It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa29 HB User
Getting Ureteroscopy! Litho didn't work! Anyone have this procedure?????

The lithotripsy didn't break up my stone. It is 2CM and the urologist wants to do ureteroscopy this Thursday. I am so scared. I have been having a tough time with this stent in, urinating blood and been in so much pain. Has anyone had this procedure? If so, could you please tell me a little bit about this procedure, and let me know if it took care of your stone. Also how was the recovery? Please any advice and or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, Melissa

Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User
Re: Getting Ureteroscopy! Litho didn't work! Anyone have this procedure?????

I had the ureteroscopy. It was pretty easy. I was asleep, and when I woke up, I was just really nauseaus (which is very normal for me anyways). The worst part of the recovery was the stent. After the stent was taken out I was good. It took care of the stones that were not in the kidneys. The ones in the kidneys are still there. It wasn't until about a week later that things started falling apart with pain again, so it wasn't the ureteroscopy that caused it. The worst part of the recovery was the stent. Good luck!!!
Daisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
I had the ureteroscopy. It was pretty easy. I was asleep, and when I woke up, I was just really nauseaus (which is very normal for me anyways). The worst part of the recovery was the stent. After the stent was taken out I was good. It took care of the stones that were not in the kidneys. The ones in the kidneys are still there. It wasn't until about a week later that things started falling apart with pain again, so it wasn't the ureteroscopy that caused it. The worst part of the recovery was the stent. Good luck!!!
Daisy
Thank You so much Daisy! My stone is in the kidney, the urologist said he was going to laser it. If you don't mind me asking, why do you still have stones in your kidneys? Could they not get them out? I am so worried that this procedure won't work, as the litho did not. I have been in so much pain with this stent, I just want it done and over with. Thank you so much for posting. Melissa

Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why he left the other stones in. He said that anotehr procedure would have been necessary to get out any stones in the kidneys, and that the ureteroscopy was only for stones outside of the kidney. But at this point, I don't so much know about my urologist. You can read about what went on in my threads. I think the one where I actually had the procedure done was called kidney stones, and then the next one was labeled kidney stone update. Anyways, I rally hope that this works for you. I hated having the stent in. I could barely move!!

Last edited by bananarama; 06-12-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why he left the other stones in. He said that anotehr procedure would have been necessary to get out any stones in the kidneys, and that the ureteroscopy was only for stones outside of the kidney. But at this point, I don't so much know about my urologist. You can read about what went on in my threads. I think the one where I actually had the procedure done was called kidney stones, and then the next one was labeled kidney stone update. Anyways, I rally hope that this works for you. I hated having the stent in. I could barely move!!
Hey I noticed you are in New Port Richey! I work in Port Richey! How ironic! I wonder if you are going to the same urologist as I am!!!! lol I go to a urologist in Bayonet Point at Suncoast Urology! I hope you get better soon! I tell ya, I agree with you on the stent, I have had it in for almost 2 weeks now and it is terrible. I don't even like to walk around, it hurts so bad! Keep in touch! Melissa

Old 06-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Hi! My urologist isn't too too far from New Port Richey, it is actually in Hudson/Bayonet Point. Not far from S.R. 52.
He is pretty nice, and is open with me about things!Actually there are 3 urologists at that office. He did say I would need to keep the stent in after the procedure, but hopefully for only 4 or 5 days. I have had it in for almost 2 weeks so far, and I hate it! I will let you know how it goes. Take Care, Melissa

Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
(male)

rpg HB User

What type of stone do you have (calcium, uric acid, ...)? Knowing this might help in your decision.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg View Post
What type of stone do you have (calcium, uric acid, ...)? Knowing this might help in your decision.
I am not sure yet what type of stone I have. I passed a few tiny pieces with the Litho and took them to the Dr. It isn't much but he said it should be enough to test and see what it is made up of. He told me the laser will pretty much break up any type of stone, I am just worried because of the size. He told me it will be a tough job, and will take probably an hour of lasering. I hope recovery isn't too bad! I do hope this takes care of the problem! He told me since I am having so much trouble with having the stent in, there is no way I would be able to handle the perk in my back with the other procedure. Besides, that is more invasive and would rather avoid that if at all possible. I guess time will tell. Thanks for all of the replies, Melissa

Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I really hope that it goes well! Thanks for the info about where the dr is. I may just have to go there. I may not be going to school next semester however, so I don't know. It all depends, as I am on final probation next semester due to having a ton of absences, and if I am not better by then, I might better not go. I am not sure what to do at this point.
Anywho...I really hope that the ureteroscopy works for you. Keep me posted!! I really hope that the stent doesn't stay in to much longer as well. Those are definitely no fun!! Good luck!
Daisy

Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Thanks Daisy! I wish you better as well! Good Luck with School! Keep me updated and I will do the same. Do you mind if I ask your age? I am 29. Just curious if we were close in age. Talk to you soon! Take Care, Melissa

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM   #11
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Thanks Allie! I don't know what I would do without this board! I am reading up on posts and learning as much about kidney stones and procedures as I can. Helps me understand more about what I am going through and about to go through. I am a nervous wreck and the urologist is very aware of this, so I think he doesn't go into detail about things because he doesn't want to scare me more. I personally would rather know what I am in store for. I like to prepare myself, even though I am scared. Thanks again, Melissa

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_2448 View Post
I feel it's better to know what lies ahead of us when we go in for any surgery..

When are you going in? Sorry if I missed that post...I'm in a different world lately.
I was supposed to go in to get the surgery tomorrow, but the surgery center says I have to pay half of the lithotripsy cost from last time and 20% of this procedure! That will be $732.97 and I don't have it! So, evidentally I cannot get the procedure done if I can't pay. I called my urologist office and the nurse is going to talk to the dr and let me know what to do, so we will see. I will die if I don't get out of this pain soon! With all of these bills I know I am about to reach out of pocket, and then my insurance will cover 100%. I understand they need to get paid, but if I don't have that amount right now I guess I am out of luck! Melissa

Old 06-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
(female)

Melissa29 HB User

I was thinking that too, but I am required to pay the 20% up front. My Dr called the billing dept of the surgery center and asked what they can do. They called me back and told me to pay the $200 for the procedure,which is the 20% and then just start making payments on the $1,000 I owe from the Lithotripsy as soon as possible. Luckily my husband gets paid Friday and I can post date a check for the $200. It's just awful being in this much pain and not having alot of money for these high cost procedures.
I have to be at the surgery center at 5:30am. lol I don't do mornings. It's a good thing they put me to sleep for this! I will give an update after the surgery. Thank you for being here for me!!!! Melissa

Old 06-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Alas due to the travesty of healthcare today, pain is not considered medical necessity. Now don't yell at me, I am relaying a fact that I think is COMPLETELY wrong. BUT due to the fact that you have symptoms other then pain (blood in the urine) you can get around that!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I really hope that it works out for you! I completely understand the not having money to pay. In that past, I have had to keep changing doctors because I could not afford my copays, and I have a lot of medical bills to pay. I owe one hospital over 10,000 due to having a surgery, 2 ER visits, and several diagnostic and nuclear medicine tests. That is with the insurance.
Anywho...I am 20 years old. I really hope that your surgery goes well tomorrow!! Hopefully it will be a success, and you won't have stones again. Now that I am strictly following the diet for calcium stones, I am hoping that I won't get anymore after all of these ones are gone. Let me know how everything goes!!
Daisy

Closed Thread