It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User
Scared to have stent removed- advice?

I had a stent put into my right ureter during my pregnancy --- then after giving birth on the 30th of March - they did a CT scan and found I had a 6mm stone on the left side.

(I was induced because I went in with left kidney pain at 36 weeks pg- they said enough was enough- and wanted to take the baby out and treat my stones properly so I wouldn't keep comign in with kidney pain- it was my 3rd time in the hospital b/c of it!)

So- 3 days after giving birth- I was put under general anestheisa - they removed the right stent- and did litho on the left kidney stones - and put in a stent on the left.

It's been 3 weeks since the left stent was put in- and I'm going for my CT scan this week to see if the stones passed... then I need to go to the doc's office and have the stent removed.

I'm SCARED TO DEATH! I have been through SOOO much pain --- the stent during pregnancy was MISERABLE every minute I had it... I'm still healing from a bad tear during pregnancy- so that area is very sore.... Thankfully the left stent doesn't cause me pain --- but I'm SO scared to have the stent removed while I'm awake!

I have left over percocet and vicodin- which should I take? Any other advice?

I had minor spasms after the right stent removal- praying it goes as well with the left - as I have a newborn to take care of now....

Not sure why i'm writing all this- maybe just because I'm so worried about more pain - it's been a really hard 2 months since the first kidney stone attack.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Gail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
(female)

lynn06 HB User
Angry Re: Scared to have stent removed- advice?

Hi Gail, I am having my stent removed on Monday and I am scared also. I am planning on taking 2 vicodin and Ditropan. Some people say it hurts a lot and others say not at all so we will just have to see how it goes for me. I also recently had a baby. He is 4 months old. I have hated having this stent. I am having lithotripsy on the other side on May 1. I am going to see if I don't have to have a stent this time. As far as which drug to take, I think either Percocet or Vicodin are OK. I took Percocet after my c-section and I am taking Vicodin now. They seem about the same. Do you recommend to be put to sleep during lithotripsy? My dr. just wants to sedate me, but I don't know about that. I will let you know how it goes on Monday. Good Luck to you and I hope you feel better. By the way, do you think the pregnancy caused your kidney stones? I think mine were caused by eating so much Tums in my last trimester for heartburn. I'll never do that again. I'd rather have heartburn than kidney stones anyday. Take care...

Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

lynn06 HB User
Re: Scared to have stent removed- advice?

Gail, also I have found that taking a very hot shower or bath really calms the spasms down. That is what I am planning on doing after the stent removal. Sometimes while I was passing the stone the water wouldn't help because the pain was so intense, but most of the time it did. I have actually slept the last 4 nights in the bathtub because it is the only place I get any relief to get some sleep.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Gail -

I was petrified when they took the stent out my first time. But I worried for nothing. The removal itself was quick and painless. They do numb and clean you a little first which may hurt from your tear but nothing more then cleaning yourself after you go to the bathroom. I wouldn't load up on the painkillers just to have the stent out but you may want to take an antispasmotic before/after to help. To be honest, I am not a holistic fanatic but if you are nursing the best natural anti spasmatic is simple parsley!!! The Lebanese make an AWESOME parsley salad out of red onion, parsely, garlic and lemon. You may want to make it and have before you go.

Good luck!

2+1

Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User

Thanks for the advice, etc. I think just knowing there could be pain- and knowing when it will come is the worst... I'd rather be surprised with pain

We'll see how it goes! I have my CT scan on Thursday- hopefully all the stones/fragments are gone - I am looking forward to moving on with my life after all these issues with my pregnancy and stones in teh past 2 months!

thanks again!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
(female)

lynn06 HB User

Goldie Locks 5..How did your CT scan go today? I had my stent out Monday. The anticipation was the worst part. It was very quick. I was sore for about 2 hours afterwards so I took a hot shower and have felt great ever since. Even though it hurts a little to have it out, you will feel such relief.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #7
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User

That's good to hear!

I had the CT scan yesterday- they said the doc will have the results in a day or two- so I'll call him on Monday if I don't hear from him today... and then go from there. I hope I have an easy removal like you!! Thanks for posting!

Closed Thread