It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Passing "Sand" Crystals?

I just got back from my osteo (for a neck/back pain issuee) & he was asking me about my pain & I told him my worst pain is under my left back ribs. He cracked me but proceeded to tell me the pain is right where my kidney is located. I have been dealing with pain that they thought was caused by stones, but I had an IVP which didn't find anything. I still have not received the results of my pelvic ultrasound. He asked if I was still having the pain/burning when I pee, & I do. He said my last labs showed "sand" in my urine. He said calcium oxalate & something else. He said they are crystals that generally form stones, and that may be the cause of my burning & urinary problems. The nurse never told me about that when she told me about my lab results (different doctor). She just said nothing alarming... Ugh. What does this mean & how do I fix it?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Re: Passing "Sand" Crystals?

He also said I have hemoglobin but no WBC or RBC in my urine. Something like 1+... I don't know what this all means & I am trying to remember from the appointment. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well, I just heard back from my doctor about the resultss of the ultrasound. They aren't telling me the actual results, but want me to see the doctor. I am very nervous about why they won't tell me the results... How bad could it be where they wouldn't tell me over the phone? I am really nervous....

Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Huckleberrie,

based on my past experience, I can tell you that we, the patients, always tend to think the worst. That is rarely the case. Mind can do strange things to us. You have to believe that maybe, just maybe, they finally have some idea what could be causing your problems. Wouldn't you like to know? Once that is established, the condition can be treated and your health will improve.
P.S. I'd do almost anything to help in diagnosing mine, so that it can be treated before the situation gets out of hand.

Flowergirl

Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

You are totally right. Part of me just was assuming nothing at all was wrong & I was just getting older or something... I have always been really healthy & I am scared of what it could be. I know I shouldn't worry... It's just so many "minor" health issues in my family lately have turned to cancer diagnosis' & that scares me a bit. I'm sure it's just fibroids or cysts or something minor like that.... I will post when after my appointment.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

When is your appointment, we will keep our wings crossed for you.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Hey huckleberry! Hope that everything turns out ok.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

My appointment is Thursday at 2:15. I am a bit nervous, but I am sure it's nothing serious....

Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Post when you get a chance. We will keep our eyes on the boards for your update.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Well! I had my appointment today. Still don't know crap. Ugh. They found a 2.5 CM cyst on my left ovary, but she said that would not cause my rib/flank pain, micro. hematuria, weight loss, etc. She said they normally pop or go away on their own so they will just watch it & have another ultrasound in 3 months. But because of the other symptoms, she is having me do a pelvic & abdominal CT scan with contrast & without. She gave me a new script for Norco (7.5/325) since I am taking so much of the vicodin (5/500) & all that tylenol with it is bad for your liver. She wants a bone scan because she said I could have a stress fracture & that wouldn't show up on the x-ray. She doesn't think the flank pain is my kidney because you barely touch it or lean back on it & it hurts. But it doesn't hurt when I take a deep breath. She said you really have to pound on your back to get the kidney to hurt. She felt my abdomen & said the spleen doesn't feel enlarged but it is in that area that is tender, I guess, or something like that. Still blood in the urine, she said the last test either the dip was a false positive or the person on the microscope just didn't see the tiny cells. So she sent it to the lab. She also was testing my urine for cancer, I can't remember what that test was called... I was there for about an hour. I really thought I would have this all figured out today, but no luck. I barely got out of the pharmacy after the appointment & I got a call on my cell from the doctor's office telling me of my CT scan tomorrow! I guess they wanted it done right away. The bone scan will be done next week. She said if nothing shows up they will want an MRI. But I have spent so much $ since I don't have insurance that I don't know if I will do an MRI. The CT scan should prove to my parents that I don't have cancer, and then they will feel better. From what I understand the MRI will show soft tissues & swelling & muscle issues. If that's what my problem is, I will just let whatever heal & deal with the pain, so I won't spend the $ on a MRI.

I'm trying to think of what else.... Hmmm... No leukemia. No Diabetes. No anemia. Thyroid was fine. X-rays were fine. So, I am still trying to figure it all out...

Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Huckleberrie,

I am sorry to hear you are still in the dark about what's causing your symptoms. On the positive side, your doctor sounds very thorough and you are very lucky to have someone like her looking out for you. I know, it comes with a cost. I am sorry you don't have medical insurance. I feel that some doctors simply don't look hard enough. They run the mandatory tests, and if nothing shows up, they give up. It is easier to deal with and treat the symptoms than to look for their cause. Your doctor is not like that and really wants to help you. I wish you luck on your upcoming test and hope that you will keep us posted.

Flowergirl

Old 08-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

Sorry you don't have answers yet! But, your doctor does seem really thorough, which is good. We all need doctors like that. Good luck with the CT scan and all of that. Hope they find the answers!!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I hope they figure it out, too. They had a ASAP STAT on this so hopefully soon I will hear. My bone scan is for next Friday (31st). I have to go back Monday because I had checked out my films & had them in my car but my Mom drove & I forgot to turn them back in & the doc will want to see it to compare to the new CT scan. So I have to drive all the way back. But at least I will know if anything is wrong & I can assure my parents & husband that I DON'T have cancer. So I guess, if it takes $1400 to assure them, then that's what I'll do. I am wondering if it isn't a rib thing or something like she said it could possibly be... But the RBC & WBC again in the urine & the weight loss... who knows. I will post when I know, though.
P.S. That contrast crap you have to drink the night before is so nasty! I hope I never have to have that test done again!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I was at my CT scan today & I saw the order. They had it ASAP/STAT & there was some other info on it. I was trying to remember these numbers in my head, so I hope I got it right. I didn't even know they did this test, but my Bun/Creatinine was 9.0/.5 (or 1.5, but I think it was .5). I don't know what these numbers mean, but I am sure they are within normal range since they didn't say anything about it.

I have also noticed these tiny pin-point sized red dots on my skin on my arms & legs & chest. They look like little blood blisters but aren't raised. Any ideas what this is? Should I mention it to my doctor?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Huckleberrie,

Quote:
I have also noticed these tiny pin-point sized red dots on my skin on my arms & legs & chest. They look like little blood blisters but aren't raised. Any ideas what this is? Should I mention it to my doctor?
I have those all over my torso (a lot), on my arms (a little), and a few under my hair on the scalp. When I first started noticing them a few years ago, I thought the worst, of course. I showed them to my doctor who assured me they were perfectly normal. I still don't know what they are called. Some get bigger, some stay the same. They will always be red. The color does not change. There's going to be more than what you have now. When I first got them, they seemed to have appeared overnight. Signs of aging, was the doctors' comment.

I think you should mention them to your doctor, but am quite positive they are not cancer. That's what I thought mine were.

The BUN/creatinine ratio is a measure of your kidney function and not always accurate. In some instances, the bun (blood urea nitrogen) can be perfectly normal even with a 50% loss of kidney function. I don't remember the normal values and would have to look them up to see if yours is within the normal range.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-24-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Closed Thread