It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

sg1crew HB User
Pain after kidney stone passes?

For the last few weeks, I've been passing a 6mm stone. Today, I caught it.

The doctor told me there is a 2mm one in the kidney.

The issue is that I'm still having flank pain (and I've taken the pain medicine). Is that normal? (I'm also on cipro so there's no infection).

Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Pain after kidney stone passes?

Congratulations. Yes you may still be feeling it. It's like being sore of a day of exercise. Your kidney just exercised a lot to get that bad boy out. Try using a heating bad and keep pushing the fluids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
(female)

Shellipoo HB User

If the stone had rough edges it could have injured you inside which would cause pain for a while until you heal. I passed a 5mm stone that had sharp jagged edges last month...I was sore for about a week after.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

boots4me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellipoo View Post
If the stone had rough edges it could have injured you inside which would cause pain for a while until you heal. I passed a 5mm stone that had sharp jagged edges last month...I was sore for about a week after.
I had a kidney stone a few years ago. Didn't have insurance at the time and thought it was kidney infection or sore muscles. I started drinking cornsilk tea which is a natural antibiotic for the kidneys. Then pain moved so I knew it had to be a stone. It only bothered at night when lying down. Have no idea what size it was but the morning I passed it I had excruciating pain. I kept up with the cornsilk tea for another week in case scratching might set up infection, but I didn't have any pain or soreness once I got rid ot it.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Boots,

Where do you get your herbs? From a naturopath? I think some of the herbs mentioned here (and on another board) are not commonly available. At least not where I shop. Do you self medicate or are you under the care of a naturopath? Just wondering. I am on quite a few meds and too afraid (but extremely tempted) to mix them with any herbs. It takes a lot of knowledge to use them correctly, I would think.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
(female)

boots4me HB User

Flowergirl,

I can appreciate your concern about trying herbs. I self-medicate and have for a long time, but I haven't had reason to use too many. I learned most of what I know from an herbalist that cured my asthma, talking to others she treated, as well as friends that use herbs. The herbalist was a master herbalist and wrote approx 18 books. Two of the best are God Helps Those That Help Themselves and Healing With Herbs A to Z. Her name is Hannah Kroeger. I've done a lot of reading, but I think her books are the most informative. I have allergic/adverse reactions to many meds, or problem drs so I've learned some things out of necessity to avoid the meds.

A lot of herbs are pretty specific. Cornsilk is for use if one has kidney stones and harmless if you don't - it's a diuretic. Don't buy something recommended at health food stores. They don't concern themselves with contraindications. I do better on my own. I keep it simple and generally stick to one whole herb (for tea), perhaps a combination of two in capsules. I buy the teas I use where they sell herbs in bulk. I'm sensitive to a lot of things but I've never had a reaction, not even a slight headache taking any of them and if I did I wouldn't touch it again.

Herbs are medicinal and not all are 100% safe. If you want to try something, information about which are toxic with long-term use (about 10 are) as well as certain ones you should avoid when taking certain meds is readily available. Do your research, and double-check with a pharmacist to be sure it's okay. Some are good for a specific thing, but they might need one other thing with them to work. It can get complicated, so I keep it simple. Before I wound up having to take meds I didn't have to worry about it but now I do. Fortunately, what I've used for years is safe with the meds.

Boots

Closed Thread