It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
is it back pain or kidney pain?

I am suffering with pain again and it's getting worst each day.
I'm not having the symtoms of urinary like I did with the first supposable stone that they couldn't determine if I absolutley had one or not.
they said it might have passed.
they did a ct scan and found that the right kidney has hydronephroisis in it plus right hydrouter. this happened in december. I thought it was the beginning of appendicitis so I went to the er and they found out differently.
Plus they saw a 2 cm size cyst inside that they thought was on my ovary, but i have no ovaries left due to a totaly hysterectomy.
I don't have insurance and couldnt' go for a follow up as told to do by the dr of the ER.
I am getting pain on the right side again and the lower right groin.
My lower back hurts so much that even walking hurts because it moves the hips. there is a spot on the right side of the upper to middle back that used to hurt me months before I even went to the ER. so things were starting to connect symtom wise.
I'm getting nausuea on and off and I get intense sharp pains and I'm very weak during the day and totally wiped out and sleepy. I feeel i could sleep for a month and am groggy driving to work in the mornings.
i thought maybe it was my eye glasses I use for driving that was lulling me to sleep like a baby does in a car. but the symtoms of being weak and tired are really interfering with my job.
I finally found a place at a local hospt. that the governemnt helps run and does sliding scale fees for people who dont' have insurance.
the date is on the 22nd of June.
I've been waiting so long to get this taken care of and don't know if it's the arthritis in my spine causing the pain or is it my kidney acting up again?
I never found out if the hydronephrosis went away or if the cyst did or not either.
does anyone with kidney problems have back pain like I do?
does it hurt on your lower pelvic area where your appendix is?
sorry for the length of this. I'm just in turmoil and want to get answers.
I guess you could say I"m a very impatient person.
I pray that when I go to work today I can handle it. I had to take the day off yesterday and I just started this new job six weeks ago.
my boss told me i looked horrible and that if I wanted to go home on wed. I could. I did half a days work at least.
is this happening to anyone else too?

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: is it back pain or kidney pain?

once again you've come to my rescue allie. thank you.
Maybe I'm freaking out about nothing. because now the pain is not as bad as it was the past few days ago. I had such weird pain and the weakness was unbelivable. it's hard to take deep breaths.
to my dismay I had another thing going on which i"ve had problems with on and off for a few yrs now and that's my bowels.
It's funny you should say blockage, because I have bouts of chronic constipation and have to be very careful I don't mess up skipping a meal or eatting too little because i suffer for days after with being bound up.
I can't eat oat meal or certain foods that are binding.
maybe that was what was causing the pain in the lower groin where the appendix is? I didnt' realize I was as blocked as I was until I took a laxative that night and woke up the next morning to relieve myself.

maybe the compacted stool was sitting on the appendix area or presssing on nerves inside? I dont' know. I'm so tired of guessing.
I should'be be guessing at all really, but when you're told something is wrong with your kidney and you don't follow up with it, you're going to have wonders, right?
the mind can create a host of things in our mind.
the problem with me being so pale looking and my boss and co-workers being so worried about me that they're sending me home when I come in doesn't make me feel much assured that nothing's wrong.
I have a gut feeling there is, but then when I"m feeling alittle better because I rested, I think maybe I"m wrong.
she sent me home again yesterday at 2:30 and I rested in bed when I got home till this morning.
resting makes me feel better. my body feels as if it's in the 90's but I'm only 46.

did you get very pale and weak too and could sleep for days if given the opportunity? did you lose weight too? was it difficult for you to even walk up a hill or the steps and have your legs feel like lead? I am always extremely winded like I can't catch my breathe.

I told the woman on the phone who set up the appnt. that maybe i"ll just go back to the er and she talked me out of it saying it will cost hundreds of dollars rather than going to the clinic on friday. she didn't have anything sooner for me. I told her I felt horrible. she told me she's not a nurse and that she's only a woman who works with insurance there.
they don't have medical secretarys answering the phones there.
weird, but true.
she wasn't that kind or understanding by any means.

she asked me what type of dr I needed to see and I asked her what type I should. that's when she said that's up to me and that she's not a dr.
she was rude.
my choice was seeing a general practioner or a urologist. so I chose the general practioner. this way they can recommend next what to do after I get a total work up.

