It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Blood in Urine, no nitrites

What does it mean to have blood in the urine, but no UTI? Is it harmless? I thought I had another UTI because it was burning but not all the time. I went & bought those test strips at the pharmacy, and it came up positive for WBC but negative for Nitrites. I know they kept saying I was having blood in my urine every time I went to the doc when they thought I had stones, but now that stones are ruled out & the IVP came back normal, what does this mean? Should I be worried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Blood in Urine, no nitrites

maybe there is a slight infection.kinda odd sounding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I know. I looked it up onlibne & it is called pyuria. My med book says it's usually an indication of infection and inflammation in the kidney or urinary tract. In some cases, pyuria occurs when no microganisms are present and may indicate inflammation of the kidney due to another cause (e.g., interstitial nephritis).

I guess I had better call the doc in the morning. Ugh.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
(female)

nono HB User

I also have blood in the urine with no nitrates (red blood cells and white blood cells). I am scheduled for an ultrasound in a few weeks. The tests also said that my eGFR was 89. So according to the internet, blood and protein in the urine along with an eGFR of 89 is stage 2 chronic kidney disease. However, since I am not a doctor, I will wait and see what my internist says.

Last edited by nono; 08-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Waiting for your doctor to explain the test result is a good idea!

eGFR is an estimated glomerular filtration rate. That means the result is based on a calculation. You had a blood test done to aid in this calculation. They are used more and more often, because they are easier and faster to do than the GFR tests.

Normal eGFR is >90ml/min/1.73 m Abnormal eGFR<90. If the figures are correct, your estimate of 89 would be just one point below normal. Not too worrisome! If there is a reason for concern, better and more accurate tests will be done. One thing to remember - there may be a slight variation in reference values in different labs.

With GFR testing, the values change somewhat:
Normal...100mls/minute which translates to 150 liters per day (most is absorbed back into the body)

You might have mistakenly used the GFR values in your assessment, not the eGFR.

Flowergirl

Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I went to the doc today & she did my urine & said I still had leukocytes (WBCs) in my urine along with protein so she sent it to the lab for more tests. Hopefully they will figure this all out!

I had went to urgent care on Thursday when I had a fever & WBCs but no nitrities & the doc then said it was no big deal if you had WBCs but no nitrites. My PCP I think felt differently. Maybe it was the protein in my urine, too? What does protein in the urine mean?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Huckleberrie,

Quote:
What does protein in the urine mean?
I am glad to hear you are having more tests done.
Little or no protein in the urine with some blood suggests a cyst (many people have those). High protein and blood in urine suggest involvement of filtering membranes. Blood and no protein are suggestive of kidney stones.

This is how it works: each kidney has thousands of filtering units.Too much protein in the urine indicates that the filters are leaking. It could be due to high blood pressure, which forces the protein through these filters.
Normal urine should contain almost no protein. When protein leaks into the urine, it makes it frothy. Protein leaks can resolve on their own, or be successfully treated with medication. One such medication is an ACE Inhibitor, which is also used for blood pressure control. Another blood pressure medication that's used to reduce protein in urine and protect the kidneys is an ARB. I had protein leaks and they resolved over a period of six months. On my last lab report, my protein was negative. I am on a high dose of an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure and kidneys. (I am on other rx meds as well). I hope this helps.

PS Protein leakage is sometimes caused by inflammation (infection).

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-06-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Adding ps

Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi Huckleberrie,
I am glad to hear you are having more tests done.
Little or no protein in the urine with some blood suggests a cyst (many people have those). High protein and blood in urine suggest involvement of filtering membranes. Blood and no protein are suggestive of kidney stones.

This is how it works: each kidney has thousands of filtering units.Too much protein in the urine indicates that the filters are leaking. It could be due to high blood pressure, which forces the protein through these filters.
Normal urine should contain almost no protein. When protein leaks into the urine, it makes it frothy. Protein leaks can resolve on their own, or be successfully treated with medication. One such medication is an ACE Inhibitor, which is also used for blood pressure control. Another blood pressure medication that's used to reduce protein in urine and protect the kidneys is an ARB. I had protein leaks and they resolved over a period of six months. On my last lab report, my protein was negative. I am on a high dose of an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure and kidneys. (I am on other rx meds as well). I hope this helps.

PS Protein leakage is sometimes caused by inflammation (infection).

Flowergirl
Well, the doctor said this when I was there on Monday & said they were going to send out my urine for more testing. I just got a call from the nurse who said that my lab work came back fine. So did I have WBCs or Protein or not?!? It's all so confusing...

Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Call the nurse back and ask for a copy of your labs.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Why? I hate to keep bugging them. They keep telling me everything is fine. The thyroid was fine. No WBCs or RBCs in urine, although that's why they sent it out. I don't understand that. Rib & chest X-rays are fine. What would the lab results tell me?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

It's always good to get and keep a copy if you decide to go elsewhere for an opinion and it will tell you what "normal means". Like Helen mentioned they look at the labs this time but they are not looking at the trends. By getiing a copy everytime you can see if you have any trends and that may gave you a clue as to the real story.

Closed Thread