It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

candyheart HB User
My heart stopped!!!

For those of you who remembered--My lithotripsy was scheduled for last Monday, May 7th. I did have a blood pressure issue for several weeks before the procedure--when I went in on Monday morning my bp was up a bit, but a decision was made to go ahead with the litho. An x-ray was taken to locate my 7mm stone--it had moved down alittle from the kidney. My dr. wasn't sure that the litho would work with the stone location and said he may have to stent me and go in with a laser to crush to stone--not to worry, the stent could come out in 2-3 days..So off we go to start the procedure, they started the general anithesia. The next thing I know nurses, drs., people all over me trying to wake me up--yelling "your heart stopped, your heart stopped!" I was so groggy I didn't know what the hell was going on--I just kept asking "am I okay?' My husband was standing next to my head with tears rolling down his face. When I was pretty much awake I was told that there was a Cardiologist brought in. They had ran at least 6 EKGs and all was normal, but my blood pressure was sky high and they were having trouble bringing it down. The cardio dr told me I was fine and he felt that what had happened was a fluke thing. I was admitted to the cardio unit and monitored--24 hr heart monitor was normal. The urologist said he had just put the stent in when my heart stopped for 10-15 seconds. The hospital stay got worse-I cannot take Cipro, but a nurse gave me Levaquin in an IV and almost killed me with a severe allergic reaction. So now, I'm home, with a stent in (it is killing me!!!) My bp is still high, I need to build up some strength(I'm very weak and tired) and then have a cardio work-up, to be cleared to go back in and take care of the kidney stone and stent. What a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
(female)

suzycat HB User
Re: My heart stopped!!!

Good Lord!!!!! What a scary story!!!! Please take it slowly, I'm sure your boody will need time to recover from all that trauma. I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

I am so, so sorry that you went through all of that. I have been thinking about you and worrying because you have not been back to post. It sounds though like you had good doctors especially the cardiologist. Take lots of time to rest and feel better and do let us know how things go. We will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

glowing4

Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Candy,

If you don't kill your uro can I? From all the things you said about him and now this! I am so sorry about what happened but glad to see you are able to tell us about it. Someone was watching over you

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
(female)

candyheart HB User

Thanks guys--you all have me choaked up. I can actually feel your concern and that means so much to me. Some answers to your questions- my uro is done!!! My primary says she thinks that's impossible because he's the one who put the stent in and he should fininsh what he started. I said no way....finish what he started--he almost killed me!!! My uro is done--I'm still thinking on what to do for a replacement. The hospital cardio dr doubled by bp meds--we'll see if that works--I was looking for a complete change, but they want to try doubling the meds---augh! I am walking around now, doing what I usually do but much more slowly--was thinking about taking a walk today, the weather is finally beautiful!! I'm so glad that I found this forum when I did, my spirits are really down, and sharing with you helps!!! This stent is killing me, the tub does help. Yesterday my primary care dr gave me Detrol LA. She said the uro said it would help with the stent. I have not taken any yet because I still don't think that the uro knows what he is doing. Isn't Detrol for bladder control (onTV)? I've got no problem with that-- the stent feels like crap and after I pee--oh my god!!! what a horrendous feeling!!!! Any thoughts or ideas for me would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

The detrol helps bladder spasms which the stent can cause. It will burn when you pee but that will subside each and every time you go. If they gave you the stuff that turns your pee orange (forgot the name) I found that aggravated the problem but that is just me.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Candy,

Just checking in to see how you are doing? Let us know.

2+

Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

lisalikesmakeup HB User

WOW! You've been through hell with ur urologist! I feel so bad! How are the stent spasms going? I was given detrol LA when I had a couple of my stents too, It helped, but the pills that turn your urine orange and stain everything..helped better. (My mom HATES those pills..lol) Well I hope you are feeling better, because I know how much those stents suck! I had one that was bigger than normal once, (after surgery) and it was hard for him to get out! Terrible! I hope you're feeling bettr!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
(female)

