It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
(male)

spatialrelate HB User
Thumbs up ACE Inhibitors & Renal/Kidney Failure

I had a friend who recently was moved to dialysis because of problems with his kidneys and I just went on a vein and started reading about ACE inhibitors and their side effects and renal/kidney failure. I didn't realize this growing health problem either through disease and or malpractice (misdiagnoses, failure to detect, mis-prescribing drugs). I am starting this thread simply as an information source but I do not purport to be any expert, doctor or any other medical professional but I can say this: When I search online, if no result comes up after my searches, it means it doesn't exist. I am also researching very extensively child kidney, child nephrology and pediatric kidney failure, which I find most unfortunate but fascinating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: ACE Inhibitors & Renal/Kidney Failure

I certainly hope that you are not suggesting that ACE inhibitors cause kidney failure. They are the first line of defense against it, and are the gold standard in helping to prevent kidney failure in people with diabetes.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I suppose people can go into a renal failure while on this and any other medication. Perhaps that's what the poster meant? As you, I am a huge fan of ACE inhibitors myself. They are very versatile and have proven to be lifesavers for people with our types of health problems. What would we do without them?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Just a few minutes ago while reading about renovascular hypertension in one of my new books, I came across information confirming that ACE Inhibitors and Angiontensin Receptor Blockers (ARBs) can indeed cause renal failure. In a nutshell:

Under certain circumstances -when bilateral renal artery stenosis or unilateral renal artery stenosis to a single functioning kidney is present, ACE Is or ARBs may induce renal failure. When the blood pressure is reduced, the angiotensin-II dependent postglomerular vasoconstriction is relieved, which results in a reduced glomerular filtration. Interesting, isn't it? I didn't know that!
PS. The book was written by world's leading experts on hypertension and published just last year, making it a very reliable source of information.

flowergirl

Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
(male)

spatialrelate HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coravh View Post
I certainly hope that you are not suggesting that ACE inhibitors cause kidney failure. They are the first line of defense against it, and are the gold standard in helping to prevent kidney failure in people with diabetes.

Cora
I apologize for being so general in my initial posting. Where ACE Inhibitors are indeed the first line of defense for people with kidney/renal failure, hypertension and certain types of coronary conditions, there are certain side effects associated with the application of ACE Inhibitors for people with these conditions. I also said it was a good read. In future posts on this subject, I will project more balanced information.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
(female)

Arggg HB UserArggg HB UserArggg HB User

I was prescribed ACE inhibitors after kidney failure. I was reluctant to go on them at first, because my blood pressure is already low, but they convinced me I needed them after a urine test showed elevated microalbumin. They said if I took them, it would cause less stress on my kidneys (GFR is around 50 - they're working but not really well) and make them "last longer". In order words, avoid dialysis for a longer time. They convinced me! I take a very low dose and I've adjusted.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Arggg,

Glad to hear that. The ACE inhibitors are fine most of the time. It is only under certain circumstances that they can do us more harm than good. I have done more reading about this subject and strongly believe in this medication. (I take 20mg daily). I am on medication that is contraindicated in people with kidney disease. I am not thrilled about that. I think our doctors use the benefit-risk ratio a bit too freely. Keeping an eye on my kidney function does not help me feel much better.
ACE inhibitors are used extensively for the purpose of preserving kidney function and slowing the progression of kidney disease. They are also used as a preventative therapy in people with diabetes (like my hubby), because they have been shown to either prevent or delay the onset of diabetic nephropathy.
You are doing great with your GFR and the ACE inhibitors will help you keep it that way.

Good luck,
flowergirl

Closed Thread