It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Ankle swelling and kidney

Can someone tell me what kidney problems can arise from having one ankle that swells off and on? Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User
Re: Ankle swelling and kidney

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_2448 View Post
Ankle swelling is due to some type of kidney problem whether it be an obstruction from a stone or another type of obstruction blocking the kidney..
Also edema is associated with heart/lung problems.

Are you on a diuretic?
Sometimes I get one ankle that swells more than the other..I notice it's the leg/foot I put more weight on the more it swells..I have nerve damage so I favor one leg more than the other that's the connection I've made...there may be other reasons..I'd be curious to other replies.

No, not on anything. Isn't there something that shows up in a normal blood test if there is something outta whack on the kidney? Would it cause the foot to swell too?

Last edited by Katielyn; 06-14-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Don't forget that other things can cause one ankle to swell. Talk to your doctor.

Cora

Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coravh View Post
Don't forget that other things can cause one ankle to swell. Talk to your doctor.

Like???

Cora

Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_2448 View Post
Ankle swelling is due to some type of kidney problem whether it be an obstruction from a stone or another type of obstruction blocking the kidney..
Also edema is associated with heart/lung problems.

Are you on a diuretic?
Sometimes I get one ankle that swells more than the other..I notice it's the leg/foot I put more weight on the more it swells..I have nerve damage so I favor one leg more than the other that's the connection I've made...there may be other reasons..I'd be curious to other replies.

I have had kidney stones in the past but to my knowledge, I don't have an obstruction and I do have asthma and I have had heart tests done. Do you suppose it could be do to asthma? It's just the one ankle/foot remember. Also, you had mentioned on a post that you have had stents for kidney stones. When you had the stent removed or the stones even, had you ever noticed that after urinating, it really didn't hurt but if you put pressure a little on the tummy, it was tender around the bladder area? I feel that kind of "discomfort" for about 5-10 min. after I urinate, but don't notice it unless I lean up again a counter or something and the feeling is on the same side as my stone was. I was just curious to see if that was normal either after stone removal surgery or from maybe a stent being place in there. I had the stent removed around the 1st of April of this year.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Hi Katielyn.

There are other things that can cause only one ankle to swell. Gout is a good example of this. Excess uric acid, which can be elevated due to meds or other issues, can cause gout. Circulation problems in the leg can also cause only one ankle to swell. Some auto-immune disorders such as arthritis can be selective to only one area or only one side.

Cora

Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coravh View Post
Hi Katielyn.

There are other things that can cause only one ankle to swell. Gout is a good example of this. Excess uric acid, which can be elevated due to meds or other issues, can cause gout. Circulation problems in the leg can also cause only one ankle to swell. Some auto-immune disorders such as arthritis can be selective to only one area or only one side.

Cora
Hi Cora,

I have had dopplers done on both legs and all came out fine. Gout...? Isn't that where you have alot of pain? I don't have pain with this at all. I may have the "tired feet" feeling, but that's about it. SOmetimes, I have had some nerve pain, but that has been around the shin/ankle area only.

You mentioned arthritis...does arthritis make you swell? I don't know, I have never had it. I know it runs in the family though. Arthritis is considered an auto immune disorder? Let me ask this...I had a blood test done and my red blood count was 5.12 with a reference range of 4.20-5.00...would that have anything to do with arthritis? Is that count considered terribly high. I am going to make a post on this question further but wanted to ask since you brought up the arthritis.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Gout tends to be extremely painful or makes the foot or extremely painless. I had gout and it was misdiagnosed as nerve pain for almost 3 years. Gout can be a serious consideration if you have stones. What type of stones were they?

I have asthma and my doc often checking for swelling in my ankles so it can also be that.

Wehn you find out, let us know and good luck.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I see a pulmonologist. I am not sure what the relationship is but I know he checks for it religiously every time he sees me.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

The relationship is that asthma is a form of copd. Any form of copd has the potential to cause pulmonary hypertension. Pulmonary hypertension has a tendency to affect the pumping action in the right side of the heart. When you got problems with the pumping action in the right side of the heart, you can get edema. It's kind of a round about way of doing it but what it eventually comes down to is asthma can cause edema.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by accessn12 View Post
The relationship is that asthma is a form of copd. Any form of copd has the potential to cause pulmonary hypertension. Pulmonary hypertension has a tendency to affect the pumping action in the right side of the heart. When you got problems with the pumping action in the right side of the heart, you can get edema. It's kind of a round about way of doing it but what it eventually comes down to is asthma can cause edema.
Yeah, but would it cause swelling just on one side? Mine is on the left only.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Yes it depends on which foot you usually put more pressure on. Check the bottom of your shoes, is the left one worn more then the right?

Also, do you normally sit with your legs crossed (which you should not it throws off the alignment of the hips) and if so is the left usually on the bottom?

Last edited by duzford; 06-18-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katielyn View Post
Can't tell anything on the bottom of my shoes, but yes, when crossing my legs or feet, the left is on the bottom. I thought that was better to do instead of putting pressure on the leg of having it crossed...no? I have gone to an asthma Dr. and never have they checked my ankles before. So when you say pressure on the affected foot, what does that have to do with asthma really?
By crossing your legs all the time and keeping the left on the bottom you are compromising the oxygen needed to get to your toes. Additionally all the pressure and reduce circulation can help the water pool around the weakest link. Asthma decreases oxygen in your blood - that is why they measure your "sats" with that little ET finger probe.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

You should not cross at all - especially if you have back or nerve (Ahha Allie) problems as it misaligns your spine. Sit up straight with legs together instead and if you must cross, cross only at the ankles.

Closed Thread