It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

snpdrgn HB User
Unhappy Nephrologist is clueless... biopsy in two weeks... my fri doc appt

I had my first nephrologist appointment yesterday. I peed in a cup and gave 7 vials of blood . She looked me up and down and all over and went over my last hospitalizations and my symptoms and medical history and then she told me quote/end quote that it would be "blatant mapractice" to not give me a kidney biopsy. So I will be having a biopsy 99% sure in two weeks or less depending on how fast they can schedule it. The only thing that would stop it is by some fluke chance some of my blood work comes back with a big answer but the nephrologist said she doubted that would happen. She said if you have any sort of kidney disease that your protein count will always get higher when you are pregnant and then told me if I basically ignored this and left it untreated I could end up with permanant kidney damage and the sooner they find out what exactly it is the sooner they can put me on meds or possibly pregnancy safe chemo. She said in all the biopsies shes ever done shes always found the cause of the protein but some doctors have biopsied and the results have been inconclusive so there is always that chance.

She then went over some of the things that could cause this such as diabetes and lupus and said shes pretty sure I dont have either of those and that some of the kidney diseases come and go as they please and may not even need treatment but some stay unless treated and will just get worse and basically I could have had this all my life and just not know unless by some fluke chance a doctor in my past history had me do a urine test when it was flarred up.

So I get to spend all day in the hospital and then get to lay on my pregnant stomach for the procedure and she said they wont give me any sedation because I am pregnant or maybe they would but it would be a HIGHLY CONTROLLED amount which sucks but I understand why they have to do it.

Anyways thats the latest on me. I want to know whats up but the idea of a biopsy is not my idea of a good time. Oh well at least maybe I am getting closer to a diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

snpdrgn HB User
Re: Nephrologist is clueless... biopsy in two weeks... my fri doc appt

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_2448 View Post
Hi snpdrgn

I was wondering how you were doing..

Sorry to hear you have to have a biopsy but as your doctor said you should be able to get some answer as to the cause of this..

Waiting of so tough

Feel free to vent to us anytime..

I wish you didn't have to go through this you should be enjoying your pregnancy...How is the pregnancy going other than this?

Please keep us posted...

The baby is still totally doing good and I am out of the first trimester so the pregnancy itself is going well. Its just me still thats sick and miserable! I am at 14 1/2 weeks today. They dont think that the pregnancy would be in jeopardy because of the kidney stuff or gastro stuff I have going on at the same time its just that it could cause some permanant damage to me.

I FINALLY have my tentative biopsy date for next Wednesday the 9th which I am super happy about. I just want to get in there and figure out whats going on and get some help. Plus the longer I wait the more uncomfortable laying on my stomach will get so I just want to get this procedure over with and get some answers on something for a change.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

AngelSoul HB User

Hi, I'm new to the site and don't know anyone or their conditions yet but I was just curious why the doctor wants to do a biopsy?

By the way congratulations on your pregnancy.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

Wow. What a lot to go through while pregnant! Congrats on your pregnancy, and good luck with the biopsy.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

snpdrgn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoul View Post
Hi, I'm new to the site and don't know anyone or their conditions yet but I was just curious why the doctor wants to do a biopsy?

By the way congratulations on your pregnancy.
I had a biopsy because I had a ton of protein in my urine (way higher than even for normal pregnant women) and my kidney function was showing still normal. They said that pregnancy puts such a strain on your kidneys that they needed to find out what I had going on or that if it was left untreated through my pregnancy that it could potentially cause permanent kidney damage.

That and I was feeling uber crappy and no one knew why but almost any symptom you have crappy feeling wise, they can call just a "normal" pregnancy symptom.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Still no results???

What's taking so long?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

They don't know what you have but
they'll treat you if you get worse

Interesting theory.....

Old 05-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #8
(male)

shamanlvl59 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Nephrologist is clueless... biopsy in two weeks... my fri doc appt

When our bodies digest the protein we eat, the process creates waste products. In the kidneys, millions of tiny blood vessels (capillaries) with even tinier holes in them act as filters. As blood flows through the blood vessels, small molecules such as waste products squeeze through the holes. These waste products become part of the urine. Useful substances, such as protein and red blood cells, are too big to pass through the holes in the filter and stay in the blood. Diabetes can damage this system. High levels of blood sugar make the kidneys filter too much blood. All this extra work is hard on the filters. After many years, they start to leak. Useful protein is lost in the urine. Having small amounts of protein in the urine is called microalbuminuria. When kidney disease is diagnosed early, (during microalbuminuria), several treatments may keep kidney disease from getting worse. Having larger amounts is called macroalbuminuria. When kidney disease is caught later (during macroalbuminuria), end-stage renal disease, or ESRD, usually follows.
In time, the stress of overwork causes the kidneys to lose their filtering ability. Waste products then start to build up in the blood. Finally, the kidneys fail. This failure, ESRD, is very serious. A person with ESRD needs to have a kidney transplant or to have the blood filtered by machine (dialysis).Not everyone with diabetes develops kidney disease. Factors that can influence kidney disease development include genetics, blood sugar control, and blood pressure.The better a person keeps diabetes and blood pressure under control, the lower the chance of getting kidney disease.The kidneys work hard to make up for the failing capillaries so kidney disease produces no symptoms until almost all function is gone. Also, the symptoms of kidney disease are not specific. The first symptom of kidney disease is often fluid buildup. Other symptoms of kidney disease include loss of sleep, poor appetite, upset stomach, weakness, and difficulty concentrating.

NOW I DID PULL THIS INFORMATION OFF A WEBPAGE BUT I DO HAVE A KIDNEY DISEASE SO I CAN HELP OUT OR EVEN HELP YOU COPE WITH YOUR PROBLEM. IF YOU DO HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR ME YOU CAN MESSAGE ME OR LEAVE A POST AND I WILL RESPOND TO IT THANK YOU HOPE I CAN HELP

Closed Thread