It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

bleigh HB User
Gout and Kidney Stone advice

Hi. I appreciate any advice that can be offered. I'm a 31 yr old female and am really getting concerned with why I've already had gout at 29 and now a kidney stone. I'm working with my doctor to get information, but they're not much help. They did not tell me to strain my urine so we could test the stone...I just informed them that I'm doing it on my own and will hopefully have it by Monday.
They did put me on a low oxalate diet assuming this is a calcium related stone. My question is....would it make more sense to assume this may be a uric acid stone as I've already had gout? I know the diet information is different and I certainly want to be on the right track so I don't end up with these painful disorders again. My urine was normal for both attacks and no blood work was ordered. Also, I've read there may be an underlying disorder that could cause gout in pre-menopause women....any suggestions?? Lab suggestions? The docs seem completely complacent about this leaving me to research on my own.
Again, I thank you for any advice!!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: Gout and Kidney Stone advice

Well, I'm not exactly sure why they didn't do any blood work. She just ordered a CT scan and a urine test. For the life of me, I can't understand why I was not told to try and collect the stone. After all, it is part of the treatment plan for kidney stones. I am not a diabetic. I am about 35lbs overweight. I normally eat very sensibly with little to no junk or fast food. I don't tolerate carbs or grains very well and I wonder if there may be a link. I've had a feeling for a long time that something is not quite right with my body and I can't help but feel that these issues may be a clue to something else. I had a high cholesterol screen about a year ago with high triglycerides.....went on a month of NO carbs, lost 15lbs, felt great, and lipid panel was perfect. I also have fibromyalgia and low carb diet helps with pain management. I have had a complete thyroid panel and it was normal as well. I don't know if any of that information will be helpful for any of you advice givers, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Also, I've been suffering with upset stomach and dry mouth with this kidney stone. I'm drinking plenty of water and am not swelling...not thirsty, just dry mouth. I do take 10mg of Elavil at night but it usually does not cause day time dryness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

bleigh HB User

CT scan located the kidney stone. Urine test done in the office was normal. Is there a more comprehensive urine test I should request?

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
(female)

Goldie_Locks_5 HB User

Low carb diets can cause elevated uric acid- so beware if you have gout flare ups. There's a new drug due to be out in about a year- Uloric- that works well on lowering uric acid levels- not sure if you have tried meds before (alipurinol is really the only drug for hyperuricemia/gout) - might be able to get into a study if you need it badly.

I'd make sure to catch the next stone and have it analyzed to know what type it is for sure so you can alter your diet - if needed.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie_Locks_5 View Post
Low carb diets can cause elevated uric acid- so beware if you have gout flare ups. There's a new drug due to be out in about a year- Uloric- that works well on lowering uric acid levels- not sure if you have tried meds before (alipurinol is really the only drug for hyperuricemia/gout) - might be able to get into a study if you need it badly.

I'd make sure to catch the next stone and have it analyzed to know what type it is for sure so you can alter your diet - if needed.
Be careful with alipurinol at your age. I asked about it too but 2 of 3 doctors said that alipurinol should not be used in pre-menopausal women but I can't remember why.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
(female)

bleigh HB User

Thanks for the replies....
I've only had one attack of gout 2 years ago so I'm not very concerned at this time about being on meds. Seems like I would need to have several attacks before even thinking about it.
I guess my main concern is why would a female at 29 yrs old get gout in the first place? And shouldn't I assume that this kidney stone would be more likely a uric acid stone? Right now I have no idea what to eat as the diets for uric acid and calcium stones are different.
My PA's nurse called this morning and granted me my wish of getting my stone analyzed once it passes. I even asked her about the assumption of what kind of stone this is. She just said I can bring my stone in. It's like my health and my questions are inconvenient for them. Just makes me sick. Sorry for venting...I know most of you have had similar experiences. Yes, I'll be looking for another doctor....or will just use the VA for all my healthcare needs (and that's not the best place for medical care either, but I don't have to pay for it).

One more question for you all....How long does it take for one of these things to pass? My stone is about 3mm and feels as if it's been in the same location since last Thursday night. Feels like it's much closer to my bladder and is not causing much pain at all. When it does hurt, it's does not interfere with my activities. Just getting tired of peeing in a cup. Any hints on how to get it to move faster....I'm drinking lots of water.....

Thanks again!!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I have said it again and again - Defy gravity and the stone will move. Keep your jips elevated higher then your head and the stone will start to move. This is best to do 1/2 hour after drinking.

I have both types of stones and learned to moderate my diet to take into effect both. Becoming a lover of lemons and limes. I was 30 when I had gout - do you drink a lot of red wine and eat a lot of beef - this can bring on gout. You also have to make up for 30 years of eating what may not have been right for your body.

They call it the rich man's disease becuase it comes from meats and heavy iron diets. Italians for one have a tendency towards gout as do Eastern Bloc countries - Hungary, Austria and Poland due to all the smoked meats.

