It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Macracker3 HB User
how can you tell if a kidney stone has moved

how can you tell if a kidney stone has moved

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: how can you tell if a kidney stone has moved

Pain like you wouldn't believe!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
(female)

Macracker3 HB User

I will explain my situation and let me know what you think. This past Wed(Nov. 14) I dropped my husband off at work, and was driving home when out of the blue I got this pain OMG I wanted to die!!! It was to the point that I had a hard time driving. By the time that I had gotten home it had subsided, so the first thing that came to my mind was a kidney infection. Well I ended up getting that pain 2 more times that day. The next day I was fine, but I had a little discomfort and the same thing on Fri. Well Sat rolled around and I woke up and I felt that discomfort again, but this time it began to build and I was in that pain again(The kind that makes you want to throw yourself in front of a bus). I finally decided to go to the emergency room because by this time I was really scared and I had know idea what was wrong with me. Well 5 hours later another bout with that pain and they finall diagnosed me with a 6mm kidney stone in my right kidney. It is now Tues. and I have not passed it. The Dr. at the ER said to make an appointment with a doctor because she was not sure if I would be able to pass it. My main question is does every bout with the renal colic have to be as painful or can the pain range? Also, How can you tell if it has moved( I am still getting anykind of pain in the same spot). Will it be hard to pass a 6mm stone or will I have to go through one of those procedures( some people say yes and some say it might be a little to big to pass) Any info would help.

Last edited by Macracker3; 11-20-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: mispelled a word

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macracker3 View Post
I will explain my situation and let me know what you think. This past Wed(Nov. 14) I dropped my husband off at work, and was driving home when out of the blue I got this pain OMG I wanted to die!!! It was to the point that I had a hard time driving. By the time that I had gotten home it had subsided, so the first thing that came to my mind was a kidney infection. Well I ended up getting that pain 2 more times that day. The next day I was fine, but I had a little discomfort and the same thing on Fri. Well Sat rolled around and I woke up and I felt that discomfort again, but this time it began to build and I was in that pain again(The kind that makes you want to throw yourself in front of a bus). I finally decided to go to the emergency room because by this time I was really scared and I had know idea what was wrong with me. Well 5 hours later another bout with that pain and they finall diagnosed me with a 6mm kidney stone in my right kidney. It is now Tues. and I have not passed it. The Dr. at the ER said to make an appointment with a doctor because she was not sure if I would be able to pass it. My main question is does every bout with the renal colic have to be as painful or can the pain range? Also, How can you tell if it has moved( I am still getting anykind of pain in the same spot). Will it be hard to pass a 6mm stone or will I have to go through one of those procedures( some people say yes and some say it might be a little to big to pass) Any info would help.
If it is not blocking anything sometimes they do nothing and see if it will pass on its own.Also i think most that are 5 or less they let try to pass on there own.I would say the pain can be very bad to nothing much.However no pain could be bad.Usally pain means it is moving.Drink lots and lots of water and see what the urolgist says.

Last edited by hopesprings2; 11-20-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: missed spelling

Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

6mm may have to be broken up. The ureter ig generally 3-6 mm wide depending on the person previous stones and the age of the person. I would wait to see what doc says.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I didnt realize I had a stone in my kidney nor never will.
I had a cyclic type of pain radiating in my pelvic area and down to my r/side where the appendix is. It was right before Christmas. I was shopping that day and felt kind of ill when I woke up. pain started in a.m. got worst by lunch time. went to ER , they did CT scan and said I had right hydronephoris with right hydrorouter, but with no stone.
they said i MAY have passed it. they didn't see anything.
I hear it's the worst kind of pain anyone will suffer and they say it's worst than childbirth. I didn't know there was anything worst than childbirth in my opinon and still don't.
passing that stone if I actually passed one, wasn't bad at all.
a year before it even happened I do recall having problems w/ urination.
when i had to go, it would be hard to get the process going and would hurt, like a sharp knife passing thru me. plus i wasn't able to empty totally.
not like an UTI, this was different. I knew something was wrong so went to a urologist and had my bladder scoped. he didn't see anything wrong.
I had to urinate frequently too but I thought it was from drinking my bottled water at work. It was embarrassing to always be seen heading into the bathroom.
so even a urologist didn't know I had a kidney problem brewing.
it's still a mystery to me today.
I have a very very tiny one that's in the kidney but it's not causing problems for me. it's on the other kidney now.
no one is following it up. they didn't tell me to.

I also had chronic constipation due to IBS which my gyno said that having compaction like that sitting on the organs can cause hydronephrosis and hydrouter. I never knew that. The cat scan hid some areas due to too much stool in the intestine.
so I'm wondering if that's what caused me to wind up in the ER that day being it wasn't so bad for me. they gave me a non narcotic pain medication that helped take away my pain and I left there after having the CT scan and i never had the problem again.

so I really dont' know either if you can tell a kidney stone is passing.
even though they think i passed one.
I hope you're able to pass yours without much difficulty.
good luck,

Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
(female)

Macracker3 HB User

Thank you, I hope I can pass it before I have to spend an arm and a leg at the Doctors. I am doing good today so far no pain. Yesterday was a bit more painful. I just hope I don't get a bout with the pain trying to make Thanksgiving dinner. I just keep telling myself that it must have passed it that is why the pain is not here, but then I would think that I would probably feel a 6mm stone come out. I have been straining my urine and i have had nothing. So as far as I know since this past Sat. it was not passed and I have seen nothing. Would you feel a 6mm stone come out?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

As a female you may not feel it come out. You may feel a slight pressure and release but there may be no pain.

Closed Thread