It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

awilki01 HB User
3mm kidney stone - can it cause pain for several months?

I was just diagnosed with a 3mm kidney stone via a CT scan that was classified as nonobstructive. I've been having flank, abdominal, and back pain in on that side for about 5-6 months now. Can a stone that small stuck in the kidneys cause pain for that long? Its never been intense, but it does ache pretty bad sometimes. Some days are better than others. Most everything I'm reading indicates that a stone in the kidneys doesn't normally cause pain until its being passed.

Everything else in the CT scan of my abdominal area checked out normal.

Thanks in advance......

Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: 3mm kidney stone - can it cause pain for several months?

Allie,

You have been reading my posts too long. You described more a game of Pong then Kidney stones but at you are spot on with your assessment.

A****ki,

I had 2 2mms stones for over a year and was treated for back pain for that year until it was diagnosed. So yes it can go on for months and the stone may hurt even when you are not passing it. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
(male)

awilki01 HB User

Thanks! I need to schedule an appointment with a urologist now. Hopefully, he can break it up or something before I actually start passing it whole. I'm not sure what he'll say about a 3mm stone - hopefully, its big enough for him to be receptive to breaking it up for me. I've heard about the nightmares of pain people can experience with passing one....

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Awilki -

3 MM is usually not big enough for them to go after. It depend on how dense it appears on the x-ray. My co-worker was just telling me his ex-wife had a 10 mm stone and it did not respond to lithotripsy. They even tried that electric hammer thing (as he calls it) and nothing. Next step for her will be to remove it surgically.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

skiing HB User

Hello - I am new to the healthboard and wanted to reach out for some help. After reading 2+ response - "I had 2 2mms stones for over a year and was treated for back pain for that year until it was diagnosed. So yes it can go on for months and the stone may hurt even when you are not passing it. Good luck!" - I had to ask for some help. It is now 1 year and 7 months for me being treated for "back pain". Long story short, I have been to every doctor under the sun and just last week I was told by a medical intuitive to get my kidneys checked. I had an ultrasound done and just got the results yesterday - bilateral kidney stones. One 3mm stone in the right and multiple in the left, the largest one measuring 7mm, all nonobtrusive. My lower right back pain is excruciating and constant and doesn't go away. My question is do you think that the doctors will take into consideration the horrible pain before they say that they will not be able to break it up because it is too small (3mm)? Also, if all of my pain is on the right, why do you think the bigger and multiple stones are on the left? Does the pain of kidney stones transfer from one to the other? I sincerely would appreciate any help! Thank you in advance!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

skiing HB User

Hi Allie - thank you for the response! As this is ALL new to me (I was treated for supposed arthritis and endometriosis in my back, not kidney stones!), I am still trying to figure all the jargon out. I got the news via mail - I have yet to see my GP, but have an appt. on the 18th. Is there a list of questions that one is supposed to ask? I just CANNOT take the pain anymore - I don't know how much more it can intensify. I just don't want to be treated as it is all in my head, which is how it's been for the last year and a half +. Thank you again.

Closed Thread