It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
(female)

TLValiant HB User
Quick Question

Some of you might remember my ongoing struggle with kidney stones. I have had 2 one in each kidney for almost a year now. The left is approx 8mm and the right one is 4.4 mm. Well I decided to leave them there for 1 because I have had so many surgeries in the past year and basically because the doctor told me they could be there forever and never pass. So we decided to monitor them. I have not had any problems with them until yesterday. It seemed out of no where that when I went to the restroom there was blood in my urine. It was light pink at first and then got darker until finally it was dark red. I called the medical exchange for my doctor and got the on call doctor. Basically he told that if I am not in blinding pain don't worry about it and to drink a lot of water to flush out my kidneys. Well I started drinking water but I am also have a dull ache in my back above my right kidney as well and it burning when I try to go the restroom. I am trying to save as much time as I can since I am almost out at work but I am wondering should I wait for the blinding pain? I have never had blood visible before when I urinated and it kinda scared me. On top of all of that I have been having heart related issues and found out I have a blocked artery in my heart...arrgghhh, all of this and I am not even 40 yet..lol

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Terry

Old 11-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Quick Question

I think it would depend on how much blood? a drop in water looks like tons.If you have alot of bleeding or heart problems maybe you should go to the ER and get checked out.However i would forsure go see your doctor asap.Im guessing since im no doctor the stone is trying to move.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

It sounds like the stone is either stuck or you have developing an infection. Another poster from MD had a similar problem and was also in law enforcement. Do you wear a gun belt at work? That was putting strain on his stone and he had problems with bleeding.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

TLValiant HB User

hope,

I am definitely considering going to the ER. The pain is not going away and the tylenol is not helping. I just hate this. My stones have done so well and have not bothered me at all to all of a sudden have this happen is making me so mad. I should have taken care of them sooner.

2plus,

No, we don't wear gun belts but I am wondering with sitting so much, leaning back, etc if that is not causing some of the pain. I know that the only time it seems a little relieved is when I am in the fetal position. I ended up sleeping like that last night. I really wish I would have taken care of this sooner. I know I am an idiot...

Terry

Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

You are not an idiot, you are a loving wife and a loyal worker who had a large plate full of stuff to take care of. I find the fetal position is best for me. Sitting a lot only helps stones settle and can worsen the problem. Make sure you get up to stretch every once and a while. I have even gotten to the point where I pace while on phone calls to keep things flowing. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It seems the pain is back to a dull ache in my back radiating to the front. I do not notice the blood in my urine anymore so I am guessing this is a good sign. I am going to call tomorrow morning and see if I can get in so they can at least check me and make sure I am ok. I cannot believe how long this weekend has been.

I hope you are alright hon and thank you again for being here.

Terry

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
(male)

logmgr HB User

Sounds to me like the stone may be starting to cause an infection, I had similar pain last year which finally put me to where I could not move because of pain....spent overnight in the hospital with antibiotic IV.

More recently I also have a 8mm stone and a 2mm in one kidney and a 1mm in the other, I had the bleeding you described; the MD gave 10 days of antibiotic which did not help....then suddenly it stopped as fast as it began.
I go to the urologist tomorrow again.

Hope this helps...BYW: Tylinol will not releave pain in the long run.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
(female)

TLValiant HB User

logmgr,

You know I found that out with the tylenol it does not really work. I am still feeling the dull ache and it almost feels like my kidneys are full of liquid like they are sloshing when I walk if that makes sense..lol I am definitely calling my doctor first thing in the morning to see what I can do. I don't know how much longer I can go on with this pain.

Thank you so much for your response and good luck with your appt hon.

Terry

Old 11-12-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

Sloshing when you walk may be indicative of hydronephrosis or obstruction. I agree it is time to be Terry first for a while and get it checked.

Do you feel something hard on your side (about where your kidney is) with severe hydronephrosis you can feel the distention of the kidney.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

It almost feels like it is swollen or something like that. When I touch my right side towards the back it is tender to the touch. The pain is still basically the dull ache with an occassional painful twinge. I no longer see the blood but still am not going as much as I should especially since I am on 2 different diuretics now. I have a call into the on call doctor, apparently mine is on vacation for the week and I am waiting for them to call back. I know that I can't take this pain anymore. It is driving me crazy. I promise to put myself first. That is why I went ahead and make a follow up with my cardio doctor as well to talk about an angiogram for the blocked artery.

Thank you so much for being here for me, it means a lot..I am thinking of you as well dear.

Terry

Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
(female)

TLValiant HB User

Well here is an update:

I was able to get into my doctor's office today at 3pm. I went in and had to wait a bit before they finally brought me back. Well they had me pee in a cup and I answered some questions for the nurse. I never once saw the doctor. I could hear the nurse whispering to the doctor outside the door, saying a little about my urine test results but I couldn't quite hear and then something about a CT scan. The nurse came back in told me that I needed a CT scan. I asked her if everything was alright with the urine test and was told the doctor didnt even look at it that they wanted the CT scan because of my history with kidney stones. I was never so mad in my life. I wasted my time even being there. I couldn't even schedule the damn CT scan because the person that does that had already left. So I am basically in the same position having to wait yet another day. I am so tired of all of this. I just want to go run, hide and scream as loud as I can.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:19 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

I would have demanded to see him. I would be like well when is he coming in. If no, no reason to pay the co-pay. The co-pay is to SEE the doctor not SEE the nurse.

I am not too stressed out right now but am always up for a group scream!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

I am still waiting to hear from the damn doctor so I can do the CT scan..I cannot believe how rude they are being. I cannot wait until my doctor comes back from vacation. I am going to have a long talk with her about her staff including the other doctor seeing her patients. I want to cry because of all of this...

Will keep you updated...

Terry

Old 11-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
(female)

TLValiant HB User

2plus,

Finally heard from the doctor after the CT scan. My doctor actually called me herself which put me a bit at ease. Apparently both stones are still in my kidneys. From what she could see it looks like they were moving around a bit inside and that was what caused the blood and pain. She wants them to come out but I have to wait until after my angiogram on December 6th in case I am put on blood thinners. If I am then we cant do the lithotripsy. Seems like everything is wanting to happen now..I am scared I have to admit....I will be patient and wait and see what happens. She did tell me if I started peeing blood again to get in and see her as soon as possible. When I do get a chance I am going to speak to her about the staff at the doctors office and what they put me through this week. If it werent for my doctor I would look elsewhere because of the attitude of the staff.

Take care.

Terry

Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

great you go some news
and even greater if they dont cause you any more problems

Closed Thread