The nurse is right that they can not assume what type of stone it is until it comes out. As far the rest of your venting about the medical system - I am right there for you!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
(female)

bleigh HB User

My babies are going to be getting a kick out of me in a few minutes. My hips are going to be as high as I can get them!! Thanks for the tip.

Seems like it's going to be difficult to get on the right diet. I don't do well with carbs (grain carbs) and I love all my green leafy veggies. I do drink red wine in moderation....at the most a glass or two a week (rarely more). Probably do consume more red meat than I should, but mainly chicken. I really hope this is a uric acid problem as I feel I can handle the dietary changes much better. If I have to navigate low purine and low oxalate diets at the same time, I'm not sure of what I will be able to eat. I feel sorry for those of you who have had to deal with these issues...I'm beginning to understand the difficulty.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Your babies??? Are you pregnant - if so check with your doc before taking my advice. I would hate to see the babies put pressure on the kidneys or do any damage to the kiddies.

My RROD thread includes foods that I eat and combine the low purine and the low oxolate diets. I do love broccoli rabe and all the fun veggies but alas I gaze from afar as others consume.

I can't believe there are diets I consider "cheating" just so I could have a good salad and cottage cheese!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
(female)

bleigh HB User

OH, MY....no I'm not pregnant. My babies are 3 and 4 yrs old. Of course, they thought it was funny and crawled all over me. Needless to say, I didn't stay that way for long. I did worry about all my stomach fat sliding to my neck and suffocating me....gave me a whole new perspective.....I certainly won't be doing this while my husband is in the room.

By the way, how long do you suggest to keep your hips elevated? It's not very comfy....

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

They say about 20 minutes at a time - if you can stand it (no pun intended). Yes the fat rises to the neck but alas settles back on the hips just as quickly as it settled in there after your skinny best friend ordered the triple fudge cheesecake and pounded it down with a margarita while you looked on with envy and vicariously gained weight for her. Then to add insult to injury she complains that she can never keep weight on......but I digress.

Laughter helps move the stones too.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_2448 View Post
Hi 2plus

I'm one of those who can not gain weight no matter what I do...any suggestions????

Yes Come to my place, I'll fatten you up - real quick. Some lasagna, a bit of homemade fried chicken, meatballs, garlic bread, pasta, pasta, pasta, some Chicken Paprikash with homemade dumplings, - can't guarantee renal friendly but can guarantee you will gain weight.

I'm down to 92 pounds since getting so sick again..as soon as I gain weight I lose the few pounds and then some..

You at least have a reason. Though not a good one. So you are not one of those friends I was referring to. I was referring more to those healthy friends that eat one of everything on the Chinese smorgasbord - go back for seconds and is still skinny as a rail.

I seroiusly need help...I need HOUSE...
Paging DR.HOUSE are you out there..LOL

I had to laugh about the fat rising....after having kids the skin isn't as tight as it use to be..

See that - and laughter helps.

bleigh
i hope you feel better soon....

Old 05-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Seriously though Allie, it is probably the pain and the painkillers that contribute to the loss of weight and alas there is little we in the cyber world can do for that but cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
(female)

bleigh HB User

I don't know what I'd do if I had to try to gain weight. All I have to do is look at food and it puts the weight on me. I probably don't eat enough and still weigh 185lbs....35lbs overweight!! You probably couldn't drink one of those high calorie supplement drinks?? Would be great if we could learn how to do fat transplants as I'd be first in line to be a donor....

Stupid stone seems to still be with me. I still feel that spot every now and then, but I wonder if it could have passed and I didn't notice it. Could that happen? Wouldn't it be slightly uncomfortable coming out? It is only 3mm, but I would think that would be noticeable. IF it's still there, I'm going on two weeks with it.

A few more questions...Is it possible to only suffer with stones one time? I've looked back into my two weeks prior to getting the stone and I definitely had some dietary changes. Drank way more iced tea (usually never drink it), had more salt than usual (normally very low sodium), probably too much meat, did work outside one whole day with little to drink, and meal supplemented with chocolate protein shakes. Could that combination over that short period lead to this stone? Could it be likely that if I just maintain my normal diet I may not have a chronic problem? OR, is it something that takes longer than two weeks to develop?

Sorry for nagging you all with my questions. You all are so much more informative than the doctors!! Thanks again for any answers you can provide.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
(female)

bleigh HB User

Still not sure what kind of stone it is....not sure if it's left me yet....

Wouldn't I notice if it came out????

Normally my diet is very healthy. I'm used to a lower sodium diet as I'm not fond of salt, and I just really don't like tea (unless my mom makes it..was at her house for 2 weeks so I indulged).

I hope I can find out if stones can form in that amount of time. I'm not kidding myself that I won't possibly have a problem in the future, but I sure hope my normal diet won't affect this condition.

Thanks again for responding...

Closed Thread