It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

jameswest HB User
Question Chronic Sharp Left Side Pelvic/Groin Pain

I am a 45 year old male, and over the weekend, I started to experience brief, but sharp pains (like a knife) on the left side of my pelvic/groin region. They lasted only a second or two and would occur about once an hour for the first day. Over the past two days, the frequency has dropped off, but they still hit me once or twice a day.

My guess is some sort of kidney stone moving down my lower uterer, but I have had no back or flank pain, and my urine appears normal.

Any other ideas as to what this may be?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
(male)

jameswest HB User
Re: Chronic Sharp Left Side Pelvic/Groin Pain

Not much pain since the weekend, and I haven't passed anything that I know of, though I have been drinking more water than normal. I do have a history of unexplained hematuria (have done the IVP and scopes twice a piece over the years). I just don't know of anything else in that area (in a male) that could be the cause of that sharp a pain other than a ureter (or perhaps a pinched nerve).

Does the stone only cause pain when it's moving in the ureter? And how long does it normally take to pass a stone once it begins to travel down the ureter?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Chronic Sharp Left Side Pelvic/Groin Pain

james,
I think it differ's in the time it takes to travel down the tube and sometimes they get stuck which causes it to obstruct and therefore causes the kidney to back up and cause hydronephrosis.

pain in the lower left groin can be associated with the descending colon too.
I'm pretty sure, so don't quote me exactly.

it's hard to distinguish the exact location of pain in our abdomens and what may feel like pain in one arrea could be radiating from another.

did you say you had contact with your dr. for a follow up with the pain you're having?

I would if it continues to hurt you. pain is a sign something is wrong.
that's our body's way of being able to warn us.

I wish you the best.

Linda

Closed Thread