It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Calcification in the Ureter?

I just finally heard back from the Dr. about the results of my CT scan. It showed "calcification of the ureter", whatever that means. Does that mean a kidney stone in my ureter?

My Dr. wants to do an IVP. I askeed the nurse what this was & she explained it to me. Why would they want to do that? What would it show that the CT scan didn't show? They said I could wait if I wanted or have the IVP done. Why would I wait? It's been weeks already & I am in a lot of pain. I asked for more pain meds & they are supposed to call back then I want to ask what the IVP would show that the CT scan didn't show & if calcification in the ureter means a stone.... I will let you know when I know more!

I would love any info anyone may have on this. I am hoping this will clear up soon... Should I be straining my pee?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Cool Re: Calcification in the Ureter?

Hi. I just looked on a June report from a radiologist who looked at my KUB. It said, "multiple bilateral calcifications that project over the renal shadow largest 9mm left kidney lower pole". So, my stones are referred to as calcifications and I'm guessing that you have a stone in your ureter. But, I'm not a Dr. so you should ask your Dr. for clarificaton. Did you hear back from the Drs. office yet? I haven't had an IVP in years. My Dr. only has me get a KUB, which is just an abdominal xray that shows the kidneys, ureters and bladder. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Calcification in the Ureter?

The IVP is a fancy way of saying CT scan with contrast - which is what we thought the original scan was. The diagnosis does sound like a stone in the ureter but with the IVP they can see where it actually is. It is possible to have calcification in the renal vien (ergo blood) instead of in the ureter the IVP will help make that differential diagnosis.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukleberrie View Post
You are kidding me!! I thought this was a different test. I think my husband is going to be so mad! We knew I should have had the contrast to begin with. Why can't they tell size or anything with the CT scan I had? What did I pay all that money for? I thought they would be able to tell if I could pass it or not.... Why did he wonder if I wanted to wait? Should I just wait to see if I pass it?

I asked the nurse if I should strain my pee & she said if the doctor didn't tell me to then I don't have to. She said that I will know if I pass something.

I had the cramps really bad again last night & I woke up in so much pain this morning. I am nauseous again but don't want to let my husband know how bad I feel. At what point should I worry about this pain? I don't have a fever but I have a pain that hurts all the way through me and these cramps that are so bad, down into my nether regions. Do I just wait this out & hope it passes? I just need to know if it's something I can pass or if there is something else that needs to be done to help it pass. This is the worst I have been & I am afraid it is going to be even worse....
It depends on the size.i have one im my ureter now 0.7 cm.it doesnt hurt much and im waiting now to see if i can have lipotripsy done since i have heart irggs and fast beats sometimes.i would stain it might come out in small pcs.you dont have to worry about the pain just take something.most people lead up in the er.but if you had a baby you can pass this also.lol
however my smallers one only cramped me and had sometimes very bad pain.when its moving it feels like labor comes and goes .

Old 07-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Yeah, I had both my children without pain medication or an epideral. So I am sure I can handle it. The only thing is that it is taking so long. I can handle the pain for a while, but it is really wearing on me. is really painful right now & it feels like it's coming out my back, under my ribs. But my ureter is down farther, so I don't know why it would hurt so bad right there. I have a hard time leaning back in a chair or laying down. I just wish it would come out. I know it hurts to really bad when it comes out, but this is just too much pain for too long of a time for me to handle with grace....

Old 07-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Yeah, I had both my children without pain medication or an epideral. So I am sure I can handle it. The only thing is that it is taking so long. I can handle the pain for a while, but it is really wearing on me. is really painful right now & it feels like it's coming out my back, under my ribs. But my ureter is down farther, so I don't know why it would hurt so bad right there. I have a hard time leaning back in a chair or laying down. I just wish it would come out. I know it hurts to really bad when it comes out, but this is just too much pain for too long of a time for me to handle with grace....
I think the ureter run along near the spine.so you would feel like your having really bad back spasms.i did once anywhy.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopesprings2 View Post
I think the ureter run along near the spine.so you would feel like your having really bad back spasms.i did once anywhy.
where did they say the stone is located? and how big? you might need to go to the hospital.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
where did they say the stone is located? and how big? you might need to go to the hospital.
They said the ct scan results were Calicification in the Ureter. That's all they said. No size. They didn't say where in the ureter. That's all I know.