I'll let you know what happens after friday.
thanks so much for your help allie. you're a kind soul.

Linda

Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi alley,
I finally went to that clinic at the teaching hospital and basically I left not knowing anything.
they use the drs who are in residency to see the patients and then they go over the case with a doctor on staff.

the young dr I saw told me that I can't get an MRI becusue they don't cover it there if I don't have insurance being it's so expensive.
the dr there who specializes in kidney's wasn't there the day I went and I had already made an appt to be seen by a general dr for that day.
I didn't realize I could make an appt. with a kidney specialtist the day I called to make the apptn.

he ordered some blood work to ck for anemia and ordered an xray of my entire spine which I never went to the main hospt. to have peformed because I was already there for hours and just wanted to go home at that point.
it's a clinic so they make you wait your turn even if you have an appnt.

it was horrible there. you should have seen the line of woman there who are pregnant and were waiting to see their doctors.
it reminded me of a meat market.

I will never go back and would rather suffer and wait till my insurance benefits become effective in august or sept.

I waited this long. he told me that the hydro of the kidney and router was probably caused by a stone that had passed.

that's the only thing he said about the kidney. I was seen for other things too while I was there. I also have arthritis in my spine and am suffering with that every day, plus I have some type of cyst growing inside my abdominal cavity. they said if the blood work was abnormal that they'd order an ultra sound and that I'd be responsible for paying for the entire bill and not on a sliding scale fee.

they charged me $63 for the apptn. and in two weeks they want to charge me another $63 for the results. I refuse to go back. who ever heard of having to pay $5 dollars for using their parking lot?
they charge people to park there at the hospital. In my town were I grew up, our hospital has never charged a parking fee.

what is this world coming too? everyone is so darn money hungry.

what about the people who are ill and have no money?

my problem is nothing compared to what others have to go thru and I can't imagine the misery they have to go thru. so I shouldn't be complaining.

time will tell, so I just have to resume waiting again.

that's my update.

how are you doing alley?

Linda

Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Linda,
Sorry that you had so many isues with the clinic. They are being ridiculous. Wish you would have gotten some sort of answer. That really stinks. Did you try going to the health department? th department should see people on a sliding scale, but that might have been where you went.
My back kills me all of the time really, and one of my doctors think it is the kidney stones I have (still in the kidneys), while other doctors say it has nothing to do with that. The pain is in the back, sides, and groin area. I am going to the Mayo Clinic next month to find out what it is.
I hope that you can get some answers soon, and start to feel better. Wish I could offer suggestions, but I don't know any. I am sorry. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that you start to feel much better soon.
Hang in there,
Daisy

Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

well what a nice suprise to hear from my friends here.
thank's Daisy and Allie.

I appreciate your kindness even though you may have no answers for me at this time and Allie, I could NEVER be sorry to see your update no matter how long or what ever the problem.
I really care about others in this world and I see you both do too.

If we can help just one person or one person help us, what a great thing.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident. that must be miserable and I didn't realize that damage to our bones can later cause arthritis.

thank you both for your replies and I wish you well Daisy at your appt with the Mayo clinic. wow, that's a great place i heard.
could you please keep an update with us to let us know what happened?
when are you going?

I'll say a prayer for you sweety.

always,
linda

Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey Linda. I have a thread where I am writing all of my updates if you want to hear all about that. Thank you so much for caring! I appreciate the prayers, and am prayig for you as well. And you keep us updated as well. Hope you are feeling good today. Have a great day tomorrow!!!
Daisy

Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

morning allie and daisy,
I'm feeling better as far as the pain isn't in my groin anymore and i don't feel the pressure type pain in my right back, but I am suffering with fatigue and a feeling of just not feeling well and flu like.

it's really effecting my job and I cant' afford for this to happen with my new job that i actually happen to love. this is the job I"ve been waiting for all my life. to have a job where everyone understands me and has compassion and love for me.
I never know the days I"m going to feel bad. I just wake up with it.
I'm scared that when the time comes that I finallly do get my insurance, they won't find out what's wrong.
I feel it's very real and it's not in my head like a dr once thought before and sent me for a mental evaluation. they even wrote me a letter to give to my doctor or any dr who ever seemed to think it was in my head that it wasn't.
I fired that doctor.

now that it's saturday and i have as much time as I want to be on the computer, I'm going to go and find both of your updates so I can find out what's been going on with you two.

have a great saturday and I'll keep you both update as well.

sincerely,
linda

Old 06-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh my gosh Allie,
I had no idea what you've been going thru and for as long as you have. PLUS i just found out you're having other health problems with your family as well.
I can't find out what's been going on with your son. you said he's of legal age, so I'm assuming he's 18 or 19?
his spleen is enlarged? is it a possiblity he has a form of lymphoma?

