It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Surgery - had to cancel my cruise

I posted here earlier this week about having a kidney stone and possible needing a stent put in.

Well I had the surgery Wednesday and got home yesterday. There was A LOT of damage done by this kidney stone.... there was too much swelling and scar tissue in the ureter so the surgeon couldn't even get very far into the ureter. He put in a stent that will have to be in for at least 2 weeks but he said more likely will be in for a month. The stent will help my kidney and ureter heal from damage done by this stupid stone. It did so much damage b/c it was stuck in the same place for too long... the kidney was swollen and it just ripped apart my ureter so much so that scar tissue was already forming. I can't really feel the stent but there are side effects from it and one of them is feeling like you have to pee a lot so that sucks.

I was supposed to go on an 8-day Caribbean cruise today and I had to cancel it. The doctor was VERY firm with the whole "no travel" thing. I'm not really sure what I can't travel... from what I've read people just go about their normal lives after having a stent put in, so I think maybe he's just covering his *** if something were to happen while I'm out of the country. I'm really bummed about this.... this trip was my own personal reward for making it through the past few years. I've struggled with severe anorexia and depression and have spent about 2 years out of the last 5 years at residential treatment facilities. I'm finally in recovery and doing very well and I was going to celebrate. I know that I can reschedule and that it's good that this didn't happen while I was on the ship, but still, it sucks. I think for today I'm just going to wallow in disappointment.

To people who have had stents.... does this feeling of constantly having to pee go away or is it basically around the whole time the stent is in?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
(female)

PT6 HB User
Re: Surgery - had to cancel my cruise

Fortuitous post! I have 2 stents in and am constantly in the bathoom! I also seem to be producing large amoounts of urine. I also have diabetes insipidus secondary to a pituitary tumor which impairs the ability to concentrate urine. I though something might be happening on the pituitary front but maybe it is the stents. I have an appointment with the urologist on Monday and I am hoping they are going to remove the stents (seems like this might hurt).

Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Re: Surgery - had to cancel my cruise

I'm sorry that you're experiencing the same thing with having to urinate all the time! And yeah, I'm not looking forward to having this stent removed at all. The doctor said that he usually does it in his office because it's such a quick thing. He said that it take about 12 seconds and there is definitely pain but that it's not worth getting full anesthesia for just a 12 second procedure. I don't know about that one but I guess that's the way it is. I'm seeing the urologist in 2 week and I'm hoping that he'll remove the stent at that point.

Why did you have your stents put in? Do you still have blood in your urine?

Closed Thread