It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
(male)

genxsis HB User
Kidney pain in morning

I've posted about this under "urology", and so have a couple other people, but no replies there, so now I'll try here....

Often when I wake up in the morning, and even in the middle of the night, I have an ache in my lower back where I believe the kidneys are. The only thing that helps is to get up and go to the bathroom to urinate. This seems strange because the bladder is up in front in the lower part of the stomach, just above the male organ, correct? Usually, this is where I feel pressure when I have a full bladder and have to go to the bathroom. So why is the pain in my lower back (mostly on the right side) when I have to go at night?

I've gone to my doctor a couple times about this. First, he did a rectal exam to check for enlarged prostate, and found nothing. The second time, he did some blood and urine tests. Still nothing. I feel like he's just thrown up his hands and given up. Does anyone here have an opinion about what the problem might be?

Old 09-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Kidney pain in morning

you may have a small kink in the ureter causing a backup of urine into the kidney. If the kink is in the ureter it will not reach the bladder yet and therefore the pain will appear in the kidney. You can have a nuclear renal scan to test this theory but the test is uncomfortable and expensive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxsis View Post
I've posted about this under "urology", and so have a couple other people, but no replies there, so now I'll try here....

Often when I wake up in the morning, and even in the middle of the night, I have an ache in my lower back where I believe the kidneys are. The only thing that helps is to get up and go to the bathroom to urinate. This seems strange because the bladder is up in front in the lower part of the stomach, just above the male organ, correct? Usually, this is where I feel pressure when I have a full bladder and have to go to the bathroom. So why is the pain in my lower back (mostly on the right side) when I have to go at night?

I've gone to my doctor a couple times about this. First, he did a rectal exam to check for enlarged prostate, and found nothing. The second time, he did some blood and urine tests. Still nothing. I feel like he's just thrown up his hands and given up. Does anyone here have an opinion about what the problem might be?
You might want to see a urolgist someone that deal in kidneys and bladder.Maybe your reg doc dont know what to do.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
(male)

rpg HB User

Next time you have the kidney pain, try taking an "alka seltzer". The seltzer will temporarily alkalize your urine in about 1 hour. If the pain goes away, you might have a high uric acid condition. This can be treated with a change in diet.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
(male)

genxsis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg View Post
Next time you have the kidney pain, try taking an "alka seltzer". The seltzer will temporarily alkalize your urine in about 1 hour. If the pain goes away, you might have a high uric acid condition. This can be treated with a change in diet.
Thank you! I will give that a try.

I'd like to note something else that happens that may or not be related. If I have to urinate real bad, and have to hold it for a long time (like when I'm on the job and not allowed to go to the bathroom except on breaks, which may be an hour away!), then when I finally go, I can't go anymore! It starts and stops a bunch of times and takes forever. This only happens when I hold it for awhile. What is this a sign of?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Good be a sign of reflux or a muscle elasticity issue, could still be my first theory.

You should never be forced to hold it for an hour until your next break. Speak to your boss privately if you may think it is a problem - under the ADA they need to make concessions. This is not a world of slave labor anymore but I will stop before I start preaching about human rights.

Holding it can be causing you serious harm. I urge you (sorry no pun intended) to stop that practice.

I for one am up at LEAST once an hour and if I had to wait ANOTHER hour until I had to go ----- it would get ugly. I use to work in customer service and had the same problem but worked it out with my boss. I now find if I wait to long I face physical consequences such as blacking out, diapheretic, vomiting or stomach bloating.

On the + side, if you have this ability to hold it under any course, you should have no problem with the renal nuclear scan.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
(male)

genxsis HB User

I'm in customer service as well. I also used to work in a warehouse where I had to do alot of lifting and I worked up a sweat. Of course, that meant having to drink alot because I got thirsty often, which meant having to urinate more. Finding out that I couldn't go to the bathroom except on breaks meant I had to decide not to drink very much and just be thirsty rather than have a full bladder all the time. That's what it takes to earn a living around here....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
(female)

BoredwithPain HB User

Im a female, 29, an Ive had kidney pain on and off for the last 4 years. Ive already had CT scan test, Ultrasounds and God knows how many antibiotics Ive taken. Still, no cure and no results other than "normal". I also usually get them worse when I first wake up but lately Ive been getting them at night as well and throughout the day. Most nights I need to sleep with a pillow under my back and sleep sidways just t make pressure on the lower back area.
Ive read people posting comments here with the same symptoms, sharp pain when breathing, and recurrent UTI's. At this point I dont know if its just a UTI or if I have kidney problems. Any suggestions?
do I need to retake the same tests again? would that make a difference?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
(male)

genxsis HB User

Boredwithpain:

I'm a male, 36.

