It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

TLValiant HB User
Test Results, need some help interpreting them

First of all I want to say to everyone thank you for your kind words while I have been trying to deal with my kidney stones...I feel like it is such a minor thing compared to what you have all been through but yet you take time to make me feel better and I will never forget that.

Now on to my test results. My new urologist is about one of the best doctors I have been to. She is so sweet and does not mind that I want to ask questions, in fact she gave me a copy of my test results, I did not even have to ask. She said so I could search the web for them when I got home in case I had more questions...lol I was amazed and relieved that she is so accessible.

From 24 hour urine test

Sodium 377mmol/day normal range 40-220 mmol/day
Phosphorus 1.6 g/day normal range .4-1.3 g/day
Uric Acid 1051 mg/day normal range 150-990 mg/day
Cystine (Quant) 163 mmol/day normal range 10-100 mmol/day
Chloride 400 mmol/day normal range 110-250 mmol/day
U Total Protein 156.4 mg/day normal range .0-149.1 mg/day
Creatinine 2.1 g/day normal range .6-1.5 g/day

From Bloodwork

Uric Acid 7.8 normal range 2.4-7.6 mg/dl

Now my urologist advised it is most likely that my stones are formed from uric acid though there may be a bit of calcium because she is able to see them on the film. I guess the thing that bothers me is that there is protein leaking from my kidneys, those were her words to me. When I asked her about that she told me that sometimes this happens and once I get my uric acid levels down that it hopefully will go back to normal. Should I press her more about that? Also, I noticed my creatinine levels were up on my urine test but not my bloodwork. Should I ask about that or not worry until she brings it up.

Acckkk, I know this is a long post and I apologize I just wanted to try and get all my questions out.

Oh, she did schedule a CT scan for me Tuesday to see if I have anymore stones or if they have gotten bigger. I am definitely starting to feel it, especially on my left side. It almost feels like my kidney is bloated if that makes any sense. She also put me on potassium citrate and allopurinol to try and dissolve them. I am really trying not to have surgery if I can help it though if the pain continues that might not be an option. She told me that if at any time I changed my mind she would schedule the surgery right then and there. I am glad I found a doctor that listens.

Thanks again and I apologize for such a long post..arrgghhhh...

Terry

Last edited by TLValiant; 05-17-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: needed to word a part a bit better :)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Test Results, need some help interpreting them

First off, nothing is minor when you are in pain, we understand. SO POST AWAY!

Second off, did the uro mention a special diet to get the sodium and uric acid levels down. You may friend have gout with uric acid levels that high. If you notice a numbness or tingling in the feet that is from the uric acid.

Gout can cause protein to leak. You need to start eating white bread until you can not stand it any further and very little high iron or high protein (purines). The white bread acts like a sponge to absorb the acid.

She put you on alpurenol with most do but how old are you? No means to get personal but alpurenol can problems in pre-menopausal women. Though she may just have you on them to get the stones to break up and not a continual basis. Just ask her about that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

TLValiant HB User

allie,

That did help a lot thanks so much hon..I think the BUN was normal but I can double check when I get home and post those on here. I just posted what was shown to me as being high. I think you are right about the surgery. I am just so scared, I have had 3 surgeries now in the past year and a half (not related to my current problem) and am reluctant to be cut on again. I am noticing the pain more now though so I am guessing I am going to have to suck it up and do it..arrgghhhh...

She did tell me that I would have cut back on my sodium and also my protein intake because of the uric acid. She did not give me any type of specific diet though.

2plus,

I am 35 yrs old and please do not worry about asking personal questions. I do not mind. You say the allopurinol causes problems in pre-menopausal women, what type of problems? Should I call my doctor and ask her about that? I am hoping after I get all this under control and lose some weight so my husband and I can try and get pregnant.

I have never been on a low protein diet. Most of my adult life it has always been stay away from the carbs..I guess I am going to have to start eating more carbs then. I really like the recipes you have been posting. I am going to start using some. They look so yummy I bet even my husband will love to eat them and won't even notice we are eating less protein.

Terry

Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I don't remember exactly what types of problems. I think it was anemia due to the fact that it is absorbing iron while you still continue to bleed (thus releasing more iron) every month. There is no harm in asking, especially if she is open to questions.

I'll have to see if I can find my notes on that or ask my uro next time I am there. You are the second one wo have asked that question.

The recipes are designed so hubby should not feel protein deprived. Ironically my hubby is on a low-carb diet due to endocrine problems, so cooking has become a challenge.

As long as there are no problems with stones, become a fan of homemade lemonade. I hated lemonade but am now an addict. I say homemade because most of the store bought kinds are laden with sweeteners. I cary the types of lemons I use and use about one lemon per litre of water and a pinch or two of sugar to make it drinkable. I also always have the frozen concentrate on hand in my freezer.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Allie,

Hey there, I am doing alright...I had a CT scan on Tuesday to see if the stones had moved since my kidneys have been hurting..The pain has not stopped however so I am thinking by Tuesday I will be calling them back to go ahead and schedule the litho at least for the larger of the stones since it is too big to pass. I did also want to talk to her about the excess protein and creatinine in my urine wondering if I might not have something else wrong with my kidneys. It has worried me a bit since the research I have done shows that one symptom of kidney disease is excess protein and uric acid, etc. I might be worrying for nothing, but I do want to know for sure.