candyheart HB User

Just a bit of an update. The increase in bp meds has made me sooooo tired, and the stent has gotten no better at all. I've really felt so beat up for the last two weeks. Have been back and forth to my primary dr and my bp is finally coming down and staying down. Yesterday I had a Cardio appt., had another EKG, echo,and carotid artery test--everything came out fine. Today went back to cardio and had a nuclear stress test to test for blockages in the heart--again, thank goodness, everything is fine. Walking for almost 9 minutes on that tread mill was tough with this stent in. So now I have the Cardio clearance to go ahead and deal with my kidney stone and stent. The cardio dr feels the anethesiologist was at fault (did something or did not do something she should have done) the morning of my surgery. Even with that said, I will not use the same uro dr., I'm thinking of using the senior partner in the same practice tho. Both my primary and cardio dr said they doubt an outside uro dr will want to get involved in my case now--with stent already in. I know I have to deal with this stent and stone soon, but I'm scared to death to have general anethesia again. The cardio dr says he's not worried at all--but I should definiately not use the same anethesiologist.. Seems to me someone screwed up that morning and I've been paying for it ever since. Does anyone know if I have to have general anethesia for the upcoming sugery- would an epidural work?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

What surgery are they doing next. I am a little spacey today so perhaps I missed it. Were you under general when this happened last time or was it just IV sedation. I would not blame the heart stoppage on the uro but I still think he is an incompetent boob.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

You don't have to have general anesthesia for lithotripsy. I had mine done last week with just calming drugs like Darvon etc. They give you a few things before and an IV during. I never really went to sleep - just stayed calm and relaxed. They probably gave you the general to put the stent in. I didn't have a stent and seem to be passing these pieces just fine. I won't know if it is all gone for sure until I go back for the x-ray, but it seems to have worked. I would definitely ask if you need a stent, explain what happened, and tell them you do not want a general.

So glad the cardiologist found nothing wrong. Good luck and let us know.

glowing4

Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Even stents can be done without general. Not as pleasant and safe but can be done.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
(female)

candyheart HB User

I don't know what is next with the uro dr. Right now my 7 mm stone is inside my stent. The uro dr had said that he had just put in the stent when the anethesiologist said my heart had stopped-so he stopped. He had told me before the procedure he would try lithotripsy first, if that would not work then he would put a stent with a string at the end for easy removal after 2 or 3 days( I had told him NO stent). I now believe he lied to me--the stent he put in has no string and he put that in BEFORE he knew there was any problem. He was going to laser(crush) the stone inside the stent and remove any pieces. I was under general anethesia during this whole time. I'm still undecided about the uro drs, but it is good to know that maybe I can change altogether. This whole mess happened in a hospital, and just 5 minutes ago I told my primary dr that I will not be going back to that hospital. The cardio dr in the hospital was good,but he also told me someone screwed up (most likely anethesiaologist)--now my own cardio dr said the same thing. Sooo right now I don't know what's next, stone, stent ? I'm just moving at my own pace right now, telling drs what I WANT and WHEN I WANT. Two days after I came home for the hospital all the drs wanted to start with the Cardio stuff--I could barely walk, couldn't eat.. I went when I was ready. Even after waiting like I did, this morning I am having more blood in urine from walking on that tread mill and the stent is alittle more painful than it has been. Thanks everyone for caring-I really, really appreciate it!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
(female)

candyheart HB User

Went to see uro dr--different dr--same practice. We had a brief discussion to bring him up to date with me. He knew that I had cardio clearance. You are not going to believe what I am about to tell you--he cannot get to me for 3 weeks. I told him that the stent is killing me--I'm having a very difficult time with it, it's causing me pain almost always and when it is time to pee, I see stars--I cannot stand up for any length of time(the stent has been in for 3 weeks already) I told him waiting 3 weeks is unacceptable. I need to get this kidney stone and stent dealt with ASAP -- but he stuck with his original 3 weeks. I go tomorrow for an xray to see where the stone is in the stent. I am not willing to wait for 3 more weeks to have this taken care of. Can you believe this after all these drs have put me thru? I see him again on Wed., and if he doesn't have a change of heart, my decision is made to change uro drs all together. I only hope I can find a dr that can help me sooner!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

That is insane!!!!!!! Why the three week wait? His schedule? Can't your GP suggest another urologist? There has to be someone who can help you sooner. So, so sorry that this has been such a nightmare for you. Good thoughts are with you.

glowing4

Closed Thread