I didn't realize the extent of you kidney damage and that you're only good one is now being effected as well. God Allie. you do keep such a positive out look in life. you are such a wonderful woman and I commend you for you the love you have in your life. this is what keeps you so strong.
I'm sure of it.

there are so many reasons you could be bitter and yet you don't give in to it.
I hope the doctors are able to do soemthign for you real soon.
please tell me you're getting as much rest as possible in the meantime and try not to get stressed.
I have NOTHING to complain about in comparison to your problems. I shouldn't even be posting over here in the kidney section being I don't have a positive diagnosis yet. the only thing was back in dec. when they thought i possibly passed a stone and that may have been the reason for the hydro.

you have a reason to post over here in the kidney. I feel like a fool for my whining.
I want so much for them to be able to help you Allie and I truely wish you the best. please let me know the outcome of your son too.

I have some catching up to do on daisy and others updates too.

I'll be back later to reply to Daisy.

I don't even know you both yet feel a strong connection and a care that runs so deep. I wish I could help you.

later,

Linda

Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey Linda! You are such a sweetheart! I just want you to know that your pain is real, and no matter what, you need to talk and let it out as well. I feel connected with you and Allie as well. Being on here is like having a second family. I really hope that as soon as your insurance kicks in, the doctors will be able to figure out what is going on! I am so glad that you have a job that you love! That is important. Hopefully your boss will be understanding, as well as the people you are working with, and they will help you through this. Thank you so much for all of the encouragement you have offered me. Have a great day!!
Daisy

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Happy 4th of July Daisy and Allie,
I hope you both are well, or as well as you can be, right?
did you find out anything about your son Allie?

I just recieved my insurance package at work the other day and have to fill out the forms. The effective date was so sweet to my eyes when i saw it written there on the page, August 1st it becomes effective.
I had no idea the importance of health benefits when i was younger.
I am trying to instill this into my own children now while they're young.
each of them have some health issues and have no insurance like they used to when they were covered by their fathers insurance. they are in no hurry of getting a full time job either to get the necessary benefits.

My 23 yr old daughter will get her biopsy results next week.
she has some form of dysplasia on her pap reading and had to go for a biopsy. I forgot the name of the virus that causes cervical cancer. she has that virus. HPV, that's it.
they now thankfully have the immunization shot but it's too late for her now. My 17 yr old is going to get the shot. unfortunetly, cancer runs rampant on my side of the family. my sisters, brother and father had it. I have no clue of my other family members such as grandmothers and grandfathers.
they were all in Slovakia. I only met one grandmother and she was my mothers mom. she died of some form of gynocological cancer because my mom said she had a tumor inside her pelvic area.

so much for past history. it's a good idea to have knowledge of our family history if possible, but not all can ge fortunate enough to find out this info.

I just wanted to stop in and say hello to you all.

talk to you soon.

Linda

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Sorry to hear your daughter has HPV. What are they going to do for her. It is wise for the 17 year old to get the shot. Had I known what I do now I would have gotten the shot. My doc sends I am too.......dare I say it.....gulp.....old for it. Besides that she SWEARS by it.

My fear is that I had a cousin lose the battle to ovarrian cancer and I also have a second uterus that has never been papped until this year - cause they did not know it existed - long story.

Please note that for the sake of you and your daughters there are links between kidney disease and gynecoligical issues.