You are in my thoughts Allie, I read all the crap you are going through right now..

Terry

Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Allie,

I am definitely going to keep on them about this. After seeing what you, 2 plus, glowing and all the other wonderful people have had to go through on here I am going to make sure to hound, bother, etc my doctor until all my questions are answered.

You really are a sweetie to be here for everyone, helping, giving encouraging thoughts...You really are an angel, did you know that?

Terry

Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #7
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Allie,

Ok, I made the call to my doctor's office today because I was tired of having to take what was left of my hydrocodone from my wisdom tooth surgery to be able and sleep at night. I spoke to a nurse there who first of all did not seem to eager to assist me at first. In fact she "accidentally" hung up on me...When I called back I got her again. I asked her the results of my CT scan. Well apparently my left stone has grown to 8mm now while the one in my right kidney has stayed the same size of 4mm. She did not see anything about them moving but I know my kidneys hurting is not normal. I told her that I wondered if there was something else wrong with my kidneys since I am hurting all the time and due to the results of my 24 hour urine test since it showed higher protein than normal, etc. She said she would show the doctor the results of the CT scans and my concerns and they would be calling me back. I just know that I am tired of this pain and having to medicate myself in order to sleep.

Terry

Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

STOP! You should not be self medicating without your doctor's OK.

1) If you go gor litho you have to free if of any blood thinning drugs for at least 2 weeks.
2) If the doc sees you are not asking for pain killers then she may not realize you are in that much pain.
3) Some meds will throw off your blood work.
4) Vicodin does lose it's potency over time so using "old" vicodin may not be doing you any favors.

Am I the only one who gets Insomnia from Vicodin? You are the second one I know who says they need Vicodin to sleep.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

When she does call I am going to tell her what I am doing. I did make sure to tell the nurse how much pain I am in. It does not make me sleep since I seem to be very sensitive to pain medicatons. The medication is not old in fact I had my wisdom tooth surgery last month. I do not do well with pain, I don't know why, my whole body seems to shut down and I will get sick to my stomach. I will stop taking them though and wait for the doctor to call. Thanks for the advice hon...

Terry

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
(female)

TLValiant HB User

sighs, the nurse called back yesterday but only because she forgot to ask my date of birth and wanted me to spell my last name again...That is frustrating because she said she would call me right back but never did. Now I am at work am hoping I can get a break in a bit to try and call them again to bug them. I love my doctor but the nurses there leave a lot to be desired sometimes. I am going to keep bugging them because this pain is not going away.....

Ok enough of the venting....lol

I hope everyone has a great day...

Terry

Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

You MUST let the docs know about the service at their front desks. A lot of good doctors lose business due to it and the docs may not see it as they are helping patients. Be diplomatic to here, not complaining, and you may be surprised at the results. If she called to get your DOB and spell your name that means she did not say boo to the doctor yet or doc wanted your records. So much for a speedy response.

Vent anytime, Allie and I both have in past posts. Remember I still have the reception who thinks I can't see the urologist because I am female.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
(female)

TLValiant HB User

hehe, yeah I remember that 2plus...sheesh, I told my husband and he was amazed, he could not believe it either....That still amazes me.

Ok, well I heard from the place I had my CT scan last week, apparently my doctor was not in so they had another doctor, actually the one that was so horrible to me before, schedule me for the same dang CT scan I just had!!!! Obviously the stupid nurse did not show her the results from the one I just had. As soon as I get a break I am calling that office. I will not see that other doctor I do not care if I cannot take the pain. I want either my doctor or another one in the practice. This is starting to become a nightmare because I do not think these pains and swelling are from the stones. I honestly think there is something else wrong with my kidneys..I just want to scream at them "PLEASE LISTEN TO ME!!!" I know when there is something wrong with my body....

Ok, I promise this is the last one of the day.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Come on TL - what kind of Texan are you - put on the cowboy boots, go over there, and kick some ******* ahem.

Don't give up without a fight! And you can tell the other uro that to repeat the same test done 7 days early is a flagrant attempt to rack up fees with the insurance company and if there is no valid reason to re-run the test that is in essence Fraud - Insurance Fraud tips pay substantial money too.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
(female)

TLValiant HB User

You are right 2plus. I need to get those cowboy boots out and dust them off and get up there!! I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt on the scan but if they keep insisting then I am going to say something. That is ridiculous to try and do the same test in such a short time frame. I could understand if they wanted a KUB or something else that could maybe show another view.

Thanks for the pep talk!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

TL

See post on PCOS and stones.

2+

Closed Thread