It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

bkaye07 HB User
Renal Atrophy and Scarring???

Hi, I have had Crohn's disease for 27 years and kidney stones are a complication sometimes of that disease. I also have iron deficient anemia and I am taking iron infusions for it now. Anyway, last year it was discovered via a CT scan that I had four kidney stones (3 in left and 1 in right) that had been there for years. I never had any pain so no one, including me, thought to check my kidneys.

One stone was large at 1.5 cm, was embedded, and blocked at the UPJ in my left kidney. They said that stone could have been present for up to ten years. It caused marked left hydronephrosis and the renal scan showed the left kidney was functioning at 22% and the right was normal. They also said I had a thin renal cortex in the left.

My urologist did 3 separate lithos and 1 utereroscopy with Holium laser late last year over a three month period. I just saw him a month ago and after an ultrasound he said the left kidney was much better and the renal cortex was only thin in one area. I guess I will always have mild hydronephrosis but he said that too is better.

Fast forward to two weeks ago when I had a CT scan for a Crohn's check-up. The results came back that my right kidney was normal but the left showed "moderate renal atrophy and multiple focal areas of scarring." I sent the CT report to my urologist but he has not replied. I found out through research on my own that an ultrasound cannot pick up renal scarring or atrophy and a CT scan is better for that purpose. So since the urologist never did a CT scan, maybe he thinks the kidney is better because his ultrasound is not showing the whole story.

Does anyone know if an atrophied kidney with scarring is anything I should worry about? Can the left atrophied/scarred kidney remain in my body indefinitely or even forever? Am I at any higher risk for kidney infections or renal cancer from an atrophied kidney?

Thanks to anyone who can help to answer my questions. I am having trouble finding anything on the Internet about an atrophied kidney and how it is treated or if it will ever need to be removed. So I will appreciate your replies. Thanks to all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Renal Atrophy and Scarring???

Atrophied kidneys can stay in forever. Scarring is common affter so many stones. Renal function can actually improve. I do have chronic hydrohephrosis and can not have my kidney removed. It sucks but you can live with it. I am running on out of battery but will right more soon.

Closed Thread