It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Mom's Kidney surgery - gift basket ideas?

She is 53 and having a kidney removed. She is very healthy, just found out her kidney was not functioning for many many years after a problem with her hystarectomy 17 years ago (unknown until now). Anyway, I would like to bring her a gift basket with goodies and such. I already bought her a robe and nightgown for the hospital. She will be in the hospital 3-5 days and will be recovering at home for about 6 weeks. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Heather

Old 08-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Mom's Kidney surgery - gift basket ideas?

Magazines, puzzle books, regular books by her favorite authors, craft books - anything she can do that involves realization but will take her mind off recovery.

She may be put on a restricted diet so I would avoid food stuff.

How is she doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Thanks. I was wondering that about food too. My step dad isn't great at shopping and she wont be able to for a while, so I was hoping to get her some things she likes. Anyone know what types of foods she wouldnt be able to eat once at home?? Her other kidney is working great (has been taking over for the other for 17 years with NO problems what so ever).

She is doing ok. Nervous. So am I. Cannot wait until it is all over. It is on Wednesday and I will be in the hospital all day until she is out and in her room.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

They may restrict potassium and protein. Your best bet would be to talk to the docs after the surgery and ask about the food restrctions. You can then stuff her fridge while she is away. If you want to get her anything now get some stuff that your Step-Dad can make and enjoy for himself. If he is not good at preparing at all there is a company called Home Bistro that send pre-cooked gourmet meals to the door. They do take into account dietary restrictions such as Atkins and low sodium but they do not do anything specific for kidney patients. We will be keeping our fingers crossed and her hands together in prayer for a quick and easy surgery for Mom on Wednesday.

Actually you may want to get her a basket of (believe it or not) flavored waters. They will probably have her drinking a lot when she gets home and regular water is just so boring after a while. Be careful though because most of the flavored waters are sparkling so some people do not like them. Be careful to of the Vitamin Waters or Life waters as they have added minerals which may be part of her restrictions.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Thank you very much!! My step dad should do fine on his own. They are still young and healthy - riding the Harley on the weekends, going to concerts, etc...they are more active than I am!! When mom gets home I will be out there a lot helping out, so I can always go shopping and get what she wants. In the meantime, I think I will get some DVDs, books, puzzles and waters like you suggested

Thanks a lot!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Good luck tomorrow and when you get a chance (no rush) post so we know how she made out.

Closed Thread