It is really painful, the worst is when it feels like it is going right through my ribs, above my waist, on the left side. My lower back & pelvis hurts, too, but as long as it's not cramping up (which it doesn't do all the time), I can tolerate that. I just wish the vicodin would take all the pain away. And when it starts to wear off, I just feel like something is coming through my ribs in my back. Am I just being a sissy or is this something of concern? I don't have a fever. I have had a bit of nausea off & on & I feel really bloated. It burns when I pee, but only sometimes when not much comes out. Then other times I go just fine. Besides those & being exhausted for no reason (I even had a nap today) & the pain, I don't think I am having any other symptoms. Except for earlier, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my pulse has been pretty high constantly & earlier I felt really flushed & my heart was pounding really heard. I was out getting my pain meds so I blew it off as just being wore out.

I don't want to seem like I keep running to the doctor & urgent care when there is no need... Maybe I just need to tolerate this pain & hope it comes out eventually? Or is this something I should call urgent care about?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Calcification in the Ureter?

If the pain is that bad, I'd go to the ER. You shouldn't have to suffer endlessly like that. Kidney stone pain is the worst kind of pain I've ever had. If and when mine gets bad before I have the Lithotripsy, I'm heading to the ER.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
They said the ct scan results were Calicification in the Ureter. That's all they said. No size. They didn't say where in the ureter. That's all I know.

It is really painful, the worst is when it feels like it is going right through my ribs, above my waist, on the left side. My lower back & pelvis hurts, too, but as long as it's not cramping up (which it doesn't do all the time), I can tolerate that. I just wish the vicodin would take all the pain away. And when it starts to wear off, I just feel like something is coming through my ribs in my back. Am I just being a sissy or is this something of concern? I don't have a fever. I have had a bit of nausea off & on & I feel really bloated. It burns when I pee, but only sometimes when not much comes out. Then other times I go just fine. Besides those & being exhausted for no reason (I even had a nap today) & the pain, I don't think I am having any other symptoms. Except for earlier, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my pulse has been pretty high constantly & earlier I felt really flushed & my heart was pounding really heard. I was out getting my pain meds so I blew it off as just being wore out.

I don't want to seem like I keep running to the doctor & urgent care when there is no need... Maybe I just need to tolerate this pain & hope it comes out eventually? Or is this something I should call urgent care about?
i think you should have it checked out pretty quick if your hearts pounding.do you have a temp?the viodin might of made you tired.if you run a temp go to the doctor or er .

Old 07-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
If the pain is that bad, I'd go to the ER. You shouldn't have to suffer endlessly like that. Kidney stone pain is the worst kind of pain I've ever had. If and when mine gets bad before I have the Lithotripsy, I'm heading to the ER.
is this your first time for lipo?
im getting ready for my first time and im a little nervous.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wink Re: Calcification in the Ureter?

No, I've had them before. The previous one was about 2 years ago. It's not really that bad and will be over before we know it. I wish I could have had it sooner so I wouldn't have so much time to think about it. Good luck with yours!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
No, I've had them before. The previous one was about 2 years ago. It's not really that bad and will be over before we know it. I wish I could have had it sooner so I wouldn't have so much time to think about it. Good luck with yours!!!!!!
how long did you have stone before you had the lipo? do you know why they have to put us to sleep and why they use those ecg or ekg to time the hit or shock i guess it what it is called.im very nerous over thinking it going to shock me.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
i think you should have it checked out pretty quick if your hearts pounding.do you have a temp?the viodin might of made you tired.if you run a temp go to the doctor or er .
What is the deal with the heart pounding? Why is that an issue? I have had that problem for a while.... I am not running a fever. So I don't think my kidney infection has came back. I hate to keep bugging the doctors...

Old 07-22-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
What is the deal with the heart pounding? Why is that an issue? I have had that problem for a while.... I am not running a fever. So I don't think my kidney infection has came back. I hate to keep bugging the doctors...
if it doesnt bother you that your heart is pounding then it is up to you what you should do.im glad your infection has not came back.good luck

Closed Thread