It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Ali04 HB User
when is it time to begin dialysis? gfr of 13

hi, i am 33 years old and had a lupus crisis in july. after spending one month in the hospital, they were not able to save my kidneys. the nephrologist says they function at about 10% (it could be less

i do not know when they actually start the dialysis. i really dont get any straight answer except that function will not come back, and they MUST get the fistula in place. i am very nervous because i have also had one stroke, as well as numerous clots in the upper extremety deep vessels. the surgery has to be done in patient, and they dont know if there is even time for the thing to mature. now they say that in an emergent situation, they will do dialysis in the groin. i am freaking out this was not supposed to happen to me.

i guess my question is this..at what function did they start the dialysis? i am trying to prepare since i am still working.

any advise would be appreciated.

current creatinine at 4.2. tp/creat ratio is 3.5.
total protein in cup urine is 100+ rbc casts greater than 50

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
(female)

deedee1313 HB User
Re: when is it time to begin dialysis? gfr of 13

My husbands doctor said that when function drops to 15% that you have to go on dialysis.They put an HD catheter in his chest to do dialysis.He had that for over a year before they put in a fistula.When they did the fistula it cut off the blood flow to the hand and they had to go in and tie it off.Then he was back to a HD catheter.You also might ask about peritoneal dialysis.That is one that you do at home.My husband did very well on that until he got an infection and they had to remove the catheter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali04 View Post
hi, i am 33 years old and had a lupus crisis in july. after spending one month in the hospital, they were not able to save my kidneys. the nephrologist says they function at about 10% (it could be less

i do not know when they actually start the dialysis. i really dont get any straight answer except that function will not come back, and they MUST get the fistula in place. i am very nervous because i have also had one stroke, as well as numerous clots in the upper extremety deep vessels. the surgery has to be done in patient, and they dont know if there is even time for the thing to mature. now they say that in an emergent situation, they will do dialysis in the groin. i am freaking out this was not supposed to happen to me.

i guess my question is this..at what function did they start the dialysis? i am trying to prepare since i am still working.

any advise would be appreciated.

current creatinine at 4.2. tp/creat ratio is 3.5.
total protein in cup urine is 100+ rbc casts greater than 50
Sorry that it took me a while to respond (I'm in the middle of a move and going a bit nuts LOL). Anyway, there are guidelines, but no real set point. Some people feel horrible at a creatinine level of 3 and others (like myself) didn't start until a much higher level (over 8 in my case). It depends a lot on how you feel, and how your electrolyte and water balance is. Too high potassium can be dangerous so you want to watch that.

Have you thought about peritoneal dialysis? It is quite common here in Canada but not so much in the US. You should investigate it to check out all your options. One of the nice thngs about it is that you can eat much more freely (few if any potassium restrictions) and can travel more easily as well. There are pros and cons to any form of dialysis, but the really good news is that nothing is ever going to be as bad as you imagined.

I was on the opposite coast from where I live when I was forced on dialysis (I knew it was coming) by a sudden case of pneumonia. I had a femoral line (catheter put in through the groin) and later had lines in my neck. I was on hemo for a year (tried peritoneal but it didn't work because of female plumbing issues) and then had a transplant. I know things are scary, but you will be ok.

Take care.

Cora

Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
(female)

Ali04 HB User

thank you so much ladies!
these are the first direct answers i am getting.

i feel good cora. i am glad to hear they just do not do it over the serum levels. i am being controlled for the potassium with lasix, and i am on a lot of bp meds. bp and potassium and phosphorus are my biggest problem.
dr says i am also wasting. i was thin to start, and losing rapidly and now have a bmi under 20.

peritoneal dialysis was brought up to me but i have a lot of issues with peritonitis (and fluid in abdominal cavity) that i am afraid of infection. i think they are as well.

take care. happy holdays, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for answering my post. it was so helpful. now i can share with my husband.

good health to all..
ali

Closed Thread