Good luck to you all and I will keep you all in my prayers.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

$ 200 a month It is almost cheaper to take your chances - God forbid.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Allie,
PLEASE don't feel you should only post what's going on over on the update section rather than here. just because I started the post here doesn't mean it's just for me. even if that's the way they work it here, I don't like it that way.
I want to know what's going on with you and the family. I"m very concerned and having to be worried that your posting on my post shouldn't even be a concern at this point. I'm always so glad to hear a reply from you wether here, nor there.
so don't feel that way with me, ok?
I will go and ck out the update though.
did the dr call yet regarding your son?

thank you 2plus1 for your prayers. they are truely appreciated. I still don't know my daughters results. she was supposed to call there this week. her partner that she lives with only has a cell phone and not a regular phone. he needs to take it to work with him everyday and her excuse to not to call is that he takes the phone. I'm sure she's scared to find out the answer. I would call for her, but by law here, I'm not allowed. they will not disclose info to anyone other than her. I told her to come and sleep over here one night and then make the call in the morning when they open.
Nothing goes easy with this child. she makes everything so complicated.
what seems to be so simple for any of us to do is so hard for her.
she doesnt' drive, she has a dx of "borderline personality" disorder, is an alcoholic at the young age of 23, thank god she stopped doing drugs, which I never thought she would the way she was going, and she doesnt' work because of her anxiety.
so life for her is very very difficult. I feel so sorry for her and I can't do a darn thing for her unless she's willing to change her life and she has to reach the point where she's ready to do that.

I can't believe that it's turned into a problem to get an answer of the biopsy.
that's when I feel like throwing up my hands and saying, "I give up"! in trying to help her with anything. she has to realize there are things she has to do in life and not have me or anyone else do it for her.

sorry to go off on a tangant here. I guess it's upsetting me more than I realize. It's building up.

oh, 2plus1, I wanted to ask you about your dx of having 2 uterus's and they didnt' even know it till recently? you are a very special woman.
how cool is that? that's very very rare. I've heard of split uterus's. is that what it is?
I saw it on a program once. the story was of a woman who had a difficult time conceiving and that's when they said she had a split uterus.
that's the only case I've ever heard of.
you are the second. I am anxious to hear your story if you want to share it.

what age is the cut off line for getting the hpv shot?

Linda

Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

The HPV can be given up to 35. They thought I had a split uterus - which is somewhat common in the infertility world. They can actually unsplit them. This is what I was diagnosed with and when they did the surgery I woke up feeling great - then I saw the look on doc's face. The surgery was not done! When they went in to find the division they found 2 separte uteruses each functioning on it's own. The hospital I was it - although it was a major one had never seen it before nor had my doctor or anyone in the OR. The co-surgeon had read about it but never seen it. It is ironic - all my conditions (the retrocaval ureter, didelphysness (2 uteri), Catleman's disease, reanl fusion w/ shared blood supply) are common in 3rd world countires where inbreeding is common. As far as I know there was no inbreeding in my family but I beat the odds anyway!

Thanks to the wonderful world of HIPA you can not get info on your daughter's help except there is a loop hole. (You will need to contact a lawyer). If she has borderline personality disorder you can have a judge grant you a right of medical decision stating that she is not "adult" enough to decide on her own what she should do. She may be just scared - don't blame her myself - but if you appeal to the judge and state that time is of the essence so they can start treatment you may have hope.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

very interesting about your diagnosis. I'm sure the drs found your case to be absolutley thrilling, especially since they've never seen this in any of their patients. heard of, but not seen.
you have alot of things going on at the same time. did it take you years to find this out? or did they find it all close together?
I find it difficult to find a dr who is willing to do the research and to do top of the line check ups, meaning specific blood, very presise work ups and I don't find this anywhere. I always had this image that when going to a dr when they can't find anything wrong would refer the patient to a speicaltist who would do a fanstatic work up. after all, that's what we're paying for, isnt' it?
I find that most drs only spend a few minutes with me and only look at commonly performed lab work and ask me only a few questions and then shove me out the door. it's so frustrating.
did you ask the dr's specific questions? or you one of the lucky ones who happened to find a doctor that doesnt just care about fitting a patient in to their every 20 minutes slot?
the drs' I worked for would get angry if we didn't book a patient every 20 min. and new patients were given longer.
god forbid if there was a gap inbetween where they could actually rest.

I sound bitter because I've experienced this. it's tiring and frustrating. who on earth has the time when you have to work a full time job and where you can't miss anymore work because of being sick?
I'm tired of wasting my precious time with incompetent, money greedy doctors who dont' care about the oath they took when they graduated from medical school.

so how long did it take you 2plus1 to get your diagnosis's?

Linda

Closed Thread