My symptoms sound alot like yours. It sounds like you've been through alot of tests with not much in the way of results. Just this morning, I made an appointment with a urologist for Oct. 22nd. I'll let you know the results as soon as they come to me. I've waited many years for this. I've been to my general practice doctor a couple times about this problem and he doesn't seem to know what to say. So now I'm trying a urologist who specializes in the matter.

What kind of doctor were you seeing?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
(female)

BoredwithPain HB User
Thumbs up Re: Kidney pain in morning

Genxsis,

To tell you the truth, Ive seen so many that Ive lost count. I know Ive seen bad urologists (that kept giving me different antibiotics and no treatment), Ive seen a nephrologist (or 2, or 3?),which sent me to have all these tests done, general doctors, gynecologists, ... maybe my kidney is now weakened by the amount of pills and antibiotics Ive taken. Also, I regularly take headache pills, which Ive researched aren't good for the kidney, so Im trying my best to limit those. I suffer from pretty often headaches and some migraines.

I am, in fact, completely bored with this pain. I might just have to try these tests again, with not much hope...and not much money. Im just thinking they will come out as "normal" again. (sigh)

Good luck to you at your appointment, hope they find a solution for you and let us know the results.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
(male)

genxsis HB User

Hmmm....when you mentioned your frequent headache pain, it brought to mind an experience I had. I used to have headache pain all the time, and then the migraines started. Then when I got braces on my teeth (at the age of 34), it wasn't easy to eat at first, so I came up with something I could blend up into a drink in a blender. I came up with the healthiest foods I could find regardless of taste, and then add other things to make it taste better. I used spinach, pinto beans and apple juice. Right away, I noticed I almost never get headaches anymore! I attributed this to the idea that I wasn't getting enough nutrition before, and now I was. This was probably the reason for all my headaches.

Anyway, do you eat very healthily? It doesn't seem like something doctors normally ask people. Their approach is, "What drug will put a band-aid on this problem?".

I just wanted to share my experience for you to consider. You might want to give it a try. It seems like lack of nutrition accounts for so many problems people have these days.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
(female)

justthinking HB User

I wake up in the mornings with pressure and pain in my kidneys, where my bladder's been full all night. I can even feel the urine flowing back up in my kidneys sometimes. The condition relating to this is called vesicoureteral reflux. The only thing I have had show up on tests is hydronephrosis twice, & kidney stones months ago, & now I have them again cause I passed a piece of one last night. I have never been checked for the reflux but I know it's there, and it's probley due to the stones.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
(male)

genxsis HB User

Justthinking:

Did they ever tell you why your urine backs up into your kidneys and what could be done about it? Solving that problem would seem to be the first thing to do. Otherwise, I imagine permanent damage could be done.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
(male)

genxsis HB User

Boredwithpain:

As promised, here is my update since yesterday's appointment with a urologist.

He did some tests and said everything looked normal so far. He also said my lower back pain that I'm having on my right side before urinating at night doesn't appear to be a prostate problem, but more likely a bladder problem of some kind. He also said he wants me to go back for an xray of the right kidney area to see if a problem can be found. Also, he wants me to measure what I drink, and what I urinate and keep a diary of it for the next couple weeks. I don't know how I can do that if I'm not always home to pee into a measuring cup! I certainly ain't gonna do that at work, for cryin' out loud!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Here's how you measure it at work. Use a coffee cup with a lid and act like there is something in it when you bring it to the men's room with you. You can then estimate your output based on how full the cup got and noone would be any the wiser.

Closed Thread