It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

JenBer HB User
Kidney mass - infection?

My husband had an ultrasound done on his liver and kidneys due to abnormal bloodwork. They found a mass on his right kidney, stating it might be an infection, but recommended a ct scan. They are also going to scan his neck due to an enlarged lymph node found during his physical. He is having sinus problems and has had the feeling of a golf ball in his throat. As far as the kidney, he had an orange tint to his urine, thought to be due from liver problems, and has terrible pain in his back when he moves a certain way, but no pain when urinating. Does this sound like an infection? Can the kidney cause lymph nodes in the neck to enlarge? Any answers would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Kidney mass - infection?

An infection can cause enlarged lymph nodes and the pain he is feeling. Hopefully that all it is. I will keep my fingers crossed and let us know when you hear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

A mass could also indicate a cyst. Some can be considerable in size, yet harmless. A lot of people have them and don't know it. They are usually found when screening for other things. That would not account for his other symptoms. The enlarged lymph nodes and a possible infection could be unrelated to the irregularity seen on the kidney. Is it possible he could have two things going on?

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-29-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

infection can do that.but it sounds like something pretty seroius.make sure they do a biopsy

Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Sorry hope -

DO NOT go for a biopsy. They tend to do a needle biopsy and if lymph tissue is involved someone even the most careful doc can cause the tiniest aspiration and cause lymphatic fluid to leak into the body - that would spread the infection.

If there is a tumor/mass they need to remove it anyway and a biopsy OUTSIDE the body is a lot safer - even if slightly more invasive then a needle biopsy. If the biopsy if positive for malignancies they would have to remove it anyway and malignancys have a greater tendency to "leak" when aspirated.

I hate to sound like an alarmist but a well intentioned doc sent me for a needle biopsy and my surgeon heard about it before it happened and stopped me. Due to the results of the biopsy I would have been needlessly given massive doses of chemo I did not need.

Last edited by duzford; 08-30-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

2plus,

Quote:
biopsy OUTSIDE the body is a lot safer
I am wondering if what you had was the one I asked about in a post a few days ago - the open biopsy. What did you mean by the OUTSIDE biopsy
and how was it for you?

Anyway, I am sure the doctors will take appropriate action as they deal with these issues every day and are very knowledgable and experienced. They are not likely to listen to us, the patients, telling THEM which tests to give us or not and how to proceed with our care.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-30-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

What they did with me was they actually removed the mass and biopsied after it had been removed from the body. Many times they insert a needle or a blade through a miscroscopic incision and take a piece of the tumor out. They can also biopsy an organ but that is not done by removing the organ first it is done my taking the cells of the organ out and looking for "non organ" cells in its fluid. So for example if they see no mass but suspect an infection of the lungs they may take some lung fluid and look at it under a scope. It is the same concept as amniocentisis which I should butchered the spelling of. With a tumor/mass they know the organism is not needed so it is OK to remove it first. I will look for your other post. I have been on and off this sight lately as I am busy watching the hot construction workers in the August heat, sweltering, dusty and dirty..............sorry I digress - maybe one of the reasons I have left time to pay full attention to this sight.

Closed Thread