It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
How long do kidney stones take to pass?

Hi! I am 20 years old. I just had my gallbladder out 4 weeks ago, and there were no stones there. I had a CT scan done in December and it showed kidney stones, but they didn't do anything about htem. Well, On Saturday I go these severe pelvic pains, on the right side. I went to ER. They did an ultrasound and bloodwork, and put in a catheter. they gave me some pain meds and sent me home, diagnosing me with acute pelvic pain. Well, I got home, and the pain started shooting up my side. I decided to wait it out, take the pain meds, and try and deal. It didn't help. I went back to ER on Sunday. They did a CT scan, and it showed that a lot of my kidney stones had passed (possibly the reason for hte pain?). Well, now I am on Percoset, Temedol (sp?), Phenergan, and Bactrim. I think 2 are for pain, 1 is for nausea, and 1 is an antiobiotic. Well, now my question is, how am I going to know when I pass the stone(s) I didn't know I was passing them before, but now there isn't any pain, because I am on lots of pain killers. The pain was excrutiating before, but htey finally gave me meds that work, so that is good, but I just don't know that I will know when it is going to be good to get off of the meds and not worry about the pain coming back. It was horrible.

The Following User Says Thank You to bananarama For This Useful Post:
maryellen666 (03-10-2012)
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: How long do kidney stones take to pass?

I passed mine without knowing that they came out of me. But i was told most men know when it comes out. I don't think it's the same for women. so the pain stoping might be the only way you know you passed it.

It took 7-10 days for mine to pass. could take 1 hour-weeks for the average person. Some times the stones are to big to pass.

Last edited by adamace1; 05-01-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks. So, I guess the only way to know then is just wait and not take the pain meds for a bit until the pain comes back. Doesn't sound like fun, but I don't want to get hooked on the pain meds, so I am willing to do anything not to.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Some doctors like you to strain your urine. That is when you go to the bathroom, they have a strainer with a white cloth in it, so the urine goes thru but any gravel or stones stay in the strainer. Good Luck.
PS You might also have some minor bleeding when passing stones so you can look for that.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks. Good idea. They didn't mention straining my urine, but it does seem like a more practical way to see whether or not I passed it than just going off the pain meds and testing it that way.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Also if you can catch the stone you can take it to a doc to get tested. They might be able to tell you what caused the stones so you can change your diet to try an avoid them.

I think-i may be wrong, but dairy products, uric acid, and pop can cause kidney stones.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks! so far I don't think it has passed yet, but I am having hte pelvic pain still. Do you think that the kidney stones are definitely causing that? I don't know right now, but I do know that it hurts!!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

I can't say what your pain is from.

So they said it looked like the stone can pass?

I remember they put me in the hospital over night to watch me and take tons of x-rays with die to make sure the stone didn't block the flow from the kidney.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

They didn't say anything really. Just loaded me with pain killers and antibiotics and something for nausea and sent me on my way. I hope it passes soon, because it is getting really annoying and painful. I really wish I knew if it was what is causing the pain. I am also having some other types of problems right now. I am having some bowel issues, so I am thinking that some of hte pain could be coming from that. Hmmm...

Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks. Yeah, my side is in extreme pain if I get off of the meds. It is a dull ache even on them. I am on percocet, toradol, bactrim, and phenergan all for this. I don't htink any of them are to help break it down, just help with pain and nausea, and make sure I don't get an infection. I don't know. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to see what he says. I know something in there is hurting really really bad!!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

It sounds like your kidney stone is stuck in your ureathea. You really should go to a urologist. They can test your urine for unseen blood. They can also perform a cystoscope. That's when they put you under anethesia and use an instrument to take the stone out of your urethea. I've had it done twice due to I couldn't pass my stones. And for all of us that has suffered from kidney stone pain, once you know what that pain is, you will never forget.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Eeek. Doesn't sound like fun. I am seeing my primary care doctor tomorrow, if they will let me go in without paying the copay, and I will ask him then what I should do. All I know is I am in pain even on the meds, and it hurts really bad. I am on the phone now waiting for a response to whether or not they are going to allow me to come in. I hope so, because these kidney stones are annoying, and not even the only problem I m going through. I think I have an ear infection as well. I am moving back home on Saturday for a couple of weeks, then spending my summer out of state, so I need to get this taken care of like now. It is getting really stressful. Thanks for hte advice.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
(female)

not2late HB User

My one and only kidney stone took a full week to pass, I started feeling sick on a Friday, went to the doctors on a Monday and was misdiagnosed with a UTI and given no pain meds, then ended up in the ER on Thursday night, was told it was a 4mm stone but almost all the way to my bladder already, and finally Friday I passed it. All I can say is OUCH. I was told walking help get them moving... I know it's hard to want to move with so much pain though.
Good Luck!

Last edited by not2late; 05-02-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Thanks for the tip! I have been doing quite a bit of walking. How did you survive without pain meds?? I thought I was dying before, because the pain was just so intense. Eeek. Hopefully this last one or two will pass in the next couple of days. it hurts SO stinking bad, but at least I have the pain meds to help a bit. All I have to do I keep telling myself is get through my last final exam, and then I can just sleep it off. Probably won't work, but it is worth a try. If I am sleeping, the thought is I won't feel it.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
(female)

not2late HB User

The pain was really bad when I didn't have pain meds and whats worse is it was my first week of classes at college and I was trying to go to class but I was usually just doubled over on my bed crying most of the week.

Also drink Looooooooootssss of water. When I went to the ER I had to have an IV for fluids because I was very dehydrated.

Closed Thread