed.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Oh wow, you are still in pain? Did they say if they were able to remove the stone? I might just go ahead and have them surgically removed, I most definitely want to remain in pain...

Terry

Old 03-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

The secret to a successful litho is defying gravity afterwards. I find the easiest way to do this is to lay on the bed up to my waist and lean back hanging my head over for about 25 minutes. Fortunately I have a trundle bed that works wonders for this. I am not that flexible but have been able to pull off this maneuver. TL you said you're doc would not do it due to your size, I am not sure what she meant by this but perhaps she thinks you will not be able to safely hang afterwards and therefore the post litho recovery would not work. I am not exactly svelte myself and had no problem.

Remember everyone after the litho the other secret is to drink drink drink.

If drinking hurts, consulting your MD immediately about a possible obstruction.

TL I agree about this sick of poking and prodding and viewing my insides and injections of funky material to get better pictures........yeah yeah.

Hang in there

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
(female)

onekidney HB User

Do not wait to have these stones removed. They grow and grow. The 7mm. one is not going to pass, but will create new ones and grow.

As for lithrotripsy, I was glad I had open surgery. No complications. By the way, my complete right kidney had to be removed. The stones were not discovered until it was too late to save the kidney.

In your case, with stones in both kidneys, be very assertive with these doctors.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
(female)

TLValiant HB User

one kidney,

That seems to be the consenus from almost everyone that has responded. Wow, I never knew that kidney stones could get so bad you could lose your kidney. It seems my body is prone to stones. I had my gallbladder removed last year because it was so full of stones. I cannot seem to get rid of the stones in my salivary gland and now this. My mother is always joking with me about where else could I get stones..hehehe..I certainly do not want to cause anymore problems with my body or heaven forbid lose another organ. So would you have done the lithro first or just gone right for them just removing them by open surgery? I know you said you were glad you did open surgery...

Oh and to answer an earlier question, I went to a urologist for these stones since I was told they were the best person to handle the stones.

Thank you for your words...

Terry

Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Litho is less invasive and if this is a recurring problem I would think Litho may be better then open surgery. Have you gone for a metabolic urine and modified your diet to prevent recurrence. I use a product called Theralith to slow my stones down and so far it has helped. I went from 12 at a time to 3 at a time. You need to get it ordered through your uro but there is no prescription needed. Your uro will tell you which formula you will need.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
(female)

onekidney HB User
Wink Re: Questions about Kidney Stones

[QUOTE=TLValiant;2882912]one kidney,

That seems to be the consenus from almost everyone that has responded. Wow, I never knew that kidney stones could get so bad you could lose your kidney. It seems my body is prone to stones. I had my gallbladder removed last year because it was so full of stones. I cannot seem to get rid of the stones in my salivary gland and now this. My mother is always joking with me about where else could I get stones..hehehe..I certainly do not want to cause anymore problems with my body or heaven forbid lose another organ. So would you have done the lithro first or just gone right for them just removing them by open surgery? I know you said you were glad you did open surgery...

Oh and to answer an earlier question, I went to a urologist for these stones since I was told they were the best person to handle the stones.

I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you. I would have had lithrotripsy if that had been an option for me. My entire right kidney had to be removed by the time the stones were discovered. The kidney no longer had any function. I am on potassium citrate long term, since the cause was hypocitraturia. ( lack of citrates in the urine) causing calcium stones.

The urologist is the person to consult. Other dr. seems to know little about this condition.

Last edited by onekidney; 04-03-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 04-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #13
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Update:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I started getting my blood test results back after I called my doctor's office. They stated that most of my levels were normal with the exception of my uric acid which was slightly elevated. They think that is what is causing my stones but they are still waiting on the 24 hr urine test to come back. I am wondering how common are those type of stones and are they easy to treat? Would I still need to do the lithro thingie?

Thanks!

Terry

Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
(female)

suvolleyball HB User

I am on my third kidney stone, the first i had to pass, the second i had lithotripsy done, and my current one i have to pass as well. The only thing is that i dont remember it ever hurting this bad! The one thing that really concerns me though, is that it has been one + weeks since i went to the ER and i STILL have not passed the stone. I know that the stone is right about to go from my bladder to my Eureter...but i dont understand why this is taking so long?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to pass a stone? (i think the doctor said mine was 4mm...but i could be wrong) and any tips on what will help me pass it faster?!

Thanks!

Last edited by suvolleyball; 04-15-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
(female)

onekidney HB User

From what I understand, uric acid stones are the easiest to treat, and can possibly be dissolved..

Good Luck

Closed Thread